[MAC] XBMC for Mac vs. Plex native 1080p video playback on Mac Mini (NVIDIA 9400)?
Question 
Hi,

I´m considering to buy a new mac mini to use as a HTPC.
I want to be able to play 1080p material in OS X.

Can XBMC handle 1080p using OS X on a mac mini (with nvidia 9400 gpu?

I really like XBMC and don´t want to use Plex, but if it the only option...

Br, Daniel
if plex handle it, we handle it. they do after all rely completely on xbmc's players unless that changed very recently.
Plus if you go one further and put linux on it you will probably get vdpau decode as well
spiff Wrote:if plex handle it, we handle it. they do after all rely completely on xbmc's players unless that changed very recently.

I don´t know if plex can handle it.

Then the real question is, can xbmc for os x handle 1080p? Smile
Jezz_X Wrote:Plus if you go one further and put linux on it you will probably get vdpau decode as well

Do you know if mac os snow leopard will handle vdpau?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html
vdpau = video decode and presentation api for unix (and not bsd)

so no, vdpau is not for osx. if you want 1080p on a mac mini do yourself the favor and ditch that unusable os ;P
Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix, so no.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
vdrfan Wrote:Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix, so no.

Thanks

If I got it right, vdpau in linux makes it possible to use gpu acceleration to offload the cpu.

But will mac OS in combination with NVIDIA drivers offer similar functionality (enable smooth 1080p playback)?
dannybullit Wrote:Do you know if mac os snow leopard will handle vdpau?

"QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration
requires a Mac with a NVIDIA 9400M graphics processor."

I'm running XBMC on my Mac mini (using OSX) and every 1080p I have runs fine Wink (Except the "killa sample", which doesn't even run smooth on my main computer ^^)
1080p playback with Plex is just as smooth as it is with XBMC, but I would use XBMC Wink
clep Wrote:I'm running XBMC on my Mac mini (using OSX) and every 1080p I have runs fine Wink (Except the "killa sample", which doesn't even run smooth on my main computer ^^)
1080p playback with Plex is just as smooth as it is with XBMC, but I would use XBMC Wink

ok, that´s nive to hear!

How xbmc under mac os handle auto swtching between 24/50/60 Hz material?
Did you have to "calibriate video" or was the size correct from the beginning?

One problem with xbmc and linux is the inability to correctly detect EDID, resulting in having to create manual modelines that are specific to the GPU/TV. Are there similiar issues with mac os?
dannybullit Wrote:How xbmc under mac os handle auto swtching between 24/50/60 Hz material?
Did you have to "calibriate video" or was the size correct from the beginning?

One problem with xbmc and linux is the inability to correctly detect EDID, resulting in having to create manual modelines that are specific to the GPU/TV. Are there similiar issues with mac os?

Everything worked fine from the beginning. I use the "Sync playback to display" and "Adjust refresh rate" options in the video settings from XBMC. So my 1080p movies that run at 24fps now run at 25fps, which makes them absolutely smooth on my TV when running 50Hz (I'm using the Toshiba 42XV556 which can playback 24p movies but sadly not smooth ^^). And when I run movies around 30fps, the refresh rate adjust to 60Hz and so those run fine as well Wink
I will test the "Adjust refresh rate" option again later today, to make sure that it really works as it should and will post the results after that. But until now I had no problems Wink
clep Wrote:Everything worked fine from the beginning. I use the "Sync playback to display" and "Adjust refresh rate" options in the video settings from XBMC. So my 1080p movies that run at 24fps now run at 25fps, which makes them absolutely smooth on my TV when running 50Hz. And when I run movies around 30fps, the refresh rate adjust to 60Hz and so those run fine as well Wink
I will test the "Adjust refresh rate" option again later today, to make sure that it really works as it should and will post the results after that. But until now I had no problems Wink

This sounds promising. It would be really nice if xbmc will be able to use the hardware acceleration that mac os leopard offers with nvidia 9400 Smile

I suppose that no one can answer this question?
i can surely answer that question;

no, we do not use quicktime and as such, no you won't get hw accel going. hopefully ffmpeg will look at opencl usage
spiff Wrote:i can surely answer that question;

no, we do not use quicktime and as such, no you won't get hw accel. hopefully ffmpeg will look at opencl usage

ok, so if I want a nice xbmc setup for 1080p . mac mini with mac os is not a good option.

A low cost ION box with xbmc live for linux would handle 1080p much better.

Agree?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] XBMC for Mac vs. Plex native 1080p video playback on Mac Mini (NVIDIA 9400)?0