• 4(current)
Luemmel's DVD-Ripper Script - Python Development Discussion (Linux, Mac, and Windows)
http://code.google.com/p/luemmels-dvd-ri...loads/list
Linux,

On line 266 of your script for windows you have

Code:
command = 'dd if=' + DVD_device + ' ' + [b][u]'of='[/u][/b] + DVD_dir + '\\' + DVD_iso + [b][u]'[/u][/b] bs=20480'

could you change it to this? (changes underlined)

Code:
command = 'dd if=' + DVD_device + ' ' + [b][u]'of="'[/u][/b] + DVD_dir + '\\' + DVD_iso + [b][u]'.iso"[/u][/b] bs=20480'

If you have a space in your directory name or dvd title name the DD program will quit with an error. Also, appending .iso to the end saves having to type .iso when you enter the DVD title.
will be fixed in Release 0.4F

and threre is a other goood news for users of the blue-pill version

I found the solution to hide the dd process ....

If you confirm the execution of the dd process .... the process will
start 1 Minute after the confirmation over the command at

In the later evening I will release 0.4F (Blue-Pill)

Thanks for the info
Hans
Awesome thanks Linux.

Would this be possible?

When you pick the directory to rip the DVD to, would it be possible to just show a list of your video source directories so that you can just pick which video source directory to save the iso in?
linuxluemmel Wrote:http://luemmels-dvd-ripper.googlecode.co...trings.xml

Donwload the english string.xml and translate it into your own language ...

send them back to [email protected]
and don't forget to name the Folder for your Language (other than German and English)

Dear linuxluemmel,

Thank you for your script that I can not try (forbidden here) but anyway, please find the French translation for Strings.xml.
As I do not understand the string, I am definitively not completely satisfied by translation of string "32008" but all others are ok (or should be Smile)

Rgs

EDIT : I did not see previously that it does not break CSS protection. So it is allowed in France ! In France, copying a digital media you own is allowed unless you have to break a protection (Do not ask if our politicians are stupids, but do ask why they are so corrupted instead!)
EDIT2 : Tried to rip an ISO and it works well but I had an error as the script wanted to store the file in a folder that did not exist. So it told me that it does not have write access for this directory... I change the path from "E:\ripfolder" to "E:\" and it works perfectly.
EDIT3 : A nice and intergrated GUI would be better don't you think ? I will have a look at this this afternoon but it would be better if you could have a progress bar Wink
LoloMc² Wrote:Dear linuxluemmel,

Thank you for your script that I can not try (forbidden here) but anyway, please find the French translation for Strings.xml.
As I do not understand the string, I am definitively not completely satisfied by translation of string "32008" but all others are ok (or should be Smile)

Rgs

EDIT : I did not see previously that it does not break CSS protection. So it is allowed in France ! In France, copying a digital media you own is allowed unless you have to break a protection (Do not ask if our politicians are stupids, but do ask why they are so corrupted instead!)
EDIT2 : Tried to rip an ISO and it works well but I had an error as the script wanted to store the file in a folder that did not exist. So it told me that it does not have write access for this directory... I change the path from "E:\ripfolder" to "E:\" and it works perfectly.
EDIT3 : A nice and intergrated GUI would be better don't you think ? I will have a look at this this afternoon but it would be better if you could have a progress bar Wink

Si tu me demandes cette script est legal en france... Oui, parce que la protection de la dvd n'est pas enlever ...

Becaup de salutation des suisse
Jean

J'ai pront ton string.xml ... la script a une noveau language ....
maintenant alleman , langleais , francais ;-)
LoloMc² Wrote:Dear linuxluemmel,

T

Edit1 : My script makes a 1:1 copy including the css protection ...
This is the reason my script is legal in several countrys ....

Could someone please post a list of countrys in witch my script is legal

Switzerland ... .-)
Germany .-(
France .-)
Spain ?
UK ?
Sweden ?

Remember :

In the blue-pill version you need to look inside the dvd a few secounds ....
After you did this ... the copy operation with dd can be made

Red-Pill : The css system is bypassed by the transcode process witch generates
a preview of the movie .... The copy is also protected by css.

My script will also include a function to transcode the dvd to other formats .....
and this functions does break the css system of dvd for sure ...

This is how I know in the most countrys illegal .... Inside switzerland it is allowed ...

Therefore I will show a disclaimer at startup that some of the functions inside my script are illegal
depending on witch country you would use my script.

This disclaimer comes in one of the next releases of my script.
About the text it contains we could communicate together with all the others from here ....

I and the core team of xbmc doesn't like troubles because this feature
is illegal in some countrys (germany) and legal in others (switzerland).

Even the start of my script inside germany would be illlegal ...
So I decide to stay in switzerland .... where i can continue to develop
this script wihtout fear ....

Edit 2: I changed the text to "Directory doesn't have write access or doesn't exist ...

Greetings from the country of Milk and Honey :-=)

Hans
OK I made the Release 0.4F (Blue-Pill)

http://luemmels-dvd-ripper.googlecode.co...x-0.4F.zip

- DD starts now in the background 1 minute after the user confirms
execution. This means the scipt ends .... and you can play around
inside your xbmc while the dd command is working

- It is not longer neccessary to add .iso for the filename to rip

- French Translation (Thanks to LoloMc²) I hope the directory French is correct ....

