[LINUX] HOW-TO to install XBMC on an ION machine with Ubuntu, a Step-by-Step Guide
Thread for any on going ASROCK discussions here
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...post348242
medicineuk Wrote:Sorry haven't tried it I have my audio working over S/PDIF. Maybe we should start a RSRock IONSTAR thread so that we can help each other out with hardware/XBMC issues.

Sounds like a plan, maybe titled "ASRock IONSTAR 330 owners thread" which covers everything then ?
Are there any pros/cons for 64bit distros on an ION?
Ok..

So I am a total noob. Is it just installing Ubuntu straight up?

Also, how does the DiNivo Mini work in linux?
thescorp Wrote:Ok..

So I am a total noob. Is it just installing Ubuntu straight up?

Also, how does the DiNivo Mini work in linux?

more or less, I'd still recommend using the XBMCbuntu guide that's sticky in this forum. as for the dinovo mini, I'm actually using it with my XBMC-revo: sometimes (seldom) it loses connection after ACPI wake-up, no big deal, just reconnect using the buttons on the stick and dinovo. never got around getting the media keys working. else than that, extremely smooth experience.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
What about XBMC Live on the Revo? I am thinking of removing the HD, for less noise (although it's quiet anyway) and heat/power consumption.

Is XBMC Live ok on the Revo?
Hannes The Hun Wrote:more or less, I'd still recommend using the XBMCbuntu guide that's sticky in this forum. as for the dinovo mini, I'm actually using it with my XBMC-revo: sometimes (seldom) it loses connection after ACPI wake-up, no big deal, just reconnect using the buttons on the stick and dinovo. never got around getting the media keys working. else than that, extremely smooth experience.

Great, thank you.

I also found a thread on the ubuntu forums about the dinovo, so hopefully I can crinkle my way through that and see if I cant fix it. Apparantly, the support in 9.04 has gotten better than it was previously. Alltho, the usb donglethingie does intimidate me a litt.e

I am replacing my popcorn hour with one of these beauties, and I am guessing sound and video over hdmi isnt much of a problem, so that i can connect the ion to my reciever with DTS-thingie support, just like I did with the popcorn hour.

Oh, heres the ubuntuthread if you want to have a peer at it; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=727505&page=3
Hi got an error massage after following your guide. Iḿ a complete3 linux nood, so maybe some of you could tell me what's wrong...Blush

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Tue Jun 30 21:18:20 2009
installer version: 1.0.7

option status:
license pre-accepted : false
update : false
force update : false
expert : false
uninstall : false
driver info : false
precompiled interfaces : false
no ncurses color : false
query latest version : false
OpenGL header files : true
no questions : false
silent : false
no recursion : false
no backup : false
kernel module only : false
sanity : false
add this kernel : false
no runlevel check : false
no network : false
no ABI note : false
no RPMs : false
no kernel module : false
force SELinux : default
no X server check : false
no cc version check : true
force tls : (not specified)
X install prefix : (not specified)
X library install path : /usr/lib
X module install path : /usr/lib/xorg/modules
OpenGL install prefix : (not specified)
OpenGL install libdir : (not specified)
utility install prefix : (not specified)
utility install libdir : (not specified)
doc install prefix : (not specified)
kernel name : 2.6.28-13-generic
kernel include path : (not specified)
kernel source path : (not specified)
kernel output path : (not specified)
kernel install path : (not specified)
proc mount point : /proc
ui : (not specified)
tmpdir : /tmp
ftp mirror : ftp://download.nvidia.com
RPM file list : (not specified)

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> The file '/tmp/.X0-lock' exists and appears to contain the process ID '2595'
of a runnning X server.
ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing.
For further details, please see the section INSTALLING THE NVIDIA DRIVER
in the README available on the Linux driver download page at
http://www.nvidia.com.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at http://www.nvidia.com.
well, read again:

Now comes the scary bit we're going to need to come out of the Linux GUI completely so we can get the graphics drivers fully installed press CTRL-ALT-F1

login with you username and password

then type
Code:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

you absolutely have to do this! this a) stops the xserver and b) stops the graphical gnome desktop. else the nvidia installer will give you the exact error you pasted above.

additionally, you could also try to change the runlevel as posted here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=357...stcount=68
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I tried the NVIDIA driver installation 3 times and i finally got to the point : "Your computer will restart"
In the startup process i got the following error massage :
(EE) Failed to load module glx (module does not exist)
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist)
(EE) no drivers avaliable

May someone can tell me what went wrong ?
I tried it again but typed in the command line :
"sudo sh ./nvidia-linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run" without the appendix. I dont now what the rest was about, but it seemed to work now.
Very nice guide, thanks for that!

Just one thing you might want to add to help out for the windows ppl that thinks it's a lot to type in... tab key for things like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run, just type NVID or so and press tab and it finish it for you. Smile
Just got the Asrock 330 and followed this guide (which is good). All works but actually I think what I want is for the system to boot into XBMC but when you quit XBMC to return to the Gnome desktop.

Presumably I should be installing bog std Ubuntu, then install XBMC and fixes as suggested and then just add XBMC to the startup programs? Then Gnome will be idling behind XBMC for when I want to quit to a desktop OS and, say, browse with Firefox?

Sorry if it seems obvious but I am new to this.
Methanoid Wrote:Just got the Asrock 330 and followed this guide (which is good). All works but actually I think what I want is for the system to boot into XBMC but when you quit XBMC to return to the Gnome desktop.

Presumably I should be installing bog std Ubuntu, then install XBMC and fixes as suggested and then just add XBMC to the startup programs? Then Gnome will be idling behind XBMC for when I want to quit to a desktop OS and, say, browse with Firefox?

Sorry if it seems obvious but I am new to this.

This is what i would like to see as well
Quote:Presumably I should be installing bog std Ubuntu, then install XBMC and fixes as suggested and then just add XBMC to the startup programs? Then Gnome will be idling behind XBMC for when I want to quit to a desktop OS and, say, browse with Firefox?

This is probably the easiest solution yes. You need to configure irexec to start xbmc again if you want to be able to do with the remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO to install XBMC on an ION machine with Ubuntu, a Step-by-Step Guide6