[MAC] Proposed changes to README.osx
Hi,

I've been able to compile XBMC via the xcode GUI, but hadn't until now managed to succeed via the command-line. The reason for my previous lack of success on this front, is that I hadn't found (or followed) the instructions in linuxport/XBMC/tools/XBMCTex/README.osx.

If I understand correctly, the instructions in linuxport/XBMC/README.osx take the default stance that the user is building a 'cross-compiled' application (with advice on how to opt for a 'native-compiled' application, whereas the README.osx for XBMCTex takes the opposite stance.

The instructions from the XBMCTex file could potentially be moved up to the main README.osx file or simply given a mention in it. I've uploaded a version of linuxport/XBMC/README.osx to pastebin with some minor suggested changes;

http://fergus.pastebin.com/mb1e126a

Changed lines are highlighted in pastebin, and summarised as;
  • From Line 153 - Changed two-line Macports tip to a one-line tip (so it can be run natively from a user's own bash scipt).
  • From Line 234 - New comment referring to XBMCTex.

Finally, I'd query whether the command-line references at the foot of section 4.1 are still relevant now that section 4.2 covers this topic?

Feel free to ignore this as you see fit (no offence taken) or amend/upload it to svn accordingly.

Cheers

Fergus.
Fergus Wrote:Hi,

I've been able to compile XBMC via the xcode GUI, but hadn't until now managed to succeed via the command-line. The reason for my previous lack of success on this front, is that I hadn't found (or followed) the instructions in linuxport/XBMC/tools/XBMCTex/README.osx.

If I understand correctly, the instructions in linuxport/XBMC/README.osx take the default stance that the user is building a 'cross-compiled' application (with advice on how to opt for a 'native-compiled' application, whereas the README.osx for XBMCTex takes the opposite stance.

The instructions from the XBMCTex file could potentially be moved up to the main README.osx file or simply given a mention in it. I've uploaded a version of linuxport/XBMC/README.osx to pastebin with some minor suggested changes;

http://fergus.pastebin.com/mb1e126a

Changed lines are highlighted in pastebin, and summarised as;
  • From Line 153 - Changed two-line Macports tip to a one-line tip (so it can be run natively from a user's own bash scipt).
  • From Line 234 - New comment referring to XBMCTex.

Finally, I'd query whether the command-line references at the foot of section 4.1 are still relevant now that section 4.2 covers this topic?

Feel free to ignore this as you see fit (no offence taken) or amend/upload it to svn accordingly.

Cheers

Fergus.

applied changed in Line 234, r20696.

I skipped the change in Line 153, the "sudo bash" primes sudo so you don't get hit with a sudo/password prompt when running the perl line. Script builder will also have to satisfy the sudo/password in order to install MacPort packages.

Section 4.2 is really a different method to build from make, without the use of the Xcode project. It's a work in progress.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Proposed changes to README.osx0