[LINUX] LPCM over HDMI audio resampling questions?
ylagace Wrote:No chance for me to try the patch as I am away for a while but in meantime I have the log of a TrueHD example. This movie (Indiana Crystal Skull) has a TrueHD stream in the first position. You can see the error message and the first stream is showing as AC3?? in the log.

I hope this might be useful to some of you until I return and try the patch.

The video is playing good but I get the audio by very short dribble like 1 sec out of 10 or 20 secs. The AVR is showing Digital Dolby then PCM and back (keep cycling). I had passthrough enable. Now I realize I should have tried without passthrough (too late now!). Anyway just in case I post it here:

http://pastebin.com/m3ceac9f2

You can not passthrough any type of "protected" hd audio formats, like tru-hd or dts master audio. There is no hardware that supports protected audio path yet. Auzentech will bring the first card capable of bitstream these formats through protected audio path:

http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/pr..._homet.php

There is no chance to have support for this functionality in Linux for a LONG time. Even in windows only some selected properiaty software player will have support for this. So for example you won't have a directshow filter that does this job. Because they are afraid that people will steal the "bits" of the sound stream.

There are solutions that decode and rip the stream into lpcm. Like eac3to.

So the stream have to be uncrypted and decoded first. I'm afraid ffmpeg can not do the decoding and uncrypting of the hd sound yet... There are plans for it but it is niot there yet. I think.

So first thing is to check wheter ffmpeg can decode it. If it can than hdmi lpcm works like a regular analog multichannel output to pass the decoded, unrypted LPCM (not tru-hd) stream to the receiver.

If not, you have to rip the soundtrack into multichannel flac format, which is playable as lpcm in xbmc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:VERY IMPORTANT !

EVERYONE HAVE TO START XSERVER TO HEAR ANY HDMI SOUND !

Start X and then start an xterm, there try the speaker test !

This could be your problem.

This is news to me. Didn't come by this info before... Now perhaps you can explain this in greater detail for us? Smile

Do I have to have XBMC stopped? tnx

Code:
xbmc@Stuen:~$ sudo X
[sudo] password for xbmc:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

Code:
xbmc@Stuen:~$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
ultrabrutal Wrote:This is news to me. Didn't come by this info before... Now perhaps you can explain this in greater detail for us? Smile

Do I have to have XBMC stopped? tnx

Code:
xbmc@Stuen:~$ sudo X
[sudo] password for xbmc:

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

Code:
xbmc@Stuen:~$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm:  DISPLAY is not set

You seem to have X already running. This is not the problem you have. Do you have normal stereo sound over HDMI ?

If not, than check out alsamixer if all iec channels are unmuted !
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I have no sound at all. Sad I've tried a million things now by now.
Yesterday I set up a Revo with USB spdif dongle with a minimal install also. No problems there.

Today I installed a XBMC Live on my ASRock ION 330 and was able to get some sound out though only 2 channels of the 6 which were in the movie.

But my own minimal install fails to produce any sounds eventhough everything looks fine to me. Sad

Alsamixer settings for you, though I cannot see the relevance for IEC since those are used for the spdif in the ASRock?

Code:
┌───────────────────────[AlsaMixer v1.0.20 (Press Escape to quit)]───────────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA NVidia                                                                       │
│ Chip: Nvidia MCP7A HDMI                                                                │
│ View: [Playback] Capture  All                                                          │
│ Item: IEC958 Default PCM                                                               │
│    ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐                                          │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │      │  │                                          │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │      │  │                                          │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │  │                                          │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │  │                                          │
│    ├──┤     └──┘      ├──┤     ├──┤      ├──┤     ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     │
│    │OO│               │OO│     │MO│      │MM│     │OO│     │OO│      │OO│     │OO│     │
│    └──┘               └──┘     └──┘      └──┘     └──┘     └──┘      └──┘     └──┘     │
│  100<>100 100<>100  100<>100  10<>10     0<>0                                          │
│  Master F   PCM      Front     Line      Mic     IEC958 <IEC958 D> IEC958 1 IEC958 2   │
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
I have the Zotac not the ASrock but I had a HDMI setting in the BIOS to set first.

After that I only had to enter hdmi, hdmi for the xbmc passthrough and device setting in XBCM Settings->System->Audio hardware to get sound. It was working even before I applied the NVIDIA patch.

Hope it helps...

Alan, I will try the TrueHD without passthrough when I return later this week.
Did any of you get DTS working on the ION330 ?
Sound is such a show stopper. I've given up. Nothing works. I can probably get spdif to work (did that with a revo with usb dongle), but then it's bye to HD sound Sad
Some day a solution might turn up...
Yep AC3 and DTS is working on my Zotac ION330. It was working before I applied the patch (and after). I am still working on the True-HD and DTS-HD.
Definitely interested in getting DTS-MA and TrueHD working with my ION box. Had no problem getting DTS/AC3 to work.
ultrabrutal Wrote:Sound is such a show stopper. I've given up. Nothing works. I can probably get spdif to work (did that with a revo with usb dongle), but then it's bye to HD sound Sad
Some day a solution might turn up...

