Automatic video mode switching when loading game
first of all, i won't go near this, since i have no 1.6 and no hd Wink

but i'll tell you that it should be doable. you could use the same trick that we use to setup the game region, that is patching the in-memory eeprom copy.
should just be a matter of adjusting the offsets.
Is there anyway to force XBMC to enable the 480p mode without putting the xbox in to NTSC??

I have a projector hooked up via component, and a standard PAL TV via composite, with a box off ebay that switches between the two.

I can put the xbox into NTSC and get the 480p mode working ok, but the TV can't handle the NTSC signal and goes into black and white.

So I'm after some way of getting XBMC to boot & play video in 480p, but games to work in PAL50 / PAL60.

Any ideasHuh?
deluded Wrote:Is there anyway to force XBMC to enable the 480p mode without putting the xbox in to NTSC?
No

deluded Wrote:So I'm after some way of getting XBMC to boot & play video in 480p, but games to work in PAL50 / PAL60. Any ideas?
Not currently possible with XBMC, (or any other Xbox software for that matter).

In believe that in theory it should be possible to enhance the Video Mode Switching code for My Programs, if combined cherry's videomode code with nkpatcher to patch a EEPROM shadow copy in RAM when starting a game, ...I think?

Problem is finding a skilled programmer/developer with the time and inerest to take on a such project Confused
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm not too bothered about games, more interested in video / dvd playback etc. It's usually my son playing games, and I'd rather he doesn't use all the life in the projector bulb!

I'm not that up on the internals of the xbox, but am a software & hardware developer so know a fair bit about video etc..

Can xbmc not just bash some new values into the video hardware registers to enable different video modes??

If so, does anyone have any idea how to do this - I might be up for downloading the xbmc source (and xdk) and seeing if I can tweak it.
actually it would work just fine with the current code. however, upon launching xbmc it restores the eeprom saved video mode (for obvious reasons - just because you wanted to play a game in a particular video mode, you of course want it to reset when you return). so if you want this, a start would be removing the restore code on application load.
Lightbulb 
deluded Wrote:Can xbmc not just bash some new values into the video hardware registers to enable different video modes?
Not without restarting the xbe (Xbox executable) or loading a other xbe, and the Xbox can only run one executable/process at a time. You can read this topic thread and this other topic thread for more detailed explainations and some solution ideas and workaround suggestions. The XBMC source code is also of course a good source of information.

Maybe you could 'just' create a small xbe program with a matching .cfg file (or xml) which only quickly preforms video-mode switching on the EEPROM in RAM before launching a specific xbe, ...so kind of like how Team-XBMC's shortcut tool (source code available in the SVN) works but with the addition of on-the-fly video-mode switching. That way you could use that xbe to launch XBMC each time, and maybe even add an option to edit that cfg (or xml) file from XBMC settings in the GUI. (The source code from nkpatcher and/or cherry's videomode code could possible be of help, more information here)
Code:
<xbe>E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe</xbe>
<videomode>ntsc</videomode>
<resolution>720p</resolution>
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Right - I've sorted my problem...

Xbox is put in to NTSC, and 480p enabled. Xbox then put back to PAL.

Following blunder code added to CApplication::Create, just after the GetModes() command:

// See if we can go to 480p - RH
BYTE currentCableMode = 0;
HalReadSMBusValue(0x20, 0x4, 0, (LPBYTE)&currentCableMode);

if((currentCableMode == 1)/*AV_PACK_HDTV*/ && g_videoConfig.HasPAL())
{
// We're in PAL mode, but connected to HDTV so switch to NTSC for 480p
char temp[1024];
helper.GetXbePath(temp);
char temp2[1024];
char temp3[2];
temp3[0] = temp[0]; temp3[1] = '\0';
helper.GetPartition((LPCSTR)temp3,temp2);
CStdString strTemp(temp+2);
int iLastSlash = strTemp.rfind('\\');
strcat(temp2,strTemp.substr(0,iLastSlash).c_str());
Destroy();
CUtil::LaunchXbe(temp2,("D:\\"+strTemp.substr(iLastSlash+1)).c_str(),NULL,VIDEO_NTSCM,COUNTRY_USA);

}

Basically, each time xbmc starts, it check to see if the HD component lead is connected (or in my case, the switch on the HD / Scart box) and if so, quits and re-runs itself in NTSC.

