[XBOX] Standby mode / Sleep mode (power-save mode, without shutting down) on the Xbox
Lightbulb 
i was up all night watchin movies and i realized as i was
goin to the littleboys room that the xbox itself makes allot of noise.
so i shut is off, but when i returned and throw my lazy ass back on the sofa i couldnt turn it back on without goin back up...
( i know that it can be fixed with the help of some tutorials from xbox- scene)

so i was wondering if it even is a possabillity to have a standbymode for the xbox? so i can turn it back on from my remote...

/bhellium
no standby mode as far as i know but the xirremote mod will allow you to keep your lazy ass on the couch and still turn on and off the xbox. :d

highly recommended.
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| xbox1: v1.1, samsung dvd,120 gb hd,x-ecuter pro 2.2,xbmc
| xbox2: v1.2, phillips dvd, retail hd, tsop, avalaunch, xbmc
| xirremote, x2_4977, media center utils
are you calling my ass lazy? in fact it is firm and nice to touch Wink

yea well that would be the best sulution but i suck at those things,
my xbox would probably catch fire if i tried...

i acually paid someone to mod my xbox for me...
i have 3 xboxes, all running xmbc -- great job you guys have done.

i'd like to leave them on all the time, but they're relatively loud and use a relatively large amount of power. is there any way to reduce power, slow the fan, etc when idle?

i've seen the power off script which may be the best approximation of this but i'd like to treat xmbc like tivo -- always on.
fan speed control is in the settings menus.

the xbox does not have a low power mode.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i don't want to change it manually; reducing the fan speed automatically when nothing is being done.
set it temperature based. if the xbox is not doing much, temp will drop, thus fan will drop speed.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

you can also set spin-down on the harddrive which reduce power usage and noise when its idle. moving post to the support forum
Question 
first; a big thank you to the xbmc dev team. you guys are developing an awesome product that will make the xbox an invaluable tool for years to come. thank you.

the idea for a remote power on solution came to mind while toying with xbmc's led control settings. while xbmc can shut the box down, turning the box on from this state is impossible; but what if the xbox was never actually shut down?

here’s the idea:

add a "sleep" function to the remote menu that would do the following:

turn off the xbox led
spin down the hdd
cut fan output to 20% or auto temp control
cut off all a/v output - not just black screen.
end all processes except for a looped process waiting for a remote signal to wake up or "turn on" the xbox.

this would be great because the xbox would for all intensive purposes be off, except for the low hum of the fan, which could be set to either run at a very low speed or to monitor temp and adjust speed accordingly. other processes that would be good to run in this sleeping state would be an auto wake up timer or even an alarm that when triggered would play songs from a pre determined or random location.

the only problem that comes to mind is the over-all health and longevity of the xbox when it sits in a prolonged on-but-sleep state. a solution for this would be to have an option to actually shut the xbox down after a specific amount of time in this state. say 24 to 48 hours.

that is all - any opinions appreciated.
a better name would be "standby mode".
as much electronics as possible should be shutdown to save power. i don't know however if any of this is possible...

(pike @ feb. 12 2005,21:56 Wrote:a better name would be "standby mode".
as much electronics as possible should be shutdown to save power. i don't know however if any of this is possible...
agreed, "stand by" would be a better name for the option.

most of the features listed here are already implemented in xbmc, just not together. hdd spindown, led off and fan control work very well. i'm not sure though if video output can be cut off.
xbox is basically a pc, i however have my doubts it supports acpi, what modern pc's use for this type of thing

Big Grin 
turn xbmc to green

technically is possible to reduce the energy consumption (using hlt instruction in its piii), eg. see gentoo linux running idle... it reduces xbox's temperature drastically.
why not porting the code necessary? there are thousands of xbox with xbmc in the world...
when i listen music i don't like to consumm 75w for such an insignificant task, power is money and pollution.

keep coding!!! ':bowdown:'

(i will thank you this code implemented donating 40€ more for the money saved in electricity bill) (excuse my english)
hlt instructions would be awesome!
I'm the one currently maintaning the Norwegian translation. Please drop me a message if you find errors or room for improvement.
hi,

first of all i'd like to thank all the developers and their helpers - keep up your great work!

my question is:

is there a chance to implement the hlt-command into xbmc? by using this command, which is supported by the piii cpu, heat, power consumption, fan noise and energy costs would go down. i think it would be very useful, especially when listening to mp3 files when no cpu load is caused.

what do you think about this?

(please excuse my bad english!Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Standby mode / Sleep mode (power-save mode, without shutting down) on the Xbox2