Linux Semi-noob compiling questions
Background: I have an Asus Chromebox running Xubuntu 14.04, XBMC 13.2 connecting to a Pioneer VSX-822-K and then to my 55” LG (all HDMI). Intel Audio and Pioneer receivers don’t get along great, particularly on 2 channel audio at 44.1 kHz. Josbeir over on the OpenELEC forums seems to have come up with a work around by tweaking ActiveAE.cpp (http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/67773-...k?start=30) but, this does appear to involve having to recompile every time a new version of XBMC / KODI is released. I’m ok with this as a stop gap.

Code:
if (format.m_sampleRate < 48000)
format.m_sampleRate = 48000;

Action: So, I figured I would pull the Gotham (13.2) source from git, add the two lines above around line 1435 in ActiveAE.cpp, save, and build. I did this on a desktop (i7 3770 Intel HD Graphics) running Xubuntu 14.04, and followed these instructions (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Compile_XBMC_for_Linux). XBMC launches fine on the desktop, but now I need to get this build onto my Chromebox to test if this works.

Noob Problem: What’s the best way to take the XBMC I just compiled and install it on my Chromebox? The xbmc folder where all the compiling took place is (expectedly) noticeably larger. I suppose I could copy the whole folder to a flash drive and launch the specific xbmc.bin from within that directly while its attached to the Chromebox, but if this audio tweak works, I would want to just backup my current config as necessary and install this new version in place of the old one.

TL ; DR ~ How do I install a freshly compiled version of XBMC from machine A onto machine B (Assume same or similar enough OS and hardware).

Thanks!!
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
If you build on your chromebox then make install will install it. Otherwise you need to make a Ubuntu style deb package and install it with dpkg -i.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Use make install DESTDIR=<some temp dir>

Tar up the destdir. Extract to root on chromebox. Compatibility of libs obviously your responsibility.

A deb is just this done in a systematic fashion.
Thanks for the quick replies!

(2014-10-24, 21:24)nickr Wrote: If you build on your chromebox then make install will install it. Otherwise you need to make a Ubuntu style deb package and install it with dpkg -i.

Just to confirm, if I make install while the original 13.2 instance is installed, it will overwrite the old one (and take all my changes with it), correct?

(2014-10-24, 21:28)ironic_monkey Wrote: Use make install DESTDIR=<some temp dir>

Tar up the destdir. Extract to root on chromebox. Compatibility of libs obviously your responsibility.

A deb is just this done in a systematic fashion.

So the current directory on the desktop where everything was compiled (using sudo make install) is /home/user/xbmc (as I was in that directory) - I should just be able to tar or zip that directory as is and unpack on the chromebox, correct? And, would I need to drop the unpacked folder in the same directory structure, or literally at root ( / ), or would it not be too picky about where it was extracted and placed?
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
No. Litterary what i wrote. You dont do sudo make install you do make install DESTDIR=<some EMPTY dir>. Run the install command and list dir you gave. You will get it then..
(2014-10-24, 21:48)ironic_monkey Wrote: No. Litterary what i wrote. You dont do sudo make install you do make install DESTDIR=<some EMPTY dir>. Run the install command and list dir you gave. You will get it then..

Cool - sorry for the ignorance. While my terminal was still working out of the xbmc directory that had gotham's source code, I did make install destdir /home/user/desktop/xbmc and seem to have everything I need. I now have a ~392 MB xbmc.tar file. Will hopefully get to test tonight. Thanks for the help!
make --checkinstall will make a deb.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
if you prefer debs, we provide a script to create those:
tools/Linux/packaging/mk-debian-package.sh
(2014-10-25, 07:44)wsnipex Wrote: if you prefer debs, we provide a script to create those:
tools/Linux/packaging/mk-debian-package.sh
Thanks for the heads up!

You three have been really helpful. If I may make a recommendation here, it seems like this information should be added to the Wiki for compiling. I work in IT and am comfortable with computers, but I am a pretty solid noob when it comes to Linux (particularly terminal commands), and this is the first time I have compiled anything outside of a Java or C++ class. Despite this, I was able to get the package built (hopefully correctly) following the instructions on the Wiki. If there was a bit of information added at the end about making your compiled work into a package, I think that would be beneficial. I understand the directions would change slightly based on OS, but Debian / Ubuntu is probably a pretty safe place to start.

Just my $0.02 - Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Semi-noob compiling questions0