Plex Style Keymap.xml Adaptation
Lightbulb 
i tried for a while to create a keymap.xml in the style of plex but had no luck. unless i'm not understanding something properly the keymap.xml from my user folder does not work. anyways, in the end i just edited the keymap.xml inside the xbmc app and now have something which navigates through the video library and full screen videos in the same way as plex which i find slightly more logical.

i figured this may be of use to some of those users migrating from plex or just people in general.

Controls:

Full Screen Video:
Play/Pause - Pause
Play/Pause Hold - OSD
Menu - Stop
Up - Volume Up
Down - Volume Down
Left - Skip Back
Left Hold - Rewind (currently buggy)
Right - Skip Forward
Right Hold - Fast Forward

Home:
Play/Pause Hold - Fullscreen
Menu - Favourites
Menu Hold - Shutdown Menu
Directional - Navigate

Video Library/Files:
Play - Select
Play Hold - Information
Menu - Parent Directory
Menu Hold - Context Menu
Directional - Navigate

DVD Menu:
Play/Pause - Select
Play/Pause Hold - OSD
Menu - Stop
Directional - Navigate

Visualisation:
Play/Pause - Pause
Play/Pause Hold - OSD
Menu - Fullscreen
Menu Hold - Stop
Up - Volume Up
Down - Volume Down
Left - Previous Track
Left Hold - Rewind
Right - Next Track
Right Hold - Fast Forward

Slideshow:
Up - Zoom In
Down - Zoom Out
Left - Previous Picture
Right - Next Picture
Play Hold - Info
Menu - Stop/Exit

To use, download the following file and extract to your userdata folder. My userdata folder does not pick up any keymap placed there. If you're experiencing the same then extract to Applications/XBMC/Contents/Resources/XBMC/System/. Warning: The second method will require you to re-download and apply the keymap each time you upgrade XBMC.

Keymap.zip Please Right Click, Download Linked File As, Save as Keymap.xml and once downloaded remove the .html extension to avoid any problems.

A BIG thank you goes out to TheQuestor who's kindly offered to host the file over at http://www.sshcs.com

enjoy,

mass
Q6600, ASUS P5W, 6GB DDR2 and 2.5TB RAID running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and XBMC
xbox v1.0 (softmod) XBMC Dash
Thanks!

Mind commenting on the differences between the two?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for that keymap!

The only thing i'm missing is when pressing and holding the menu button on the apple remote while playing a movie, it should stop the movie and go back to the last menu.

It also seems that this keymap has broken the navigation when browsing a dvd menu. You can still navigate by left, right, up and down but when i press the play button to confirm the selection, it brings up the osd menu...

Anyone else to experience this?
well, since i mainly use xbmc for video that's all i've changed at the moment but i'm open to looking into it a little more if anyones interested. i actually found the handling for pictures better under xbmc in any case.

here's what i changed...

home:
pressing menu now brings up the context menu.

full screen video:
pressing play/pause plays and pauses. before it used to bring up the menu.
holding play/pause brings up info. i think it did nothing before.
pressing menu brings up the menu. used to return you to the library with the video still playing.
holding menu stops the video and returns you to the library. again, before i think it did nothing.

video library/files:
holding play/pause now brings up info.

updated: same full screen video controls added to dvd menu with the exception of play/pause which is used as select.

i think these are the only changes i made.

regards,

mass
bigbadrabbit Wrote:Thanks for that keymap!

The only thing i'm missing is when pressing and holding the menu button on the apple remote while playing a movie, it should stop the movie and go back to the last menu.

It also seems that this keymap has broken the navigation when browsing a dvd menu. You can still navigate by left, right, up and down but when i press the play button to confirm the selection, it brings up the osd menu...

Anyone else to experience this?

ah, i'll have a look into that. i've (finally) ripped all my dvds so i've never actually tried playing one in xbmc. they don't play well with plex and being a long time plex user you kind of forget that function's there. i can't say i'm having the not going back to the same menu issue as you though. is this on a dvd again? could you be a bit more specific please. i'll see if i can sort it out for you.

thanks,

mass
Thanks for your quick reply!

Well, i just found out the problem: Remote Buddy
With Remote Buddy enabled (and using the standard button configuration for XBMC) it causes the problems i mentioned in my previous posting.

Turning of Remote Buddy makes your keymap work like it should! Wink

The problem when navigating through a DVD menu still remains... Pressing PLAY brings up the OSD instead of selecting the selected menu item.