Stupid questions...but have you tried the following:

- Make sure Audio over HDMI is setup in BIOS (If that is even an option)
- Make sure ALL the IEC958 options in ALSAMIXER are unmuted
- Make sure to set the audio output device and passthrough output device to 'hdmi' (no quotes) in the System/Audio Hardware Settings in XBMC
- Create a file sudo nano /etc/asound.conf and insert the following:

Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }
}

You may want to reboot after any changes just to make sure it all takes

I've had no problem getting HDMI working to my receiver doing a minimal Ubuntu install 9.04 with the latest of XBMC...no additional patches or drivers outside of the updated NVidia Display driver. I may be using a different motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H, but it is generally the same hardware and path to getting sound up and running. Let me know if you have any questions
nmiller Wrote:Stupid questions...but have you tried the following:

- Make sure Audio over HDMI is setup in BIOS (If that is even an option)
- Make sure ALL the IEC958 options in ALSAMIXER are unmuted
- Make sure to set the audio output device and passthrough output device to 'hdmi' (no quotes) in the System/Audio Hardware Settings in XBMC
- Create a file sudo nano /etc/asound.conf and insert the following:

Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }
}

You may want to reboot after any changes just to make sure it all takes

I've had no problem getting HDMI working to my receiver doing a minimal Ubuntu install 9.04 with the latest of XBMC...no additional patches or drivers outside of the updated NVidia Display driver. I may be using a different motherboard, GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H, but it is generally the same hardware and path to getting sound up and running. Let me know if you have any questions

Hi Nmiller !

I have issues with navigation sound. It seems to work with the settings you wrote for .asoundrc, but from time to time i loose navsounds. I realized that i loose it in case i play an ac3, dts passthrough movie and i PAUSE it for 3-4 secs and restart it. After that my navsounds dissapear.

Can you test this with your config ?
Moved to hardware - fits better in here.
I have installed the second patch (i.e. the new rates - 44100, 96000, 192000) and I still cannot get True-HD and DTS-HD sound. I have the exact same symptoms as my previous log.

I will try first to get VLC and/or mplayer working on my rig with VDPAU to see if I can use them as external players if they can handle these codecs in Linux. I can tell it is not going to be easy.

But first I need to get them to work with VDPAU and also manage to mount my NAS drives so I can access my movies. XBMC has no trouble mounting those drives but whenever I tried to mount them manually it never works. Ubuntu/Linux is a bitch when it comes to mount network drives...

I am stumbling around all that documentation since I know so little about Linux/Ubuntu.

Oh well it is going to be a long term project...

I will also try to start another thread in Linux support with my log file to see if someone can help with this stuff.
ylagace Wrote:I have installed the second patch (i.e. the new rates - 44100, 96000, 192000) and I still cannot get True-HD and DTS-HD sound. I have the exact same symptoms as my previous log.

I will try first to get VLC and/or mplayer working on my rig with VDPAU to see if I can use them as external players if they can handle these codecs in Linux. I can tell it is not going to be easy.

But first I need to get them to work with VDPAU and also manage to mount my NAS drives so I can access my movies. XBMC has no trouble mounting those drives but whenever I tried to mount them manually it never works. Ubuntu/Linux is a bitch when it comes to mount network drives...

I am stumbling around all that documentation since I know so little about Linux/Ubuntu.

Oh well it is going to be a long term project...

I will also try to start another thread in Linux support with my log file to see if someone can help with this stuff.

Ylagace!

I repeat, you can not play tru-hd or DTS-HD tracks on the fly yet !!

You have to decrypt it with eac3to to flac, only after that you can play it as hd lpcm over hdmi.
Alan,

I was under the impression that the latest version of XBMC (SVN) since early May was compiled with the new version of ffmpeg which now does the True-HD decoding. I though that once we had it decoded it would be available as a LPCM multi channel stream:

from [url]"http://trac.xbmc.org/milestone/9.04"[/url]

Quote:Updated FFmpeg (libavcodec/libavformat) adding new audio/video codecs, like:

• M2TS/M2T/MTS ( Blu-ray and AVCHD video format) container support

• EVO (Enhanced VOB) for HD DVD video format container support

• AVS (Audio Video Standard) audio/video decoder and container support

• Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD audio software decoder

• MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) / Packed PCM (PPCM) audio decoder

•WMA Pro Audio Codec (Windows Media Audio 9 Professional)

•...and many more, for a full list see XBMC Supported Formats and Codecs

What is your understanding of what is available via ffmpeg??

Do you know if anyone can get True-HD decoding via mplayer or VLC for Linux (since they both use ffmpeg)?? We could then use them as external players...

I must admit I do not understand what the limitations are once ffmeg can decode the True-HD stream... I always thought that this would give us LPCM audio?!

Anyway I can always do FLAC or I keep playing them as is on the PCH A-110. I am alway trying to avoid those extra steps Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] LPCM over HDMI audio resampling questions?0