Plex Style Keymap.xml Adaptation
got a big favor to ask. i've reworked it a little more. basically i've changed the shutdown menu to a long button press as mentioned in one of the above posts and i've added rewind and fast forward as long button presses of the left and right buttons respectively. only thing is that rewind just will not work no matter what i do. i'm wondering if this is something to do with me being on a 'hackintosh' and using remote buddy and a media centre reciever rather than a genuine mac so could someone with a real mac please give it a shot and see if rewind's working and post back here. ideally i didn't want to keep posting endless updates and just post a fully finished keymap at the end of it but i could do with someone with a real mac helping me out here just incase it's my setup causing the problem.

many thanks,

marc

EDIT: Might actually help if i post a link!! http://uploading.com/files/T2HJHU6M/Keymap.xml.zip.html
Q6600, ASUS P5W, 6GB DDR2 and 2.5TB RAID running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and XBMC
xbox v1.0 (softmod) XBMC Dash
Yeah yeah very, I know Rolleyes also know you're very limited in buttons.
So be creative and make max. use of them.Big Grin

Edit: Example. Rofl

<Visualisation>
<button id="7">XBMC.RunScript(Q:\scripts\XBMC Lyrics\default.py)</button>
Nice work.

REWD (and FFWD for that matter) is always troublesome with most container types as it requires seeking to keyframes which don't come along very often, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work as well as you'd like. Seeking is much more useful - I presume left/right buttons already do this?

Perhaps you could detail what each of the buttons do in your current setup and we can go from there?

We definitely need a quick and easy way to stop the video playing - I'm not opposed to stop replacing return to UI in fullscreen video - we have resume, after all. We need to be consistent with music though, where stopping during a visualisation may not be the desired behaviour.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Jonathan,

thanks for taking an interest and looking in on what we're doing here. i'll update the first post in a bit with a detailed list of what each button does in the areas i have changed. i believe my problem with rewind may actually be a problem with the mapping of button 9 as i've tried not only rewind but big and small step back. none of them had any response. can anyone else confirm this?

regards,

marc
I am so happy someone is working on this. I still have not found the perfect Harmony remote solution in a keymap.xml with a working REW/FF.

The way I would like it to work would be the chapter skip buttons do the 15 minute skip back and forward. But the regular rew/ff buttons, tapping once goes to 2x FF, again to 4X FF, again to 8X FF, and so on. No keymap.xml I have found has been able to accomplish this yet.

This keymap may be made for the Apple Remote instead of a Harmony so maybe I am in the wrong thread. But no keymap I have yet found is getting me a working FF/REW the way I want.
Hey El Massman,

El Massman Wrote:Hi MaestroDD,
[...]in regards to the shutdown menu, i was considering changing it to a long button press. that would imply a uniformity between accessing that and the other menus. (the ones in the library etc) any thoughts on that? i know it's not really a major issue.

While I'm pretty used of left,click,click in PM3 because of ATV testing Smile, I like the idea of beeing able to enter shutdown/services menu with the remote.

El Massman Wrote:I've never really used this feature and to be honest, while i'm browsing the menu or library i don't like to be missing my video. BUT, i can see how someone who uses something like playlist maybe could need this to add extra videos while it's still running? I've got no problem with changing it round.

Hm, I use it on my main (linux) machine when browsing for a movie to watch: Click one, let it play, search for a better choice, and either choose a new one or go back to the already running. Maybe not a common case and especially I don't do that on my ATV. So I'd be fine to remove that functionality.

El Massman Wrote:The only issue i foresee there though would be that now there would need to be an extra button added in the menu to return to the video?
There's "Fullscreen"/play_hold for it.

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
BDPNA Wrote:I am so happy someone is working on this. I still have not found the perfect Harmony remote solution in a keymap.xml with a working REW/FF.

The way I would like it to work would be the chapter skip buttons do the 15 minute skip back and forward. But the regular rew/ff buttons, tapping once goes to 2x FF, again to 4X FF, again to 8X FF, and so on. No keymap.xml I have found has been able to accomplish this yet.

This keymap may be made for the Apple Remote instead of a Harmony so maybe I am in the wrong thread. But no keymap I have yet found is getting me a working FF/REW the way I want.