Must admit that XBMC looks a lot better in 480p (my projectors native resolution) than normal PAL.

Big thanks to the XBMC guys for making the thing compile 1st first time, and actually documenting the code Smile
Lightbulb 
deluded Wrote:Basically, each time xbmc starts, it check to see if the HD component lead is connected (or in my case, the switch on the HD / Scart box) and if so, quits and re-runs itself in NTSC
hmm, I'm not a programmer myself but I still think it would be better to put the function into a separate XBE, like Team-XBMC's shortcut tool. That way you would not have to load the XBMC XBE twice, the XBMC XBE is much larger and thus takes much longer to load. I do however like the idea of the cable auto-detect feature you implemented.

How about this instead? Add on-the-fly video-mode switching of the EEPROM shadow-copy in RAM before launching a specific XBE to the Team-XBMC's shortcut tool, with the option of cable auto-detect (for both video and audio), configurable via a .cfg file (or xml). Maybe also add GetXbePath to is and make is pass that information along as a parameter to XBMC so if an option to edit that .cfg file (or xml) from XBMC's GUI was implemented then XBMC would automaticly know where that XBE and it's matching cfg file (or xml) is located. That XBE program would still be small and fast to load, and there would be no need to ever load the same XBE twice. The audio option would be nice if like myself use digital-audio when in NTSC-mode (connected to a Xbox HD cable-adapter and HDTV display-device) and analog-audio when in PAL mode (connected to a standard definition Xbox composite video cable and analog stereo to CRT TV built-in speakers).

Suggested .cfg file (or xml) example:
Code:
<!-- Xbox executable (xbe) to run !-->
<xbe>E:\Apps\XBMC\default.xbe</xbe>

<video>
<!-- Set to true to enable video-mode switching, false to disable !-->
   <videomodeswitching>true</videomodeswitching>
<!-- Set to true to try to detect cable-adapter and automaticly switch to NTSC-mode if high-definition cable and PAL-mode otherwise !-->
   <detectcable>true</detectcable>
<!-- Which video-mode to switch to if detectcable is set to false !-->
   <videomode>ntsc</videomode>
<!-- NTSC video-mode resolution options, 480p, 720p or 1080i !-->
   <resolutionntsc>720p</resolutionntsc>
</video>

<audio>
<!-- Set to true to enable audio-mode switching, false to disable !-->
   <audiomodeswitching>true</audiomodeswitching>
<!-- Set to true to try to detect cable-adapter and automaticly switch to digital-audio if high-definition cable and analog-audio otherwise !-->
   <detectcable>true</detectcable>
<!-- Which audio-mode to when use (digital or analog) in NTSC-mode if detectcable is set to false !-->
   <audiomodentsc>digital</audiomodentsc>
<!-- Set to true to enable Dolby Digital when digital-audio is enabled in NTSC-mode !-->
   <ddaudiontsc>true</ddaudiontsc>
<!-- Set to true to enable DTS when digital-audio is enabled in NTSC-mode !-->
   <dtsaudiontsc>false</dtsaudiontsc>
<!-- Use mono or stereo when analog-audio is enabled in NTSC-mode !-->
   <analogaudiontsc>stereo</analogaudiontsc>
<!-- Which audio-mode to when use (digital or analog) in PAL-mode if detectcable is set to false !-->
   <audiomodepal>analog</audiomodepal>
<!-- Set to true to enable Dolby Digital when digital-audio is enabled in PAL-mode !-->
   <ddaudiopal>false</ddaudiopal>
<!-- Set to true to enable DTS when digital-audio is enabled in PAL-mode !-->
   <dtsaudiopal>false</dtsaudiopal>
<!-- Use mono or stereo when analog-audio is enabled in PAL-mode !-->
   <analogaudiopal>mono</analogaudiopal>
</audio>
PS! Note that all this should only touch the EEPROM shadow-copy in RAM and never write to the EEPROM!
The EEPROM it's only capable of aprox. 1000 erase/write cycles so will get damaged if write to it too often.
Looks like a good idea.

