I still don't quite get the refresh rate thing and the adjust feature
I was doing some testing and I have the "Adjust Refresh Rate" option disabled and the new "Sync Playback to Display" option is also disabled.

My TV is set at [email protected] and XBMC reports these same values in the log file. However, when I play a video file in 24fps or 23.978fps and then I press 'O' on the keyboard to bring up video information, the playback fps is around 24/23.

Shouldn't it be around 50 since that's the refresh rate of my TV and I have not enabled the "Adjust Refresh Rate" option?
its the rate frames are presented at. not the refresh rate of your resolution. it matching the video fps is a good thing!
But isn't that what the "adjust refresh rate" option is for? To "match the video fps"?

What I'm missing here?
You're not looking at the refreshrate.

Pause the movie and then check the fps.
bobo1on1 Wrote:You're not looking at the refreshrate.

Pause the movie and then check the fps.
It goes back to 50fps when pause... But it remains at the video framerate if the "adjust refresh rate" option is enabled.

So, what does this all mean?
I think I understand this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

What you are seeing is that XBMC is spitting out frames are the normal rate as determined by the video file. If the file says "24fps" then XBMC spits out 24 frames every second. At this point it is your system's responsibility to translate those 24 frames it receives in a second to the 50 frames that it is sending to your display.

If you were to select "Adjust Refresh Rate" XBMC would go tell your system, "Hey, you need to switch to 24fps now" and you would be sending 24 frames every second to your display.

Hopefully I'm not too far off on this, but as I said, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Nazgulled Wrote:It goes back to 50fps when pause... But it remains at the video framerate if the "adjust refresh rate" option is enabled.

So, what does this all mean?

It means you're playing a 24 fps video and XBMC is telling you it's playing it at 24 fps.
david81: is just about right.. apart from that "Adjust Refresh Rate" will just choose the best refreshrate your display can handle. Most can't handle odd rates like 24/30 and so on.

Sync Playback to Display is just a different method of output frames. It tries to be intellegent about when xbmc output's the frame to avoid as much stutter as possible. It also allows video to controll A/V sync instead of audio which is the normal case.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I think I get it now...

My TV does handle refresh rates like 23Hz, 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz... It's just that I was experimenting all these settings and I can't really notice any difference with them turned on or off. The only thing I experience with the "adjust refresh rate" option enabled is out of sync audio as discussed here and on this trac.

Thank you all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I still don't quite get the refresh rate thing and the adjust feature0