Problem updating XBMC from svn
Hi guys

I'm having here a bit of a problem, that it had already made me format my media center a few times in a row.
Every time i issue the command
"sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev"
(librarys for compiling XBMC) for some reason that i don't know why... it goes and remove the installation of some xbmc components like : "xbmc, xbmc-common,xbmc-live,xbmc-standalone"... and few more.
Can someone please explain me how to prevent this.

Thanks
its easier to get the XBMC dependencies on your system using PPA packages. Below the relevant steps

follow these two steps from the page given below.
1) Adding the XBMC Repo
2) Adding PPA Keys

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step

follow the given step from page below
1) Installing required Ubuntu packages
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code

now you can go on compiling xbmc. Have fun.

an easier approach to install xbmc is by following the instruction from the first page I gave. If you want to compile the code yourself then the previous given instructions should do the trick.
Hi tmpdir

Thanks for your answer, but from your first link....is not what i'm after.....
I don't want to use PPA packages already precompiled.
For your second link, that was exactly what i did to download and compile XBMC... but before i can compile....(only the first time, after ubuntu installation) i have to issue the command :
"sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev"
because this are the librarys required for compiling XBMC (without this installed, i can't even pass the "configure" command).
But... like i stated before, when i run the above command line, it goes and remove the installation of some xbmc components like : "xbmc, xbmc-common,xbmc-live,xbmc-standalone"... and few more.
I do know how to install those again, but i just would like to know why are they removed.

Thanks again
freddy, the instruction I gave was to get the dependencies you are missing. Following these instructions does not give you XBMC itself. This way you get the same library files as when you would use your command. By the way your command is retreiving precompile packages to.

to make the picture complete the right apt-get action depends on you distro and the version in svn. The instructions I gave are more or less the instruction developer use to (not all of course Big Grin).

hope this makes it clear
You don't need all of those packages xbmc* packages installed if you want to compile from source.

If they're conflicting AND you still want them install the build deps, then reinstall the PPA.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem updating XBMC from svn0