[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?
motd2k Wrote:This should now be fixed on SVN.

Wow, and with a "one line patch", that's what I call being efficient! Laugh Laugh

Really, many thanks for your work motd2k...
liq456 Wrote:I dont get any subs with build r24143. How do I go back to get subs?

Please see this - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 - we can't improve with cryptic error reports.
Smile 
Hi,

using PPA rev 9.04.3+svn24153-jaunty1, subtitles seem ok in a batch of files I tested.

Although the system font corruption is still there... (got it after playing/checking subtitles/stopping the 3rd file I tried)

Anyway, thank you very much Motd2k!

Regards,
Typhoe
typhoe,

Please could you try latest SVN if you suffered from UI font corruption.
@mod2k

svn24153 is the latest version available on the svn ppa for now.

I'll check tomorrow (with a new svn built available I hope) if the corruption is still persistent.

Can you tell us on what svn release you committed your corrections?
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/24171/trunk
Thanks motd2k!
Perfectly working with r24171 & nvidia drivers 190.42
motd2k Wrote:Please see this - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 - we can't improve with cryptic error reports.

I fixed it, I had to reset my gui settings, video scaling was stuck and was causing the subs not to show.
Hmm.. I spoke to soon...maybe I've found a problem:
I've tested it on a second machine (zotac ion), different only for the hardware (8200 on the desktop), but same kernel, nvidia driver, ubuntu version, svn revision.
On the desktop i don't use a custom video calibration, but on the zotac i do to compensate the overscan of my plasma.
With custom video calibration ssa subtitles are not displayed (and the old workaround of switching to a different render and thanb back to vdpau doesn't work anymore) while srt are. Then I've deleted guisettings.xml and at reboot without touching video calibration ssa subtitles work. But as soon as you touch video calibration they go away again.
I've then tried the same procedure on my desktop and I was able to reproduce the issue... as soon as I touched borders with video calibration.

Bye.
Okay - that's not related, please could you open a trac?
Kurosama Wrote:Hmm.. I spoke to soon...maybe I've found a problem:
I've tested it on a second machine (zotac ion), different only for the hardware (8200 on the desktop), but same kernel, nvidia driver, ubuntu version, svn revision.
On the desktop i don't use a custom video calibration, but on the zotac i do to compensate the overscan of my plasma.
With custom video calibration ssa subtitles are not displayed (and the old workaround of switching to a different render and thanb back to vdpau doesn't work anymore) while srt are. Then I've deleted guisettings.xml and at reboot without touching video calibration ssa subtitles work. But as soon as you touch video calibration they go away again.
I've then tried the same procedure on my desktop and I was able to reproduce the issue... as soon as I touched borders with video calibration.

Bye.

I may be experiencing this as well, as I also have a plasma screen with a bit of overscan that I adjust for. I noticed that the subs seemed to disappear when I updated to 24143, but I hadn't really looked into it, as I've been putting off watching anything with SSA subs until the text corruption issue was resolved (thanks, motd2k). When I have the chance, I'll see if they come back after deleting guisettings.xml.
motd2k Wrote:Okay - that's not related, please could you open a trac?

First time using trac... I hope is fine:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7522

tnx for your hard work.
Well, had also some problems with corrupted fonts ... It's gone since i installed the 190.42 nvidia drivers ...

I'm under rev 24153

Hope it will help ...
Thumbs Up 
motd2k Wrote:typhoe,

Please could you try latest SVN if you suffered from UI font corruption.

Hi,

svn 24183 (from ppa jaunty) with nvidia binary driver 190.42 works perfectly fine now!
No UI or subtitles font corruption anymore so far. So thank you very much!

These issues seem definitely solved.

Typhoe
I'm glad I kept following this thread after the fix was announced and read ticket #7552.

After reading about ASS/SSA subtitle corruption being fixed I updated to r24183 only to find my corrupt subtitles had disappeared entirely.

Quick fix was to delete guisettings.xml to reset screen calibration.

Seeing as most of my anime is 24 or 30fps I've set XBMC default to 1080P@50hz and enabled change refresh rate. This way I can calibrate the 50hz resolution to keep the menus etc on screen and properly proportioned, and live with the mild overscan and working subtitles when the output switches to 24/60hz.

I wonder if it's the only the overscan calibration that seems to be making the subtitles disappear, or changing the subtitle position or pixel ratio will produce the same effect?

I'll check when I get home and update the ticket if I find anything interesting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] VDPAU and embedded SSA/ASS subtitles?0