I don't actually have a harmony remote so i can't test this. I've uploaded a keymap here which SHOULD have the fast forward and rewind you wanted. Could you tell me what the chapter skip buttons are currently doing? Since there's nothing labeled chapter skip in the keymap I'm not entirely sure what needs changing. Let me know if the fast forward works and as soon as you get back to me i'll try sorting out the chapter skip for you.

Harmony Mod

Warning: This keymap is identical to the one in the first post except for changes to the harmony remote mapping. If you use both the harmony and apple remotes and are happy with the way the harmony remote currently works then please use the keymap in the first thread. Many thanks.

Regards,

Marc
Quote:There's "Fullscreen"/play_hold for it.

That's now being used for Info. But as you said you're cool with having stop rather than leaving the video playing it's not really an issue anymore anyway.

Regards,

Marc
Context menu is on Menu hold. Wonder if it's more use on Play hold or not - I tend to use it more than movie information - particularly with the information we have in the usual UI nowadays. I guess it's inconsistent with that button on fullscreen video though.

In that respect, pressing menu once for an OSD while playing menu, but treating it as "back" everywhere else is also inconsistent. One option is to map Menu to stop while in fullscreen, with play hold mapped to the OSD?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

El Massman,

Downloading this now and will try in a few. Up until this keymap, the chapter skip forward / back buttons were looking to do just that, an actual chapter skip for a DVD. Since I am mostly playing back AVI and MKV files in XBMC, they were just going to the end of the file and stopping when pressing skip forward, or back to the start (0:00) when I pressed chapter back.

FF and REW were skipping at 10 minute chunks at a time, and the left/right options on the Harmony's D-pad were jumping maybe around 30 seconds at a time.

I just missed my good 'ol variable FF/REW speeds. Trying this now. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
Yeah they're back! You rock!

I'm gonna play with this some more. Maybe I can have you add a few more features to it. This is the best keymap I have seen yet for Harmony. NICE WORK!!!
jmarshall Wrote:Context menu is on Menu hold. Wonder if it's more use on Play hold or not - I tend to use it more than movie information - particularly with the information we have in the usual UI nowadays. I guess it's inconsistent with that button on fullscreen video though.

In that respect, pressing menu once for an OSD while playing menu, but treating it as "back" everywhere else is also inconsistent. One option is to map Menu to stop while in fullscreen, with play hold mapped to the OSD?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

I'm still a little reluctant to take context menus away from the menu button. One of the major reasons i started to change this was that buttons had a label saying one thing but did something totally different. I'm a firm believer that if that's what the button says, that's what it should do in some capacity. Even if it's with a long press. With that, i've been using Aeon exclusively for a while now as have a lot of the community from what i can tell. While i don't really need it for TV I'm very keen on keeping the info button for movies as there's no plot based information while using coverflow at all.

On the other hand, I'm very much starting to agree with what you're saying about the video menu. If we're going to bring a sense of consistency throughout then menu should definitely be back. And since the OSD brings up play related features i think that would be a good choice for the OSD.

Does everything i've said sound fair? I'll start making the relevant changes in a little bit and put something up on the first post for everyone to have a play round with again. Hopefully we're getting a little closer to something everyone can get on with.

Regards,

Marc
BDPNA Wrote:Yeah they're back! You rock!

I'm gonna play with this some more. Maybe I can have you add a few more features to it. This is the best keymap I have seen yet for Harmony. NICE WORK!!!

Let me know what features you want and i'll sort it out for you. If you can let me know in the next half an hour or so before i've finished breakfast i'll post it up with the revised apple remote keymap.

Marc
Revised version's up on the first post.

P.S, would it be possible to change the thread title to something a little more suitable. when i first started i basically just planned to port over the plex controls and post it up for people to use if they wanted to use it. it's starting to branch away from that now so i don't think having plex in the title's really appropriate.

Many thanks,

Marc
El Massman Wrote:That's now being used for Info.

Uhm, think only during playback...
In the menus it's still mapped to Fullscreen

El Massman Wrote:But as you said you're cool with having stop rather than leaving the video playing it's not really an issue anymore anyway.

Think it's still needed to enter fullscreen audio vis..

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Style Keymap.xml Adaptation0