Few questions about the volume?
Yes, it's Windows 7 x86.

Not a bad idea but not desirable work around for me.

I'd basically have to use a another remote to change the volume instead of a Bluetooth keyboard every time I wanted to change the volume.
My current configuration only requires a me to put down my "Media Center" remote every once in a while depending on if I'm "XBMC" or Win7 "Media Center".
Also doing that would force me to reconfigure my hardware since the audio would no longer come through my "HDMI" port. Sad

XBMC 11: EDEN | XBMC | HDDVD+Blu-Ray ISO playback & Blu-ray player
PC - HTPC CASE: APEX DM-318 Black Steel MB: ASUS M3N78-EM/NVIDA8300 | CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ RAM: 2gb DDR2 1066
HD: 70gb(System) DVDROM: LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray/HDDVD OS: Win7 | NAS: 3-terabytes(RAID 5)
You can still use HDMI output with WASAPI. Its what I use for my setup so that volume is controllable by only my receiver. Sure, I have to keep my receiver remote handy, but that means I can just lay my keyboard down (I have a dinovo edge from logitech) while watching a flick or two.

I also have a harmony remote from Logitech that I've setup to use iMON with. I tend to just leave the volume alone on Windows, and control the volume only through the receiver. That makes it easy to map volume controls.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
I never understood why this wasn't implemented inside xbmc from day one, Frustrated the hell out of me, i had a "ball" (NOT!) trying to set up eventghost to work "perfect" dispite how easy they make it sound in the tutorials, it basically took a bit more then that, lol... I agree, xbmc should be XBMC, i absolutely loathe having to install additional software to control certain things just to get the experience the way i want... It's not exactly "out of the box" like a lot of people tend to say. Anyways, enough about that lol

By having volume in xbmc apply intself to only the "app" volume control basically means i have to leave my system volume up full 24/7... Which sometimes scares the shit out of me when i fresh reboot and windows makes it's BIG ENTRY NOISES!

Surely there is a way they could get this working as a standard option in xbmc? But who knows, i'm not a coder... So enlighten me, please.
loggio Wrote:I never understood why this wasn't implemented inside xbmc from day one, ...
By having volume in xbmc apply intself to only the "app" volume control basically means i have to leave my system volume up full 24/7... Which sometimes scares the shit out of me when i fresh reboot and windows makes it's BIG ENTRY NOISES!

Surely there is a way they could get this working as a standard option in xbmc? But who knows, i'm not a coder... So enlighten me, please.

There are remote controls that send APPCOMMAND messages when you press the voulme buttons, and these do change the system volume not the XBMC volume. The downside is that there is no way to change the XBMC volume.

As a user I would be very annoyed to have the volume buttons change the system volume as I went to some trouble to set the system volume just right for the beeps etc. As a developer I can see the case for allowing XBMC to change the system volume, though I'm not sure I feel sufficiently motivated to place this above the other stuff I'm looking at. I don't think many people would use it.

If anyone wants to submit a patch to do this then please do.

JR
I'm also after this feature, that is controlling Windows "master" volume instead of the XBMC app volume within XBMC whilst giving OSD feedback.

The reason for me wanting this is that I'm using the soundcard input for another source (MP3 player) and want to be able to control all volume (XBMC and MP3 player) with the same buttons on the remote.

Seeking an alternative way in the interim.
I am very interested in controling master volume instead of xbmc volume.. any solution found for this?
sireddie Wrote:I'm also after this feature, that is controlling Windows "master" volume instead of the XBMC app volume within XBMC whilst giving OSD feedback.

+1, in particular under win7
yes, i must say this is an issue with me also, just to add that using android xbmc application to control xbmc doesn't help either, it will be so usefull to control system volume instead of internal xbmc level now

can someone post this feature request in offcial xbmc bug/feature tracker?
Hi,
Did you found a solution to link xbmc volume osd with windows volume ?
I'm using "volume2" software which display a nice osd foreground to xbmc, but i can't use xbmc real full screen because when i use it, osd volume2 is flickering.

Thanks
up
Any solution to all this thread?

Damn, since 2009 no dev has inserted 3 lines of code in XBMC for doing that?
Oh yeah - count me as bumping +1 as well here....

Why is Volume handling so hard? Ever since WinMCE Harmony I have been struggling with this issue trying all sorts of workarounds like VolumeTracker, Event ghost and what have you not - recently I blew my Subwoofer because I forgot to turn down my Amplifier before starting a DVD on SPDIF :-( (And my GF got a heartattack - the cat also died.... well... not really)

I am finally switching after all of these years to XBMC as live-tv is getting some love... and I am just as happy as I hoped to be with the change... except that I am facing the same volume issues :-(
As i said, you can use volume2 to display a nice osd volume (master volume windows) and let xbmc volume to max, but volume2 doesn't support directx so if you use full screen, osd will flicker.You can fix that by using checking "simulate full screen" xbmc option.

But the issue you have with spdif is another kind of issue.
If your dvd audio track is an AC3 or DTS, the sound is sent to your amplifier but the windows volume as none effect on it.
If you want to be able to always control volume, you have to unchekc "support ACO and or DTS" in xbmc audio out settings, so i think that xbmc will decode your multicanal audio track.
Hi Nonob

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, that solution is not a real solution. I always prefer solutions, not workarounds ;-)

The problem with the Volume2 workaround (while it is nice, and I am using it for now) is that I control my XBMC with both an MCE remote (and Volume2 solves that problem then) but just as often, I am controlling from Yatse on an Android pad - and that is where that particular workaround falls short. The Yatse only controls XBMC volume, and not Master volume - so that kinda breaks that setup.

For now, I am avoiding using volume on the Yatse remote... but it's not really the proper experience, to have to go look for another remote to control volume, when you are already sitting with one in your hand ;-)

A proper solution should support all kinds of remotes. This is why an option inside XBMC to control whether it uses application volume or Master volume would be preferable.
+1 I am also keen to see the ability to adjust system volume rather than app volume from within xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few questions about the volume?0