No sound in Ubuntu 8.10 w/ latest xbmc
I have a weird problem that seems to have developed all by itself.
I have no sound in xbmc, but if I press CTRL-ALT-F1 to go to the command line screen I can hear the sound! I then press CTRL-ALT-F7 to go back to xbmc and the sound cuts off. Any ideas? My audio output in xbmc is set to "Analog" and Audio Output Device is set to "default".
Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 1: ATI IXP IEC958 [ATI IXP IEC958 (AC97)]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Code:
aplay -L
default:CARD=IXP
    ATI IXP, ATI IXP AC97
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=IXP,DEV=0
    ATI IXP, ATI IXP AC97
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=IXP,DEV=0
    ATI IXP, ATI IXP AC97
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=IXP,DEV=0
    ATI IXP, ATI IXP AC97
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=IXP,DEV=0
    ATI IXP, ATI IXP AC97
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=IXP,DEV=0
    ATI IXP, ATI IXP AC97
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
http://pastebin.com/m5379e2a7
A log for one session. I'm running 9.04.2+svn20937-intrepid1
Does anyone have any advice to offer?
Today I tried a complete reinstall of ubuntu (32bit x86) and install of xbmc from ppa. Exactly the same thing is happening, no sound when showing the xbmc graphical screens on CTRL-ALT-F7, but switch to any text-mode tty, eg CTRL-ALT-F1, CTRL-ALT-F2 etc i hear the sound that xbmc is playing, without even logging in.
It is driving me mad!
I could be wrong... but if it's working on tty it would indicate to me something in your window manager setup. Have you enabled all options/settings in the mixer to see what's there? What type of audio are you trying for - straight out to speakers or out via optical or hdmi...?

Ta,
~G
It seems to be all of gnome which is affected too, so I'll swing on by the ubuntu forums and see if anyone has any ideas. I had been doing a minimal install with X and xbmc only, but an install of the full desktop produced the same results.
Right, it was nothing to do with xbmc. It turns out it was the Nvidia drivers. I have my TV connected to my pc via a DVI to HDMI cable, and the TV was telling the nividia driver that was capable of audio over HDMI. Obviously DVI does not do this, and I had my soundcard analog output hooked up to the audio in on the TV. I found out how to sort this out here
this problem appears to be a problem that is not addressed. There are so many posts on it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound in Ubuntu 8.10 w/ latest xbmc0