DLNA "push" support to UPnP Media Renderers?
Lightbulb 
With the latest official release full DLNA server compliance was added.

However one of the most useful DLNA features is still missing from XBMC, which is "push" support.

ie by this I mean instead of using the DLNA client to pull down media via the client interface from the XBMC server (as is currently supported) this would mean using the XBMC interface to push the media down to the client.

(this would require the selection of which client/renderer to push the media to within XMBC)

What's the benefit of this?
- XBMC's killer feature is it's beautiful interface which generally is far superior to that used by most clients. That would enable playback of media on the client using the XMBC interface rather than the local one.

Where would it be useful?
- eg an obvious example is playing music. Many home theatre amps are now DLNA compliant (eg those made by Denon, Pioneer etc..) these are generally excellent for playing back files but generally have a poor interface.
XBMC with "push" DLNA functionality would enable using the XBMC interface but with all the decoding etc.. done by the high quality amp.

Currently as an example Twonky has this feature. Media Renderer's can be selected in Twonky and music can be dragged and dropped on to the renderer - this will eg push FLAC files over the network to be decoded and played by a home theatre amp. (Not a great interface but better than some amps)

Does anyone know if this feature is currently being added to XBMC (I couldn't find anything to suggest it is) and if it would be a difficult feature to add?
I doubt anyone is actively working on it, but if you have know of a client on windows / linux / os x that has this support (preferably open source) so any interested dev could check on it that would be great.

Also if you could gather more information, and specifications that would to be awesome.

The less legg-work a developer has to do the more likely one will do it Smile

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:I doubt anyone is actively working on it, but if you have know of a client on windows / linux / os x that has this support (preferably open source) so any interested dev could check on it that would be great.

Also if you could gather more information, and specifications that would to be awesome.

The less legg-work a developer has to do the more likely one will do it Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for your response I'll start looking into it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DLNA "push" support to UPnP Media Renderers?0