Get DVD-Video disc DVDid and then scrape metadata info and artwork online for it?
Lightbulb 
Is there a way to get the dvd disc title or any other metadata, since this
Code:
System.DVDLabel
is not getting anything maybe only works in Xbox.

maybe something like this app. can be port in xbmc

more info
more info
more info
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
Does TheMovieDB.org (TMDb), IMDb.com (IMDb), or any other online movie database list DVDid? Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Does TheMovieDB.org (TMDb), IMDb.com (IMDb), or any other online movie database list DVDid? Huh

TheMovieDB and IMDb doesn't support it yet as far as I know, but DVDxml.com have an API here.

That could work and would be great see the same mods under movies and tv shows library on any DVD-Video disc inserted in XBMC.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
dvdxml is charging $20 for a user account plus their data is obtained in an illegal way I'm told, so it's probably not the best way to go.

MyMovies.dk on the other hand has these dvdid's in the data base and they are obtained in a legal way since all the data is user submitted.
You could talk to Brian from MyMovies about gaining access to their powerful webservice. MyMovies users who have 2500 contribution/donation points already have free access. Non contributing users could probably get past by donating $20.
MyMovies.dk is also WAY faster than for example themoviedb.org (because money coming in is used on fast servers and internet access) and the database is very complete including dvd covers, hddvd/bluray covers, posters and backdrops.
I was just bring in the idea because am not on that level of programming at all I mean writing a service or a plugin/addon to do this..

So it would be better if someone with more knowledge talk with Brian to make this happen and be able to use that service .
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
Lightbulb 
ultrabrutal Wrote:MyMovies.dk on the other hand has these dvdid's in the data base and they are obtained in a legal way since all the data is user submitted.

You could talk to Brian from MyMovies about gaining access to their powerful webservice.
You should then IMHO instead request the MyMovies authors/admins to submit (donate/contribute) this DVDid metadata information to TheMovieDB.org (TMDb) for movies, and to TheTVDB.com for TV Shows.

Both these two sites are community driven and used both practically all open source media center and media manager software, as well as quite a few commercial media center and media manager software as well.

It would be much better for all if this information was collected in one or two places that share this data for free through an on API for open source applications, such as TheMovieDB.org and TheTVDB.com does.
Gamester17 Wrote:You should then IMHO instead request the MyMovies authors/admins to submit (donate/contribute) this DVDid metadata information to TheMovieDB.org (TMDb) for movies, and to TheTVDB.com for TV Shows.

Both these two sites are community driven and used both practically all open source media center and media manager software, as well as quite a few commercial media center and media manager software as well.

It would be much better for all if this information was collected in one or two places that share this data for free through an on API for open source applications, such as TheMovieDB.org and TheTVDB.com does.

Indeed..!

I know that these functions can be overlook since almost nobody use discs anymore, I notice because the other day i insert a dvd movie and it just show the word "DVD" no even the dvd label that have the name in it, but it would be a great addition to xbmc.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
Gamester, MyMovies is community driven also? Perhaps a scraper for it will turn up. Wink
I coded the reading of mymovies.xml files but they are only stored if you use the mymovies client and/or server. If data is needed without a pc/server, then the webservice could be opened and used from a "scraper".
When you have a server you really don't want to use a scraper but rather just have the server do the id of the media and download the metadata correctly and without your intervention. Mymovies uses the discid from Windows to figure out which media is inserted. It can even rip movies to disk automaticly (if anydvd is installed).
A WHS is great since mymovies has a version for it, if anyone is looking for a NAS. I exchanged my 2 NAS'es with a HP MediaSmart WHS.

I sound like a commercial lol. Better stop now
oh any by the way, there is a difference between a movie (themoviesdb.org, imdb etc) and a movie release (dvd, dvd special edition, hd-dvd, blu-ray, etc). MyMovies has data for the latter...
ultrabrutal Wrote:Gamester, MyMovies is community driven also? Perhaps a scraper for it will turn up. Wink
I coded the reading of mymovies.xml files but they are only stored if you use the mymovies client and/or server. If data is needed without a pc/server, then the webservice could be opened and used from a "scraper".
When you have a server you really don't want to use a scraper but rather just have the server do the id of the media and download the metadata correctly and without your intervention. Mymovies uses the discid from Windows to figure out which media is inserted. It can even rip movies to disk automaticly (if anydvd is installed).
A WHS is great since mymovies has a version for it, if anyone is looking for a NAS. I exchanged my 2 NAS'es with a HP MediaSmart WHS.

I sound like a commercial lol. Better stop now

I was using My Movies in my WHS back then when I use VMC, but I change to XBMC but my media still in WHS.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
What would be the best method to approach this python plugin, script, add-on, built-in function, ect.. ?
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven, why did you stop using MyMovies then? I use MyMovies on WHS with XBMC because I coded support in XBMC to read mymovies.xml files and MyMovies has now even real support for XBMC NFO files... So it works for both existing collections and new ones. I have seen no scraper match the correctness and speed of MyMovies plus you even have the PC application to fix any mistakes
dvdid is available on Windows OS. How to do it is a secret so you need to reverse engineer MS' code to be able to implement it in Linux etc. However I know how to obtained already reverse engineered code but it cannot be used without permission
ultrabrutal Wrote:dvdid is available on Windows OS. How to do it is a secret so you need to reverse engineer MS' code to be able to implement it in Linux etc. However I know how to obtained already reverse engineered code but it cannot be used without permission

but that code isn't in C# ?

Quote:reaven, why did you stop using MyMovies then? I use MyMovies on WHS with XBMC because I coded support in XBMC to read mymovies.xml files and MyMovies has now even real support for XBMC NFO files... So it works for both existing collections and new ones. I have seen no scraper match the correctness and speed of MyMovies plus you even have the PC application to fix any mistakes

laziness maybe, the change was not like that before I use XBMC my WHS broke on me and I has to rebuild my whole library I lost half of my music collection and all my tv shows library at that time I didn't find the time to install all the necessary again and then I switch to XBMC.

I even forget many things about MyMovies like the only thing I need to make it work with XBMC is My Movies for WHS and a client, which one, client only or client server ?
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven, nope c/c++

mymovies, well you install whs version or server or client. make it point to your collection(s), setup any additional file extensions. iso's and folders of dvd's and bluerays are identified automaticly and correctly based on the dvdid. for other movies it looks for imdb id in nfo file, uses the foldername etc.
I think less than 5 out of my 450 movies were identified incorrectly - much better than when I used IMDB scraper Smile
Give it a go again. I can highly recommend it!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get DVD-Video disc DVDid and then scrape metadata info and artwork online for it?1