Failed to initialize audio with 5.1 ac3 audio
phi2039 Wrote:Generally speaking, S/PDIF passthrough with a USB Audio Device on XP requires support from a miniport driver. Can you verify that any other software is able to pass encoded AC3 or DTS data through to your receiver?

I do not like to point to hardware compatibility in most cases, but it may be accurate in this instance (and not at all related to it being a home-built device).

Thanks for looking into this phi2039. Smile

I can confirm AC3/DTS is working with other Media Players. I tried Media Player Classic and VLC, both output an untouched (no resampling) signal to my reciever which shows its true 5.1. Windows (and Linux btw.) detects the Device as USB Audio DAC.

Most USB Devices you can buy today having an optical output resample 5.1 streams to 48KHz (meaning you loose your 5.1 stream and get stereo from the reciever) because of hardware limitations. This is not the case here and was the reason for me to build this soundcard. It outputs 32, 44.1 and 48kHz without resampling.

I dont think its a driver or hardware related problem as other players like VLC or MPC have no problems at all... this is driving me crazy but at least i now know for sure the Linux port would be an option Eek

Is there any more I can do to help / test / log? I dont have any more good Ideas left on my end...
Another try, this time on a diffrent system:

Realizing I still have my old Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Board lying ´round here (this one has an onboard opt out!!) I´ve put together another test system on a fresh windows install. What can I say... diffrent sound chip, diffrent hardware, same problem, same errors.

Is there somebody who can confirm S/PDIF / digital sound actually works in the windows xbmc port with 5.1 sound? Or is this feature broken maybe?

thanks for any help on this issue
ingrimsch
Yes, AC3/DTS passthrough works for most on Windows.

You need to enable debug logging in Settings -> System -> Hardware, and re-post a log.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

You can find the log here: http://pastebin.com/f2b380d9e

thanks! Smile
So, just a little additional information, so despite 5.1 working in MPC, MPC-HC and VLC. I cannot get mkvs, dvds, or isos to play properly in mplayer. I feel like this must be a driver pass-through issue, but can't seem to figure out where it's taking place. If anyone has any ideas to see if I can verify my hunch, I would appreciate the help. Thanks so much.
I used to have same problems Smile
I see in the log that the sample rate is 48khz so in the sound panel / Read
Select your output / Properties then Supported Formats and then here select the différent sample rate that your card support, by default only 44.1 is selected.

Hope this correct your problem. (Only vista).

I use french Vista so the menu may not be exactly this name but you've got the idea.
Hey Tolriq,

I will definitely try this when I get home. I don't think this should be an issue as other players have already been able to play ac3, but maybe the default windows setting is somehow affecting xbmc. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you all know how it goes!
any luck? I am having the same problem...
No luck for me... still the same problems with the windows port.

I´ve set up a linux box and have no problems that way. If there is any way to troubleshoot the windows port I´m still willing to help.
Still no luck after all this time. I still have no idea why I cannot get 5.1 out of XBMC. I originally thought it had to do with my setup, but after tinkering for literally weeks with my system (and fixing nearly every other problem I've ever had with my computer). I think that there must be some software issue. I'm just dealing with it and moving on. I've done everything I possibly could on my end.
Jay, what kind of sound card do you have installed with your system?
Know that it's been a while, because I just decided to deal with it, but I wanted to answer your question. I have an integrated sound card for my system that houses the optical out. Let me know if that sheds any light on the situation. Thanks!
Jayquilty - just to let you know, I have a similar issue, and posted the details here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55415

I'll subscribe to your thread too in case of a 'breakthrough'.

I'm wondering if there is a hardware incompatibility issue going on - although it sounds like you've got a generic integrated soundcard vs. my Turtle Beach soundcard.
Hey Guys - just a head's up that I've found a workaround here for now. I'm using the external player to play movies and TV shows in XBMC, and successfully getting 5.1 surround via the toslink on video that will only do 2 channel analog with XBMC's native player.

You can read about how to enable the external player here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback
Well I can't get digital audio via HDMI, but if I switch to SP/DIF TOslink cable the audio is digital.
Setup
Kodi v17.6
Gigabyte GA-Z85N-WIFI + Intel 4670K with onboard gfx / sound
Win 7 Prof 64bit + Denon X3100 + Benq HT1070

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed to initialize audio with 5.1 ac3 audio0