VDPAU not enabled
I just upgraded my NVidia card from a 7300 to a 9500 in order to use VDPAU in XBMC.

Reading other threads about VDPAU, it looks like it should 'just work' - that is leaving render method set to auto should use VDPAU when appropriate. Playing a 1280x720 h264 clip is still showing approximately 70% CPU usage on my AMD quad 9500. Also, there is no option to set render type to VDPAU. Only Auto, Software, Advanced shaders, and Basic shaders.

The codec info shows Video:h264 yuv420p 1279x720 and dc: ff-h264 while playing the .mkv clip.

The vdpinfo utility indicates that VDPAU is available (including H264_MAIN and H264_HIGH).

System info:
XBMC 9.04.1 r20654 from the official binary PPA
Kubuntu 8.04 up to date as of 2009-06-01
AMD X4 9500 X86
Installed from PPA
NVidia 9500 GT card with 512MB DDR3
NVidia driver version 180.60
I run Twinview monitors at 1920x1200
XBMC info lists my screen resolution as 1280x720p 60Hz

The debug log does not mention VDPAU anywhere - that text is not found.

I tried renaming the user's .xbmc directory, then starting to see if that would force some type of detection of the new video card, but the results were the same.

1) Am I missing something obvious that needs to be done in order to enable VDPAU
2) Is there some text I should search for in the log other than VDPAU?

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions.

Jerry
Auto will not use VDPAU.

Should be set explicitly to VDPAU. If not applicable, will fallback gracefully to software.

TheUni
>Should be set explicitly to VDPAU

OK, that's good info, but not possible due to the problem noted in my post:
>>Also, there is no option to set render type to VDPAU

So it appears that XBMC is not correctly sensing that VDPAU is available, or perhaps I am missing some other external lib that is required by XBMC to enable VDPAU in XBMC?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry
Im not sure about the PPA having VDPAU enabled by default but I know that if compiling from SVN, You must have Nvidia VDPAU libraries installed before compiling otherwise the VDPAU option will be missing. This may have changed somewhere down the line. Have you tried using xbmc live to test ?

Zepp
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
>Have you tried using xbmc live to test ?
Good idea.

VDPAU show up as an option when I boot Live on the same machine. So either:
1) Some library I need at runtime isn't installed on my Hardy 8.04 system
or
2) VDPAU isn't enabled in the Hardy PPA binary.

Can anyone verify that they have VDPAU as a render option using the Hardy PPA binaries?

Thanks again.

Jerry
same here, no vdpau option on hardy deb.
I read that hardy's nvidia drivers are not vdpau-aware...so the ppas were built without vdpau support.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU not enabled0