Stuttering when playing home movie
I'm using XBMC on AppleTV and it all has worked perfectly (and still does) when I play movie files encoded from DVD's, However, when I try and play video's I've encoded from my own video camera (typically in AVI format) the files start stuttering after the first 2-3 seconds and then crash.

Any settings I should be tweaking? I really don't want to go back and re-encode all of these files as there are LOTS of them.

Thanks.
gallinson Wrote:I'm using XBMC on AppleTV and it all has worked perfectly (and still does) when I play movie files encoded from DVD's, However, when I try and play video's I've encoded from my own video camera (typically in AVI format) the files start stuttering after the first 2-3 seconds and then crash.

Any settings I should be tweaking? I really don't want to go back and re-encode all of these files as there are LOTS of them.

Thanks.

You should be using mediainfo to see the difference between what works and what does not.
Thanks for replying, but I'm pretty new to playing with these sorts of files. What's mediainfo? A programme or an option within XBMC.

Many thanks
OK - think I've managed to track down what was meant by MediaInfo and downloaded it and get some more info on some of the problem files.

This particular file won't work:
AVI 916MiB
1 Video Stream : Digital Video (Sony)
1 Audio Stream : PCM (Microsoft)
Video 28.8mbps 720x576 (5/4) at 25 fps
Audio 1024 kbps 32khz 2 channels

Whilst this one does:
AVI 1.09 MiB
1 Video Stream M-JPEG
1 Audio Stream PCM (Microsoft)

Video - 685kbps 320x240 (4/3) at 10fps M-JPEG
Audio - 64 kbps 8000Hz 1 channel

Actually, thinking about it the problem only seems to occur on videos shot via my Sony camcorder. However, once in AVI format surely this shouldn't matter?

Once again, any guidance much appreciated.
Any thoughts really appreciated!
gallinson Wrote:However, once in AVI format surely this shouldn't matter?
As many have said before (including me...)

AVI is NOT a "universal" format. It is a container that can hold loads of different video and audio codecs with loads of different options. Not all of the codecs or their options are playable by every device that can handle AVI files. Most likely it is the proprietary nature of the Sony format that is causing your problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering when playing home movie0