Maybe i just get rid of my full-DVD-rips... I really don't need them.

Thanks!
think i've sorted out your dvd problem. anything else comes up let me know and i'll do my best to hammer it out. updated link in the first post with the new keymap.

regards,

mass
Thanks again, mass!

Everthing works now as it's supposed to!
Please remember to update the online manual (wiki) if this gets implemented.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
sho Wrote:Please remember to update the online manual (wiki) if this gets implemented.

not a problem. is it likely to get implemented? has the keymapping for the OS X version been looked at in any great detail? i don't mean to offend anyone when i say this but there were definately a few areas where the way things were mapped seemed a little illogical. if it's not stepping on anyones toes i'll happily sit down and have a look through the whole thing rather than just the areas i use and see if i can come up with something that feels a little more right. if it's likely to be implimented i'd feel a bit better knowing i'd taken a proper look at it rather than the quick patch i've given you guys ATM. obviously i'm open to suggestions too. people who use certain areas more are going to know what would and wouldn't make things easier more than i would.

again, i'm very sorry if i'm criticising anyones work or if i'm being out of place.

regards,

mass
This is a community effort, the OS X devs are probably too engrossed in coding to ever use the product Smile

You seem to be familiar with this thread:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33056
Hi El Massman,

first of all, thanks for looking into and for sharing this!
I'm more than happy to apply changes if we find better defaults.

El Massman Wrote:[...]
here's what i changed...

home:
pressing menu now brings up the context menu.
Think it's the shutdown menu.
you added
<button id="8">Fullscreen</button>
IMHO we can drop this. Hold-Play (button 7) is used to get back into Fullscreen elsewhere.

El Massman Wrote:full screen video:
pressing play/pause plays and pauses. before it used to bring up the menu.
holding play/pause brings up info. i think it did nothing before.
pressing menu brings up the menu. used to return you to the library with the video still playing.
holding menu stops the video and returns you to the library. again, before i think it did nothing.

Am I right, that there's now no way to get out of a video and keep it running in the background?
What about bringing up the menu with Play_hold and keep menu to get out of the vid?

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
Hi MaestroDD,

Quote:Think it's the shutdown menu.
you added
<button id="8">Fullscreen</button>
IMHO we can drop this. Hold-Play (button 7) is used to get back into Fullscreen elsewhere.

sorry, that was just me playing around and trying to work out what everything does. i'm kind of new to this and i thought that was actually switch between full screen and windowed mode! no wonder it wasn't working for me. and yep, shutdown menu. sorry. and in regards to the shutdown menu, i was considering changing it to a long button press. that would imply a uniformity between accessing that and the other menus. (the ones in the library etc) any thoughts on that? i know it's not really a major issue.

Quote:Am I right, that there's now no way to get out of a video and keep it running in the background?

I've never really used this feature and to be honest, while i'm browsing the menu or library i don't like to be missing my video. BUT, i can see how someone who uses something like playlist maybe could need this to add extra videos while it's still running? I've got no problem with changing it round. The only issue i foresee there though would be that now there would need to be an extra button added in the menu to return to the video? after adding the info button, i don't think there's any spare. again, i personally prefer having the info button at quick disposal but if it's going to reduce functionality for everyone else then by all means i think it's a good idea to change it back.

Quote:What about bringing up the menu with Play_hold and keep menu to get out of the vid?

In my experience, sometimes i can knock the menu or play button by sitting or resting on the remote. That's why i would say it's better for me to have it the way it is at the moment. I find a menu popping up much less irritating than exiting to the library. I'd have to stick to my guns on that one and say leave it as it is. Not only that but for new users i think it's a good idea to have everything as self explanatory as possible. the play/pause button plays and pauses, the menu button brings up the menu etc...
MaestroDD Wrote:Am I right, that there's now no way to get out of a video and keep it running in the background?

No, you're wrong it is possible. Big Grin

Edit:
Nice El Massman that you look at it, don't run a AppleTV but do help people with customizing there keymap.xml. AppleTV needed some attention.Nod

You can never customize your keymap enough. Cool
You probably know it. but here some links that are verry usefull when customizing keymap. Rofl

Available actions
List of Built In Functions
Window IDs
SendClick([window,]controlID) isn't in the list of build in functions. (should be)
Very handy in some cases.
Quote:You probably know it. but here some links that are verry usefull when customizing keymap.

i actually know VERY little about it so thanks for sharing. much appreciated.

regards,

marc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Style Keymap.xml Adaptation0