XBMC Live - GPU drivers
Information 
Hi there,

I wonder if someone can explain to me how does the XBMC Live CD handles different type of graphic cards.

I mean, if I use Live CD on Intel 950GMA it will work, if I use Live CD on Nvidia ION it will work too?

How is done?
Because I installed ordinary Ubuntu installation on a USB stick on Intel 950GMA PC and it worked great.
Then I plugged it to Nvidia ION PC and it didn't work, so I installed nvidia drivers and it worked there too.
Now, when I plugged back to Intel 950GMA it complain about OpenGL driver missing so XBMC wont start.

I guess after installing Nvidia drivers Intel OpenGL (libGL library) overwritten by Nvidia's libGL.

Is there a way to resolve this situation?
How is it done on LiveCD?

Thx in advance Wink

Cheers
Djape
LiveCD autodetects upon boot.
I dont know much about the intel crap, but I think your gpu is not good enough for xbmc, though I have read in IRC only with maverick installed and xbmc running as application, unless you know how to do a xbmcbuntu type install with maverick...

Dont ask how to do any of what I said, google and search forums. IRC is a good place as well.
fackamato Wrote:LiveCD autodetects upon boot.
This is not enough, something else has to modified. As I wrote, libGL is different one.
I know that nouveau and intel xorg drivers use same DRI libs, so that could one of the solutions, but in my case I use nvidia-current because nouveau just wont work with my hardware.

So, how thus the read-only Live system handling this one?

Cheers...

P.S. @X3 Intel works just fine for 720p and ION for 1080p. Btw I'm StaRetji from IRC channel Wink
As I said, LiveCD autodetects what card you have, then installs/loads the correct driver. It happens in RAM.
XBMCLive autodetects GPU and acts accordingly.
Djape Wrote:P.S. @X3 Intel works just fine for 720p and ION for 1080p. Btw I'm StaRetji from IRC channel Wink

I figured it had to be you.... Or similar Shocked
Thumbs Up 
X3lectric Wrote:I figured it had to be you.... Or similar Shocked

lol am I the popular one Rolleyes

@fackamato thx for clarifying this. Now I understand.

@l.capriotti respect for all the hard work dude.

Can something similar be done with normal install?
I mean, can I detect gputype on boot and update-alternatives --set gl_conf etc just before system boots to X?

Thx Wink
Djape Wrote:I mean, can I detect gputype on boot and update-alternatives --set gl_conf etc just before system boots to X?

you would need a properly written upstart job starting on "starting-dm" and doing that update-alternatives. Google is your friend.
Thx, will google, play with it and hopefully make it work Wink

Cheers...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live - GPU drivers0