- There was a corrected bug if the directory for rippings contains spaces ....
(Thanks to Fiasko)

I would say this Blue-Pill Release is useable for everyone ....
But remember ... my script is still a beta ....
and I do programming in python since 20 days ... be patient ... .-=

With the best greetings from switzerland

btw:
If you dont run the scheduler service in the background this script will
not work.
linuxluemmel Wrote:Si tu me demandes cette script est legal en france... Oui, parce que la protection de la dvd n'est pas enlever ...

Becaup de salutation des suisse
Jean

J'ai pront ta string.xml ... la script a une noveau language ....
maintenant alleman , langleais , francais ;-)

Big Grin

I made a quick fast launch for your script on the PM3-HD homepage (Jezz-x would do that better but...)
Just download this archive, unzip, overwrite files in your XBMC installation directory and enjoy Wink

Rgs
linuxluemmel Wrote:Edit1 : My script makes a 1:1 copy including the css protection ...
This is the reason my script is legal in several countrys ....

Could someone please post a list of countrys in witch my script is legal

Switzerland ... .-)
Germany .-(
France .-)
Spain ?
UK ?
Sweden ?

Spain : Legal (even file sharing has been judged as legal)
UK : Illegal (private copy does not exist)
Could you give me the permission to upload this skin.zip to my
Project-Homepage ?

I allways asking first .... _=)

Have a look at 0.4F and try it with your strings.xml

CU Hans
linuxluemmel Wrote:OK I made the Release 0.4F (Blue-Pill)
- DD starts now in the background 1 minute after the user confirms
execution. This means the scipt ends .... and you can play around
inside your xbmc while the dd command is working
And to be honest, it was quite confusing Confused
IMHO, the next necessary step is to add a progressbar

linuxluemmel Wrote:- It is not longer neccessary to add .iso for the filename to rip
Yes, really better Wink
But could you (if possible) set the default name of the iso image as the name of the DVD instead of "change-me"?

linuxluemmel Wrote:- French Translation (Thanks to LoloMc²) I hope the directory French is correct ....
In fact, no. Sad
Name of the directory should be "French" BUT most important is that it seems you have opened "my original" strings.xml file and save it using the windows notepad (or wordpad). And the problem is that it is not working anymore. Take the original file I uploaded and copy/paste instead of yours. It will work.

If you want to edit xml files with MS windows, I highly recommend you to use the amazing notepad++ (GPL software) which will save files in the Unix format without doing anything.

linuxluemmel Wrote:I would say this Blue-Pill Release is useable for everyone ....
As the previous script, 0.4F is quite simple to use ! But I still have the "create directory bug" which prevent the script to run...

linuxluemmel Wrote:But remember ... my script is still a beta ....
and I do programming in python since 20 days ... bet patient ... .-=
And I am really impatient to see what you'll do Big Grin
linuxluemmel Wrote:Could you give me the permission to upload this skin.zip to my
Project-Homepage ?

I allways asking first .... _=)
Of course ! I made it to be used ! Even if I believe that icons could be nicer... But I am not a good designer, definitively

linuxluemmel Wrote:Have a look at 0.4F and try it with your strings.xml
Working actually. Regarding strings.xml, please see my previous post

Rgs
The other thing is the so called directory bug ...

could someone other also confirm this bug ?

On my own test windows xbmc 9.04 with windows xp sp3
/ german all works like expectet ....

Let use make a example :

Your rip-directory will be :
e:\dvdrip

inside the code should now stand ..... in the main function

dvd_dir = 'E:\\dvdrip'

Do you have the access write to E:\dvdrip
What filesystem do you use ? NTFS or FAT32
Is it local or a Network Share ?

In my case it works perfect.... On What Operating System you have this error ?
XP or Vista ?
linuxluemmel Wrote:The other thing is the so called directory bug ...

could someone other also confirm this bug ?

On my own test windows xbmc 9.04 with windows xp sp3
/ german all works like exptect ....
It's not my own computer. It's girlfriend's one and it's xbmc 9.04R1 (and R2) & XP SP3 (family edition) French.
I may have a try with my two windows XP SP3 (family edition) box also at home this evening (Not sure I will be at home this evening too Big Grin)

linuxluemmel Wrote:Let use make a example :

Your rip-directory will be :
e:\dvdrip

inside the code should now stand ..... in the main function

dvd_dir = 'E:\\dvdrip'
Not sure : you want me to try to change something in your script ?
Which one, line 102 : dvd_dir = '/dvdrip'
or line 556 : dvd_dir = 'D:\\dvdrip'
linuxluemmel Wrote:Do you have the access write to E:\dvdrip
Yes of course, I have admin rights.

Please be more explicit Confused
linuxluemmel Wrote:What filesystem do you use ? NTFS or FAT32
Is it local or a Network Share ?
It's a local NTFS drive (to rip DVD, FAT32 Shocked)

I just had two suggestion but I forgot it ! Oo

EDIT : My suggestion is refusing to rip on a FAT32 system fils as it is limited to 4 Gb files only (maybe dd comand will cut the ISO when reaching 4 Gb but I doubt...
EDIT : My other suggestion, as you said dd command could be dangerous if user enter : dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda
Could you add one or several tests that will refuse to do the rip if the user enter a bad command line ? Or maybe instead of having a text entry, just create three buttons with "\\?Device\CdRom0", "\\?Device\CdRom1" and maybe "\\?Device\CdRom2" ?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Luemmel's DVD-Ripper Script - Python Development Discussion (Linux, Mac, and Windows)0