[MAC] Increase the buffer/cache size for network streaming?
Hello!

I installed XBMC on my mac and its working fantastic!
To stream 720p content i need to increase the buffersize so it dont start/stop for buggering.

I remember this was possible on my good "old" xbox.

Can someone point me what to change? Is there a config file? Or can i find this in the GUI ?

Thank you very much!

Regards
Espen
How is your network. 720 shoul dtravel fine over wireless N, or ethernet 100. If you are streaming to an appletv its not the buffer its the AppleTV.

If you have wireless N or 100-1000 ethernet then I would suggest your issue is not with the buffer.

AFAIK there is no setting for buffer size.
garyi Wrote:How is your network. 720 shoul dtravel fine over wireless N, or ethernet 100. If you are streaming to an appletv its not the buffer its the AppleTV.

If you have wireless N or 100-1000 ethernet then I would suggest your issue is not with the buffer.

AFAIK there is no setting for buffer size.

I am having exactly the same problem. Works nice over LAN line, but stutters over WLAN. I dont have N, but only G network. Was also hoping that buffer could help. Anyone else experience with this?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
If it cannot stream a section quick enough I don't see how a buffer can help. If you buffered say 40 megs of the file and start playing, if the network cannot cope eventually your playing section will catch up to the buffer and you are back to square one.

Perhaps the long and short is high bitrate movies are best streamed wired or on wireless N.
garyi Wrote:If it cannot stream a section quick enough I don't see how a buffer can help. If you buffered say 40 megs of the file and start playing, if the network cannot cope eventually your playing section will catch up to the buffer and you are back to square one.

The situation is that most of the time, the bandwidth is sufficient and the movie is streaming great. From time to time, there is less bandwidth to the "normal" instability of a wireless network. So, some buffer might solve it. Thought that the "old" Xbmc versions had a buffer. Was that the same as a buffer and does this still exist?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I have the exact same problem - I was trying to see a 1080p movie through wireless (G) network. The first time it buffered every 30 seconds.

After a restart and some time, it played without a hazzle.

But You say that wireless N should do the trick (it has to because I'm not able to use wired lan...)?

Best regards
Just chiming in with the desire to increase buffer size. To comment on the "no matter how big the buffer is, it couldn't keep up" response; I *personally* don't mind clicking a movie, wandering off for up to an hour and coming back to have my movie all buffered up and ready to go without interruptions.

The default 10~30 second buffer seems incredibly low, and I can imagine that there must be some way to increase it. It even stops buffering after its gotten more than 10~30seconds when paused.

I've taken to actually downloading my larger movies to my desktop and just playing them in quicktime. Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the buffer size?
If you happy to buffer an entire movie then logic dictates to just copy the movie to where ever xbmc is an play it locally.

Honestly for the sake of what 40 quid now you can get a really good wireless N point and these problems will most likely go away.
garyi Wrote:If it cannot stream a section quick enough I don't see how a buffer can help.

sometime it can happens that the data flow is not costant. It happens to me often with my time capsule.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Increase the buffer/cache size for network streaming?0