Tearing video on ATV
I've been using xbmc on an ATV for a bit over a month now and I'm really enjoying it. Great product!

The problem I'm having is with tearing video. I have tried a few different video bit rates and formats (h.264 and mpeg2), but I'm not seeing much change even on the lower bit rate files. I'm wondering if there is a problem with my setup... here the details.

ATV v2.3.1
XBMC v9.04.01
Launcher 3
SVN:20621 (from xbmc.log)

I copy all the video files onto the ATV internal harddrive, so there isn't a network latency issue (and that would probably be dropped frames, not tearing). I see some posts on how to "back level" the ATV OS, but I don't see too many posts on "why" other than some applications. Does xbmc run "better" on 2.2?... I certainly am open to trying that.

My video files are typically DVD rips and transcoded to h.264 with handbrake. I use CQ 65%, which typically gives me aprox 3000kbps if the source is 23.9fps and anamorphic @ 853x480 (actual). I have tried lower CQ's and gotten the kbps down to around 2000kbps, which I think should be no problem for the ATV to handle... Huh? am I wrong Undecided

One frustrating note... if I copy the same video files using iTunes and play them on the ATV using frontrow, they are just fine, so the tearing is not "in" the video files, it is being introduced during playback, not during rip or transcode.

Below are the logs... sorry they are a bit long.

console.log
http://pastebin.com/m1bbffe30

xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/d7a70592c

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Turn on vsync (settings->appearance->screen).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

THANK YOU!

... that was _way_ too easy 8-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tearing video on ATV0