Aeon on NVIDIA Ion graphics and Atom CPU hardware at 1080p native skin resolution?
Question 
I'm about to pick up a Zotac ION board for use as my HTPC, since the linux version uses hardware acceleration, i've been told in the forum that it will play 1080p content no problem on that system. I'm still uncertain however if it will smoothly work with AEON, so anyone know if it will? I'm sure it probably will, but I'd like to be certain before I drop the money on it.

Thanks.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
My C2D E6420@3,2GHz has 50% load on mid-fast browsing in the multiplex view, so I don't think that it would run completely smooth on an atom because the atom is terribly slow compared to a c2d. But I have no tests, so I might be wrong. Smile
I'm using an Atom with ION and Aeon. The full version can be a little clunky but Paul's lite version is fine.... in showcase mode I have it in flat view for better transition framerate but you should be fine.

Pete
Thanks for the reply Pete..., one question for you. Do you think that the "clunkyness" is from the slower CPU, or from the GPU? reason I ask is because I've seen on reviews that the zotac's can be OC'd to 2 Ghz, so I'm wondering if the 400Mhz speed increase would be enough of a boost to smooth things out. Also I'm thinking of using an SSD instead of a hard drive, wonder if that would make things more playable.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Hello,

I've a Zotac ITX A. So Atom 330. So far no performance issue and it's quite smooth with Aeon and 1080 backdrop.
As for the movies, I've launched an mkv (bluray) with 780p, picture are flawless and smooth. I just have an issue with the sound, probably due to the HDMI setup.
lolau,

Have you tried it with 1080p content yet? Most of my stuff is 720, but I do have about 10 1080p mkv's, don't think they go above 12-15Mbps though, so not super intensive. Thanks for your reply though.
Hello,

Not yet. I've just installed it last weekend and were fighting with HDMI (not yet fully solved on DVD and bluray). So no time to go further on video optimization and tests.
And this week I'm on business trip, so probably on Saturday.

I let you know.
if your using the linux branch .. i guarentee you won't have ANY problems playing back content thanks to vdpau .. the skin and scrolling and such is a different matter
lolau Wrote:Hello,

Not yet. I've just installed it last weekend and were fighting with HDMI (not yet fully solved on DVD and bluray). So no time to go further on video optimization and tests.
And this week I'm on business trip, so probably on Saturday.

I let you know.
any news on this? maybe some words to the smoothness of the aeon GUI? Smile
You don't need to worry about 1080p with VDPAU enabled your CPU will hardly do anything

Even single core acer revo does 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGPcwzq_QI

Check out the CPU usage in the first one
Sorry for the late reply.

I confirm, no issue so far with VDPAU. CPU does not go above 15%.

The only issue I face from time top time is XBMC completely freezing. Mainly when I'm doing some setup changes or playing with Fanert and thumbs. So fare never when playing a movie.
So does Aeon run smooth with Ion330 or do we NEED to run the Lite version?
Aeon in 720p runs great
>>X<<' Wrote:You don't need to worry about 1080p with VDPAU enabled your CPU will hardly do anything

Even single core acer revo does 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGPcwzq_QI

Check out the CPU usage in the first one

Fantastic! Can't believe I hadn't heard of this little desktop before. Definitely interested in the dual core version (with 4GB) of ram that is due out soon. Finally I will be able to move my gigantic Antec case with 10 hard drives in away from the TV and into the garage!
Yesterday I've set up aeon under win7 and it runs great in 1080p ond my zotac ion htpc (3.25gb ram, 1tb hdd).

Edit: Well, I think I might have to correct my previous statement:

Although xbmc aeon itself runs quite smooth, the playback of video files doesn't. But I guess it's a matter of configuring the codec stuff etc. because even the standard definition files look somewhat bad. HD files do run ok, but the picture quality is bad.

I need to figure out how to configure the codecs, i'm new to all this Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon on NVIDIA Ion graphics and Atom CPU hardware at 1080p native skin resolution?1