[LINUX] HOW-TO to install XBMC on an ION machine with Ubuntu, a Step-by-Step Guide
Thumbs Up 
I got my ION based machine a couple of days ago and straight away installed windows. I really liked the sound of Linux but it seemed a little scary all that command line stuff, no thanks come on I'm a mac user the two couldn't be further apart. After a day of playing with windows I realised that without DXVA Windows wasn't going to cut it, no 1080p in XBMC what's the point. I deiced to take the plunge and install Linux. At this point I was still a little scared of Linux so I deiced to install it along side Windows using this guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhnLk3gviWY A couple of hours later I had XBMC and Linux up and running I was amazed and how easy the whole thing was. Linux seems to much faster then windows and it's not really that hard to setup.

Below are complete noob instruction for any beginners out there.
To any Linux geniuses, please remember I have only been using Linux for 1 day so if there are easier ways to do any of the instruction below, please let me know.

The Noob guide to installing xbmc on linux ubuntu 9.04 with a NVDIA based machine.

Installing XBMC

Right lets get started

Now were going to need to open Software Package Manager in order to add the XBMC Repository.
Click System -> Synaptic Package Manager

Then within the Package Manager window
Click Settings-> Repositories

The Next screen you see should look something like the image below. Make sure that the first four boxes are ticked if they are we're ready to more to the next step. In the same window click on the Third Party Software Tab.

Press add. Then type the line below.
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Then click Add Source

Leave this window open and open a text editor.
Applications -> Accessories -> Text Editor
Copy and Paste the below in to your new Text Editor window

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: SKS 1.0.10

mI0ESdfoQQEEAOb9ejOtKM4LkuYYuq+5sH9F4Yvd8HHspaeZHZZvteJAHqjcyxdvBKNqadDz
wcNJ8gDPljv1L4hnd4bYbsiLfGX2qWxSGghrEGKm3cb9F3BhH0zm3/mWWDcNVV3jscaNTFeY
GgorxbTevwCFIBLKQuyXgx2BF2iHdb4onJxlecrnABEBAAG0MUxhdW5jaHBhZCBQUEEgbmFt
ZWQgamF1bnR5LXBwYSBmb3IgWEJNQyBmb3IgTGludXiItgQTAQIAIAUCSdfoQQIbAwYLCQgH
AwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEJ8Q5q6TF3kOEnIEANhflOSeKWKrBGeE8Tlh3CCjXyma
vmxXOxRBOkfgthd8t8uN0JfzGDSM1zbhAyoWZh6j3H8nl1FXExkp6hG8apaMFq/vWbN3PTIV
i/o1HPYueLeyfLWegSwAvBQjU92V+msBqgBwLR6cWyZk3wRk2B/W/W4VulMujGIlNoyQtPJU
=Vgm1
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Save this file to the Desktop as 'XBMC Key' and close the text editor. Return to the Software Sources Window and move across to the Authentication tab. Click Import Key File and then select the 'XBMC Key' Document that you just created press OK.

Close this window and return to the Package Manager Window (You can delete the XBMC Key file whenever you want, you've imported the file so it's not need anymore). Click the reload button the list of packages should update.
After it has finished updating type xbmc in to the Quick search panel. Right click on xbmc within the package list window and press Mark for installation. If for any reason XBMC doesn't show up when you do a quick search try doing and full search by pressing the search button and then typing xbmc.

The window below will pop up click Mark.

Now click the Apply and then apply again.

With any luck the installer will now run and XBMC will finally start installing.
If you see the below your all done XBMC is installed.

Go to Applications -> Sound and Video -> XBMC Media Center to run XBMC.

As you may have noticed XBMC is unbelievable slow that's because we haven't installed any graphics drivers you silly billy.

Installing the nvidia drivers
Let's get to installing as ION driversSmile

First were going to need to open up a terminal window, yer sorry no more nice GUI from now on it's command line all the way.

Though out the next section you will be asked if it's ok to install xyz just press y for yes and then return.
Right first thing were going to need to type is

Code:
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.14/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run
press return

this will download all the drivers that we need for our Nvidia ION off the net wait till the files has finished downloading and the command has stopped running then type.

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

let that run then were going to need to type

Code:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-dev

Let that command finish running.

Now comes the scary bit we're going to need to come out of the Linux GUI completely so we can get the graphics drivers fully installed press CTRL-ALT-F1

login with you username and password

then type
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

then this command
Code:
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run -k $(uname -r) --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules --x-library-path=/usr/lib

if all has gone well you should be in the NVIDIA installer. it pretty much guides you through this just press return and answer yes to all questions. When that's done your return to a blank screen

Type
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now

Your computer will restart.

Run xbmc Applications -> Sound and Video -> XBMC Media Center
and should be working at full speed using the ION driver (:

one last thing I would do is go in to the video settings and change rendering method to VDPAU. I was getting some issues with playback, changing rendering method from auto to VDPAU seemed to help fix them.

Blooming heck we're finally all done !!!!!
Thank you very much.

I find myself in exactly the same position you were in, except a couple of days later... so I was facing the prospect of having to glean all these little bits of info from the disparate places around the web. It's nice to have it all in one place.

Thanks!!Smile
Awesome.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do that.
I love guides with a screenshot for each step.

Now if only an ION system would become available in America!!! Sad

-Ash-
Thanks for the great guide Smile
Maybe I'm still suffering from hypoxia after my run, but, how does this differ from a normal install?
it doesn't differ in any way.
it is for the absolutely beginners.

imagine being a windows user since 15 years.
never worked with linux.
you wouldn't know how to install even "something" under linux...
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
donabi Wrote:it doesn't differ in any way.
it is for the absolutely beginners.

imagine being a windows user since 15 years.
never worked with linux.
you wouldn't know how to install even "something" under linux...

Yep. Thanks for the HowTo!
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
thats a pretty good tutorial. it will help ppl to install xbmc on their machines. i whould install the nvidia drivers first, but at all it does not matter i gues.

can you tell me the boot time of your machine?
Very nice and clear install guide
Good job MedicineUK!

I'm still undecided between a Acer Revo and the ION 330.
Your positive experience with the Asrock unit is definitely good to know.
Thanks for taking the time M8 its a really nice guide, haven't used linux for a good few months now and its amazing just how quickly you forget things Rolleyes
good guide, very clear....

just one question and i am really trying to not sound like an ass but cant think of a better way of writing this:

Why not just instal abmc live?

thats what i did, took 5-10mins and it worked out of the box the only thing i had to do was switch on VDPAU.

but as i said good guide if for some reason you dont want to use xbmc live.
newegg has stock on ion mini-itx motherboards now!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500028
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
Lightbulb 
medicineuk Wrote:Save this file to the Desktop as 'XBMC Key' and close the text editor. Return to the Software Sources Window and move across to the Authentication tab. Click Import Key File and then select the 'XBMC Key' Document that you just created press OK

Great work!!!!

Just to simplify the import key step, you can do it with this terminal line:
Code:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com a62016ec6944db21c7793b3a9f10e6ae9317790e

Sometimes terminal way is fastest than the GUI one. But some people may prefer the GUI method.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO to install XBMC on an ION machine with Ubuntu, a Step-by-Step Guide6