DVD ISO playback problem
Ok, googling to see how to now.

Readng this page - http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-cpu-state.html
I tried to change the power setting to always on. No change in plyback. Still pauses.

Bobo, is what you are describing the multiplier bouncing around to save energy? Something I can see with the program cpu-z?

I also just tried disabling CPU TN and Intel Speedstep in the bios. Same results.

Also if this is cpu related wouldnt the file have the same issues playing from the local hard drive? These pauses only happen from playing over a SMB file. I am just guessing here though.
OK so for the heck of it I pulled out one of the VOB files from the ISO I have been testing with. Oddly enough it played fine with no pausing or frame drops. I have been testing with multiple ISOs, so I know it's not just this particular one.

So could anything have changed with the way ISO files extract, since I know the VOB files themselves play fne.
davilla Wrote:found another thing to try.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/20562

line 4620 in /xbmc/Application.cpp.

dbs.AddBookMarkToFile(m_lastFileName, VideoResumeBookmark, CBookmark::RESUME);

comment this line out and retest.

database updates are slow on windows, there's a patch or two pending that might speed it up.

This updates the database with your watched position (for possible resume), this happens in the rendering thread and if the update is slow, it can glitch playback.

Wiso,
Would it be a nightmare to ask if you could compile this one as well? I know I should be learning this myself so I understand if you dont want to, or dont have time to. I feel like Im on my last leg for trying things. Ive spent hours playing with every other setting I can think of.
SlaveUnit Wrote:OK so for the heck of it I pulled out one of the VOB files from the ISO I have been testing with. Oddly enough it played fine with no pausing or frame drops. I have been testing with multiple ISOs, so I know it's not just this particular one.

So could anything have changed with the way ISO files extract, since I know the VOB files themselves play fne.

DVD/ISO files run through the dvdnav playback path. A VOB by itself uses the normal playback path. The one difference is the buffer read size, dvdnav uses 2048 bytes, the other 32k bytes. That's could make a difference on a marginal wireless connection.
Makes sense. Next I was going to try a TS_VIDEO.

I still find it odd that it worked fine before. I dont think we saw anything change with dvdnav on those 9 or 10 SVNs. But like you said it could be the factor of making the timestamp for resume play. Ill try a TS_VIDEO and get back in a few mins.

EDIT: Yeah I think you are correct. Going to a TS_VIDEO folder in videos mode (not library) if I start the movie from the ifo file it will stutter/pause. When I start the same move from one of the VOB files it is fine. Is there any way to change the buffer size on dvdnav?
SlaveUnit Wrote:Makes sense. Next I was going to try a TS_VIDEO.

I still find it odd that it worked fine before. I dont think we saw anything change with dvdnav on those 9 or 10 SVNs. But like you said it could be the factor of making the timestamp for resume play. Ill try a TS_VIDEO and get back in a few mins.

EDIT: Yeah I think you are correct. Going to a TS_VIDEO folder in videos mode (not library) if I start the movie from the ifo file it will stutter/pause. When I start the same move from one of the VOB files it is fine. Is there any way to change the buffer size on dvdnav?

no, dvdnav needs a 2048 byte block size.

the other thing to look at is your server side. maybe something there to help push out smaller blocks.
davilla Wrote:no, dvdnav needs a 2048 byte block size.

the other thing to look at is your server side. maybe something there to help push out smaller blocks.

Ok I will look into that. It just seems crazy to me that I can put back 20552 and its fine again. I even tried this on another build I have (same machine different drive). Just in case some network settings changed some how.
So back to the compiling part. Once I get to this what do I do. the wiki doesnt really say anything.

4>XBMC - 0 error(s), 359 warning(s)
========== Build: 4 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Can I just take the xbmc.exe from \project\VS2008Express\XBMC\Debug (SDL) and use it?

I dont even see the line in /xbmc/Application.cpp. Would it be missing since the current SVN is a lot newer now?

dbs.AddBookMarkToFile(m_lastFileName, VideoResumeBookmark, CBookmark::RESUME);

Edit: Well for now I will check out all the SVNs and complie (assuming I am doing it correctly) and see which one ruins the playback Smile
Ok so I compiled the majority of these so I could pin down the exact SVN that was causing the issues. Each one worked fine except for SVN20562 which is http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/20562. I see the trac says "May need some further refinement/tweaking". So in this case is there any way to take it out until it is tested a bit more. I can work with arnova to test the code as he goes if needed (at least with the pausing situation).
It's nice to see you are digging into this as much as you are! Thanks for that Smile I'm still experiencing the issue, but it definitely is not nearly as bad as it was previously.
SlaveUnit Wrote:Ok so I compiled the majority of these so I could pin down the exact SVN that was causing the issues. Each one worked fine except for SVN20562 which is http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/20562. I see the trac says "May need some further refinement/tweaking". So in this case is there any way to take it out until it is tested a bit more. I can work with arnova to test the code as he goes if needed (at least with the pausing situation).

if you look at the changeset, you will see the call to "dbs.AddBookMarkToFile" in branches/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/Application.cpp, line 4620. Comment out this line. This is the call to update the database with the bookmark.
Maybe I am checking it out incorrectly, but the only Application.cpp I have is in /xbmc and on line 4620 there is only a "}". <--- that is speaking of 20562 and looking at the Trac isnt that part edited out already? I do see that code in 20561 though. But that one played fine. 20562 was the first one that skips form me.
smcnally75 Wrote:I've been having the same issue for the last few builds. ISO playback from my NAS has been very weird. Plays fine for a while and then I get either a weird quick pause or it skips forward for a split second. I haven't had time to debug it or really dig into it but it definitely has been a noticeable issue.

Your NAS on a wired or wireless network?
EDIT: Out of context info ... deleted.
Would there be any reason I cannot login into the Trac system? I am using the same l/p as the forums but get "Invalid username or password" each time. Thanks.

I am guessing that my last try to get this resolved is to make a ticket for it?

This issue is killing me because I cant get past SVN20561 and have been waiting months for the HD Flagging feature to come alive and finally it has.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD ISO playback problem0