[PATCH] "Always On Top" option (for Windowed Mode) in XBMC for Windows
kricker Wrote:You asked the following,
So that is what I was responding to.

Also, as I read it the patch is to enable or disable always ontop for window mode. Why limit it to only windowed mode and not have it for all modes?

I use Evenghost for controlling my HTPC. To switch to SageTV from XBMC I call an Evenghost event (from a home screen menu item in XBMC) which triggers SageTV to open from the tray to a specific screen. Doing this from XBMC means that XBMC calls EG and then switches back to "ontop" hiding SageTV behind it. If XBMC wouldn't try to always be ontop this would not happen, so being able to disable always ontop in fullscreen would have a benefit. The XBMC always minimizing when launching other apps is a related discussion, but I know it's not for this thread.

In your scenario you should do the following, which should work already.

You have XBMC, fullscreen or not.
1: Press button on remote
2: Action on that button does MINIMIZE XBMC.
3: SageTV or the other app you want to switch to should get maximize.

This has nothing to do with always on top, it is completely irrelevant for this thread.

But since reading your ticket I understand what you want, it's off topic for this patch and I have tried to explain why in the ticket. I guess you want something like windowed which takes entire screen without the border for fast alt+tabbing. What WoW have for instance.

@CrashX
XBMC is windowed from first installation and I, in gnome, just need to right click on the border and can then choose "Always on top"
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Tops:

I have ubuntu 8.10 and latest xbmc build off svn and still it won't go into window mode. I launch xbmc without any parameters and no advancedsettings used.
Code:
rm -rf ~/.xbmc
xbmc

And you should have windowed.
disclaimer it will wipe your userdata so backup it before trying it Wink
The xsession script will default to fullscreen.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
@CrashX

Thanks for the hint - but thats not what I look for (I'll give it a try anyway).
My problem is that the external player (vlc) does not gain focus AUTOMATICALLY when launched from within XBMC. I can bring it to foreground by pressin Apple-Tab...

@davilla [BIG REQUEST]
Could you PLEASE take some time for it (please please please...)

Best regards,

TvonT
@tvont

I believe VLC has an option to be on top always ?
CrashX Wrote:@tvont

I believe VLC has an option to be on top always ?

VLC will not get on top unless xbmc gives up of the window layer it's at. It's specifically requesting to be shown on the layer that's above ALL other windows.
davilla Wrote:VLC will not get on top unless xbmc gives up of the window layer it's at. It's specifically requesting to be shown on the layer that's above ALL other windows.

unfortunately true.
tvont Wrote:unfortunately true.

@tvont see svn commit -> 20853
Dang, so OSX and Linux can both giveup the always ontop in fullscreen, but not windows. I may need to think of switching.
davilla Wrote:@tvont see svn commit -> 20853

Build it tonight!
Does this also solve the on-top thing while beeing in widowed mode (former I had to Apple-Tab to the vlc window, even if vlc was set to video-on-top)

THANKS!!!!
tvont Wrote:Build it tonight!
Does this also solve the on-top thing while beeing in widowed mode (former I had to Apple-Tab to the vlc window, even if vlc was set to video-on-top)

THANKS!!!!

windowed mode should not be preventing another app from grabbing top.
davilla Wrote:windowed mode should not be preventing another app from grabbing top.

Hmmm....does this mean that vlc does not properly grab top? (if launched by command line, it does)
@davilla

I built last night and am now checking with advancedsettings.xml
<alwaysOnTop>false</alwaysOnTop> should make XBMC giving up TopMost, right?
Unfortunately there is no change in video behavior in the window management. I can switch to VLC by hotkey - still no video but I can quit VLC by pressing Apple-Q (after hotkeying to VLC)

Any chance to get you having another look into it?

Thanks,

TvonT
Lower case only tags in XML.

tvont Wrote:@davilla

I built last night and am now checking with advancedsettings.xml
<alwaysontop>false</alwaysontop> should make XBMC giving up TopMost, right?
Unfortunately there is no change in video behavior in the window management. I can switch to VLC by hotkey - still no video but I can quit VLC by pressing Apple-Q (after hotkeying to VLC)

Any chance to get you having another look into it?

Thanks,

TvonT

humm, http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/20853/bra...terface.mm

<alwaysontop>false</alwaysontop>

does this in code

[mainWindow setLevel:NSNormalWindowLevel];

that mean fullscreen in xbmc is a normal borderless window and anything else should be about to get on top.

pastebin your full "advancedsettings.xml" file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] "Always On Top" option (for Windowed Mode) in XBMC for Windows1