[LINUX] XBMC for Moblin V2 Tested - Ongoing project for NVIDIA Ion based platforms...
Thumbs Up 
Update (22/06/09)
On requests I have now written down how you can modify Moblin into a XBMC friendly system for the ION boards and other similar systems with nVidia graphics. I've also created a temporary web page containing information, the HOWTO and script files.

http://beta.nextdesign.info/mcd/
http://beta.nextdesign.info/mcd/doc/

(Web server up again!)

Script repo @ GitHub
http://github.com/estyx/mcd-scripts/tree/master

More to come.. Nod

(PS: If there's anything I missed, written wrong or something in the doc, please notify me)
(PPS: I timed it from GRUB to the welcome menu in XBMC, 24 sec)

------------
[old]During last week I was fiddling with the idea of combining the fast-booting Moblin project with XBMC to create the "ultimate" linux media center distro. The idea was especially appealing concidering Zotac just released a new Mini-ITX mainboard series with the nVidia ION chipset.

So I sat down and played around with the development package of Moblin and started the hassle with compiling Xorg so that I could make the nVidia binary drivers to work. After struggling a long time with compiling it, I had to resort to compile the bleeding edge version from the git repo. Success! After that it didnt take me long to make the nVidia driver up and running, and at the end a fully working XBMC!

I even captured a short video showing the process from GRUB to playing a video in XBMC. There's probably plenty of places to cut down startup time, and I will get started on that as soon as I get a clean, minimal version up and running.

But all in all I'm pretty satisfied with the result considering the work effort, my goal was to have a working version first before making any more changes to the system. So what do you guys think about the project? Moblin is pretty fast so I think it has great potential.

(Just as a note; I'm focusing on building this to target machines with ION-chips or other nVidia graphic chips with VDPAU support, more info will be provided as I progress towards a usable beta for all of you who are interested to test Nod)[/old]
Nice work! But damn you need a tripod, all that shaking made me dizzy Laugh
Very good job, would you be able to provide instructions on how to replicate your efforts?
Awesome work, can you make this version of moblin/xbmc available?
Aenima99x Wrote:Nice work! But damn you need a tripod, all that shaking made me dizzy Laugh
Lol ye Laugh

l.capriotti Wrote:Very good job, would you be able to provide instructions on how to replicate your efforts?
Yeah I'll set up a web page next week where I'll put a step by step walkthrough and script files (to automate much of the work needed) as I progress through making a more cleaner build Nod

Qroach Wrote:Awesome work, can you make this version of moblin/xbmc available?
I'll put up a image when I have made a better version, the current one is full of dirty hacks to make certain things to work, and a lot of unneeded files Confused
Hi there loved what you have done on the Moblin side on the boot up !! Have snt you a PM

Cheers

Andy
Cool nice job estyx look forward to seeing it I just got myself an Atom/Ion system too (Asrock Ion 330).
Hey that looks great... i've got a running Acer Revo with XBMC Live... but this looks way cooler!

If you need testers, I'd be glad if you get in contact with me.
I have two Zotac IONITX-A-U boards and plenty of USB flashdrives. If you want me to test anything out just PM me. I would love to help.

-Will
Very nice indeed.
Irishdue Wrote:Hi there loved what you have done on the Moblin side on the boot up !! Have snt you a PM
Cheers
Andy

Nice, I'll reply to you as soon as I have some spare time. The projects seems very interesting Smile

Bahndit Wrote:I have two Zotac IONITX-A-U boards and plenty of USB flashdrives. If you want me to test anything out just PM me. I would love to help.
-Will

I'll keep it in mind, I surely need some testers when I get a descent test version running! Nod Haven't had the time to work on the project this week, but I'll start up again next week Smile
estyx,
How's it coming? Any progress? I'm still interested in helping out if I can?

-Will
Bahndit Wrote:estyx,
How's it coming? Any progress? I'm still interested in helping out if I can?

-Will

It's going along a bit slow, but today I managed to compile 2.6.30 successfully with the Moblin patches, so if you could list up which drivers are needed for the Zotac ION (wireless, network, sound), I can compile it into the kernel today to make sure it's ready for some testing a bit later on. It'll take a while before I get my hands on my own mobo, probably at the end of next month, so I'll try to make a test image available as soon as I can.
l.capriotti your wish has come true if you look at the first post Wink
kudos, it seems quite comprehensive indeed!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC for Moblin V2 Tested - Ongoing project for NVIDIA Ion based platforms...1