Failed to initialize audio with 5.1 ac3 audio
Jayquility (and others with the toslink issue) - SUCCESS!

See my thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55727 for the solution that solved my issue. If your soundcard is a C-Media based card, you'll be good to go with this 3rd party driver.

I hope this fixes your issues.
Unfortunately, while I do think I probably have the same problem as you do deepblue (as in a driver issue). I don't think this driver will help as I have an SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio card. Maybe there's an update to this card that I haven't been able to find that would fix it. So far though, no luck.
Jayquility - I'm not sure if SoundMax uses the C-Media chipset, but per the site where that driver is hosted, there are hundreds and hundreds of no-name or whitelabeled soundcards that have this chipset but don't explicitly state it. Try uninstalling your current drivers and installing the one's linked to above. It will either work or tell you it can't find compatible hardware.

If it doesn't work - I'd suggest looking around on ebay for a low cost PCI card (e.g. the Turtle Beach Riviera - here's one for $25: Ebay Link). Simply pop in the PCI card and disable your onboard soundcard in the BIOS.

Good luck.
I've just started having the same problem (worked fine before today).

My audio is output over the HDMI from my media pc using the ATi/AMD chipset.

I updated to the latest ATi HDMI audio driver today, so I suspect that rolling it back will fix it.

Will let you know how I get on.
Okay, I've tried every way of rolling back the ATi/AMD HDMI Audio Driver in XP and non has made any difference.

Can anyone confirm if they've also installed the latest ATi/AMD HDMI Audio Driver?

Thanks
hello guys.

i am having the same problem here with my sound. I am using a P5B-Plus Vista Edition motherboard with no extra sound card.

I get perfect 5.1 sound from VLC but not from XBMC.

If i switch to analog it plays fine.

What can i do?
I just got the same error, and fixed it Big Grin

Yesterday everything worked, then i did a little cleanup and did a lot of things, so i don't know what caused the problem, but after updating my graphics driver (with hdmi audio which i don't use), updating xbmc, changing from aeon skin to transparency and after all that ac3 did'nt work with the same error message as you are all getting.

I have Realtek HD-audio optical out and hdmi digital out, i use the optical.

First i tried changing back to aeon, no go Sad
then i changed audio settings in windows and confirmed it worked in other apps...
i checked the debug log and have the same errors as you in debug log.

Then i went to device manager and disabled the hdmi audio out, and SUCCESS!!

So if you have more audio devices in device managers, disable all but the optical out and se if that helps.

Edit: now i re-enabled hdmi audio out in device manager and it still works..?..!

Well, atleast it works fine now
Smile 
Requiem Wrote:I just got the same error, and fixed it Big Grin

Yesterday everything worked, then i did a little cleanup and did a lot of things, so i don't know what caused the problem, but after updating my graphics driver (with hdmi audio which i don't use), updating xbmc, changing from aeon skin to transparency and after all that ac3 did'nt work with the same error message as you are all getting.

I have Realtek HD-audio optical out and hdmi digital out, i use the optical.

First i tried changing back to aeon, no go Sad
then i changed audio settings in windows and confirmed it worked in other apps...
i checked the debug log and have the same errors as you in debug log.

Then i went to device manager and disabled the hdmi audio out, and SUCCESS!!

So if you have more audio devices in device managers, disable all but the optical out and se if that helps.

Edit: now i re-enabled hdmi audio out in device manager and it still works..?..!

Well, atleast it works fine now

Is this information meaningful for someone else? Or the problem is solved and I just don't know about this? Laugh
Um, people don't post about the problem anymore. So either it's been resolved or other people have simply disabled every audio device except the optical out.
natethomas Wrote:Um, people don't post about the problem anymore. So either it's been resolved or other people have simply disabled any audio device except the optical out.
If it has helped...BTW, why MPC with AC3filter work it without any intervention of the user? Ask youself, please. Of course I have disabled all audio device except the HDMI out, but useless. I have digital output in XBMC but still not have sound in AC3 and DTS. This is a bug and I really want to find out where he hides! With your help or without it.
You could try turning digital output off. While your receiver won't light up with Dolby or DTS, it may still play 5.1 sound, as the receiver is connected via hdmi.

Otherwise, see my signature for how to post a debug log.
Ok, I am ready!
See the debug log here:
http://pastebin.com/m356d7f22

For my experiments I have used a BDrip “Spiderman 3”, it has 3 sound streams – AC3, DTS and Flac, all of them 5.1. I have digital audio enabled and ac3 audio and dts audio enabled. The only thing that I have heard it’s a flac track in digital, but it’s no 5.1 sound. I don’t understand the task of XBMC in this case, only thing is required from the program is to transmit not decoded signal to a receiver.

My system:

Intel Core Duo E7400
Windows XP SP3
ATI Radeon HD 4550
XBMC 9.04.1-repack2
Latest drivers installed

HTPC -> via HDMI to -> Receiver Yamaha RV-563 -> via HDMI to -> Pioneer PDP
ATI 4350 here on my main HTPC via HDMI.

Working AC3 and DTS in Windows 7 only. Trust me this will not work in XP SP3 without some serious hacking. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...light=4550

If you have Vista or Windows 7 it is a simple case of
Right click the volume icon.
Select playback devices
Select the HDMI audio device as default and double click it
Go to the supported Formats and test and select all those that apply.

Works with my ATI 4350 for outputting Dolby and DTS to my Receiver.

The default ATI HDMI driver is known to be buggy so get the Realtek ATI HDMI driver.
Thanks for your reply! I will try it on my laptop with Windows Vista and ATI 4650. I have done this before, but I have only enabled 48 KHz format. You look in my future, cuz I am going to try tonight different drivers for HDMI, including the Realtek.

P.S. If you have noticed I have no problem with AC3 and DTS in MPC-HC with AC3Filter. It was not simple, but it works fine and now I can give an advice for anybody.
Just noting in my above post that this is an HDMI issue in general with Windows XP regardless of what Media Software you are using. I am only aware of Power DVD being able to passthrough 5.1 via HDMI on XP. AC3 filter I haven't used in years, just make sure it isn't re-encoding your source.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed to initialize audio with 5.1 ac3 audio0