Few questions about the volume?
Question 
Recently, the iMON software was updated adding a new feature that I've been looking for sometime. Simply put, I can now use the volume buttons on the remote to control XBMC volume and at the same time, control Windows volume when XBMC wasn't running. I couldn't configure such a thing before this update...

So now, I want to configure my remote to work like this, but I have a few questions about the volume in general before doing so.

1) No matter if the XBMC volume is at it's maximum, if Windows volume is very low, the sound output will be low. Is there anyway around this? Maybe, set the Windows volume to the maximum when XBMC starts up and restore it back when XBMC closes?

2) What happens to any Windows sounds and/or other Windows applications sounds running in the background when XBMC is running in the foreground? Do they still play no matter what? Anyway to do something about it?

3) Is there any configuration possible to show a volume label between 1 and 100 instead of the db level? I don't find db values really user friendly and my mom and sister certainly have no idea what it means and may find it confusing. Why you have opted to show the db levels in the first place still confuses me lol, but hey, not trying to sound a douche if it sounds like that, I appreciate all the work done.

EDIT:
To explain a little bit more why I'm doing all these questions...

I want to be able to chance XBMC volume channel instead of the Windows one like I said at the top. And I also want to be able to set the volume as loud as possible in case I need it for some reason. For that, I need the Windows volume at it's maximum so the XBMC volume doesn't get limited by it. So far so good, but let's say it's late at night, I have XBMC volume set at, say, 20%, and some background sounds come from Windows itself or some of it's applications, that sound will be very loud because the Windows volume is at 100%.
Anyone please?
Perhaps I'm off base on what you are attempting to do, but why not just have your remote control Windows volume at all times and have XBMC set to Max? Is there a reason to separate the volume controls?
david81 Wrote:Perhaps I'm off base on what you are attempting to do, but why not just have your remote control Windows volume at all times and have XBMC set to Max? Is there a reason to separate the volume controls?
Because the volume OSD doesn't display if I control the Windows sound instead of XBMC sound.
I wonder if it would be feasible to incorporate the ability to read/display/adjust the Windows volume level directly....

Other apps do it and MS seems to provide decent docs on how to...

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e...Table.docx
I created a topic about just that in the past and then a ticket was created:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45289
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5989

This would be the best solution in my opinion. However, that ticket didn't got much attention from any devs (or so it seems) and I created this new topic to see if I could workaround the problem.

I really wanted to have a volume OSD on screen...
*bump*
Can't a developer please shed some light on this subject?
i use eventghost with my remote, and I add a "set Master Volume to" command to set the volume to max as xbmc is launched,

then my remote to volume using xbmc, as then i get OSD.

re-read your original post. disable the windows sounds, do you need them!?
I don't use any other software besides the one that came with my remote and I don't need (and shouldn't need) any other, stuff like this should work nicely with the system.

Also, when you exit XBMC, the Windows volume will be at maximum or Event Ghost will set it back to the previous value? Either way, I don't want to use additional software just for this...

Like I said, I don't use the computer just for XBMC, so yes, I "need" the Windows sounds.
Sad 
Yeah, I get annoyed by the same issue when I switch between "Windows 7 Media Center" and "XBMC" using the "xbmc watcher" program.
Often the audio volume ends up being far too low when I switch "XBMC" and the only way to fix it is pop out of "XBMC" and adjust the Windows volume controls.

"XBMC" uses the "Wav" or as it now called in Win7 the "Application" volume control.
"Windows 7 Media Center" seems to override the "Master" or as it now called in Win7 the "Device" volume control by creating it's own audio source that can also be adjusted independently.
But when you move the volume up and down within "Win 7 Media Center" it adjusts the "Master\Device" and "Media Center" volume even if their levels are not in sync.

I can see how morally the "XBMC" properly uses the the "Application" volume in Windows since it is an application.

However it would be nice if there was setting in the "XBMC" Audio properties to map the "Master\Device" volume controls to XBMC's controls.
Perhaps it can be done in a similar way as "Windows 7 Media Center" does.

XBMC 11: EDEN | XBMC | HDDVD+Blu-Ray ISO playback & Blu-ray player
PC - HTPC CASE: APEX DM-318 Black Steel MB: ASUS M3N78-EM/NVIDA8300 | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ RAM: 2gb DDR2 1066
HD: 70gb(System) DVDROM: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD OS: Win7 | NAS: 3-terabytes(RAID 5)
Eventghost is the way to go. I'd say its a necessity in any good xbmc setup. Makes everything work so much better.
LyndonW Wrote:Eventghost is the way to go.
No it's not. XBMC is XBMC and not XBMC + A + B + C...

So, we get an option to use an external player and can't get an option to control the system volume?

(this is a rhetorical question, not an indirect question at developers)

This is one of those little details that, in my opinion, would make XBMC even better than the rest.
Nazgulled Wrote:No it's not. XBMC is XBMC and not XBMC + A + B + C...

So, we get an option to use an external player and can't get an option to control the system volume?

(this is a rhetorical question, not an indirect question at developers)

This is one of those little details that, in my opinion, would make XBMC even better than the rest.

My thoughts exactly.
This is seems like an issue that crept up when they moved the Windows XBMC version to DirectShow.

I just want to take a moment out of my slight bitchingAngry about the audio and say I love XBMC.

I've used it ever since it started on the XBOX and think the developers are just awesome at what they do!

I know they have a lot of things on their plate that are possibly more important or interesting, but I'd really love to see this issue amended rather than having to cobble together a work around.

XBMC 11: EDEN | XBMC | HDDVD+Blu-Ray ISO playback & Blu-ray player
PC - HTPC CASE: APEX DM-318 Black Steel MB: ASUS M3N78-EM/NVIDA8300 | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ RAM: 2gb DDR2 1066
HD: 70gb(System) DVDROM: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD OS: Win7 | NAS: 3-terabytes(RAID 5)
What version of Windows? I know with Windows 7 and probably Windows Vista, you don't have to use a DirectSound audio device for output. You can use a WASAPI device instead, which means XBMC basically bypasses all the volume controls and such and connects to the sound device directly. That might be a way for you maintain independent volume from Windows. It's kinda like what happens when you have a SPDIF connection where volume is ignored for the most part, and is controlled by the receiver or TV that you connected to.

This feature isn't available to XP and I think it didn't show up in XBMC until after 9.11 was released so you will need a recent SVN release.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few questions about the volume?0