Bizarely, the code I posted worked fine on Saturday, then failed to work on Sunday - it just constantly rebooted XBMC, suggesting that the NTSC shadow copy patch thing hadn't worked.

I'll try to get my code working reliably, then take a look at making it configurable. I like the idea of a config file, but I don't think it's possible to detect if digital audio is present - anyone confirm this??

loading XBMC twice is actually much quicker than you'd expect, and not really noticable.. I suspect XBMC spends most of it's time loading the graphics and other DLLs - my patch was run before all this was done.
I've fixed the code a bit - it might be worth putting something like as a setting for people that swap between PAL and 480p etc.

Changes made in Application.cpp

Below the line g_graphicsContext.SetGUIResolution(initialResolution);

HalReadSMBusValue(XKUtils::SMBDEV_PIC16L, XKUtils:TongueIC16L_CMD_AV_PACK, 0, (LPBYTE)&currentCableMode);

if((currentCableMode == XKUtils::AV_PACK_HDTV) && XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_PAL_I)
{
// We're in PAL mode, but connected to HDTV so switch to NTSC for 480p
F_VIDEO ForceVideo = VIDEO_NTSCM;
F_COUNTRY ForceCountry = COUNTRY_USA;
char temp[1024];

helper.GetXbePath(temp);

char temp2[1024];
char temp3[2];
temp3[0] = temp[0]; temp3[1] = '\0';
helper.GetPartition((LPCSTR)temp3,temp2);
CStdString strTemp(temp+2);
int iLastSlash = strTemp.rfind('\\');
strcat(temp2,strTemp.substr(0,iLastSlash).c_str());

Destroy();
CUtil::LaunchXbe(temp2,("D:\\"+strTemp.substr(iLastSlash+1)).c_str(),NULL,ForceVideo,ForceCountry);
}

Following code

else if ((DWVideo == XKEEPROM::VIDEO_STANDARD:TongueAL_I) && ((XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_NTSC_M) || (XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_NTSC_J) || initialResolution < 6))
{
CLog::Log(LOGINFO, "Rebooting to change resolution from %s back to PAL_I", (XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_NTSC_M) ? "NTSC_M" : "NTSC_J");
ForceVideo = VIDEO_PAL50;
ForceCountry = COUNTRY_EUR;
bNeedReboot = true;
fDoPatchTest = true;
}

changed to

else if ((DWVideo == XKEEPROM::VIDEO_STANDARD:TongueAL_I) && ((XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_NTSC_M) || (XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_NTSC_J) || initialResolution < 6))
{
HalReadSMBusValue(XKUtils::SMBDEV_PIC16L, XKUtils:TongueIC16L_CMD_AV_PACK, 0, (LPBYTE)&currentCableMode);

if(currentCableMode == XKUtils::AV_PACK_HDTV)
{
// Do nothing
bNeedReboot = false;
fDoPatchTest = false;

}
else
{
CLog::Log(LOGINFO, "Rebooting to change resolution from %s back to PAL_I", (XGetVideoStandard() == XC_VIDEO_STANDARD_NTSC_M) ? "NTSC_M" : "NTSC_J");
ForceVideo = VIDEO_PAL50;
ForceCountry = COUNTRY_EUR;
bNeedReboot = true;
fDoPatchTest = true;
}
}

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic video mode switching when loading game0