[XBOX] Background loading textures?
Just wondering if the new texture loading code (http://xbmc.org/jmarshall/2009/05/12/som...d-loading/) is going to make it into xbox svn?

I ask as the new multiimage control has been implemented in Aeon-Auriga and basically makes the skin FUBAR on the xbox. No background images loading on the homescreen etc..

If this has been mentioned already, sorry, I just haven't been able to find anything on it.

Cheers.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
doubt it. way too memory intensive. whatever arnova decides ofc
spiff Wrote:doubt it. way too memory intensive. whatever arnova decides ofc

No problems, thought this might be the case.

Is it perhaps possible to add some compatibility to the skinning code so as the newer skins can still be used on the xbox, or is this up to the individual skinner?

who knows. i'd say it will probably be up to the skinners.

xbox is simply no concern of ours these days. this is the perfect example why; having to keep it compatible hurts the other platforms.
At least with Aeon you can revert back the changes made for background downloading (even though it's not officially supported for the Xbox).
spiff Wrote:who knows. i'd say it will probably be up to the skinners.

xbox is simply no concern of ours these days. this is the perfect example why; having to keep it compatible hurts the other platforms.

I do understand... the xbox has had a great run. I guess it's time to pick a skin and stick with it Wink

spiff Wrote:doubt it. way too memory intensive. whatever arnova decides ofc

according to jm's comments on his blog, memory usage shouldn't be an issue:
Quote:The background loading can be done on xbox, yes. In this case it’s unlikely to affect memory consumption - if anything, for short periods of time (2 seconds after transistions) it might use more.

as a sidenode, the latest T3CH build (2009-05-21) does support the new background loading code.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:according to jm's comments on his blog, memory usage shouldn't be an issue:

as a sidenode, the latest T3CH build (2009-05-21) does support the new background loading code.

If that's the case then it's not working as i have tried that revision and a few from the nightly builds and none of them seem to support it. dam shameSad
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
WAY to rip information out of its context roonie. well done.

as jmarshall points out, it will use MORE memory during transitions. having to keep another texture + its decode buffers in memory during transitions will/can surely be the big bad for the xbox, in particular in high resolutions.

believe it or not, i'm not entirely clueless and i wouldn't put that unless i actually knew what this involves! oh, and for the record; the context i'm refering to is that is jmarshall's answer to the question 'will background loading lower the memory usage on xbox'.

that being said, i was obviously wrong on the port status of the code. guess arnova chose to add it
spiff Wrote:WAY to rip information out of its context roonie. well done.

you're welcome.
it wasn't my intention to offend anyone, so let's kiss and make up, shall we? ;-)
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:you're welcome.
it wasn't my intention to offend anyone, so let's kiss and make up, shall we? ;-)
PukeLaugh
paul Wrote:PukeLaugh

Have you tried Transparency! on the xbox? It also uses the new background loading features and from the feedback i'm getting it seems to be running pretty smooth on the xbox.
ronie Wrote:Have you tried Transparency! on the xbox? It also uses the new background loading features and from the feedback i'm getting it seems to be running pretty smooth on the xbox.

It does run well though i did nearly all textures down by 50% i do this with all skins not intended for xbox and it usually does the trick though i have not had much time to do much tweaking appart from changing the dvd and music frames and a few other minor changes.
But i intend on doing more work to it later so i can add it to my list of xbox friendly skins for other xbox users to enjoy as it's the best pm3hd mod even better than the original, In mu humble oppinionSmile
MiniMeedia uses background loading for the fanart and custom background images and seems to work fine on the xbox.
Follow development of MediaStream, MiniMeedia and other skins on Twitter (@skunkm0nkee)
skunkm0nkee Wrote:MiniMeedia uses background loading for the fanart and custom background images and seems to work fine on the xbox.
I had not realised it uses multiimage background loading but your right it does work well on xbox so why in hell does it not work at all for auriga on xbox. maybe his code is not as good as yours. were just going to have to put up with patching up the skin untill we get support for us peasants with xbox's. and i think they should change the name from XBMC to L.O.W.Mediacentre (linux.Osx.Windows)Oo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Background loading textures?0