Scanning without actually seeing the media files?
Total noob to XBMC here. I'm trying to switch off of XLobby as my Windows front-end and XBMC looks beautiful, but I'm having trouble getting content scanning to work with my particular and peculiar setup.

My DVDs span several drives on several servers, and they're all ripped as directories, not as ISOs. I then use DFS on a Windows server to aggregate all the directories into a single place. My front ends (which are all Windows) then just looks at \\server\DVD and sees everything, and when they try to access on of the folders, DFS redirects them. This works like a champ, since I can scan the entire \\server\DVD directory without spinning up any of the drivers that the actual media files are on.

So here's what I'm trying to figure out: Is there any way for me to tell XBMC, "I assure you there is a file at \\server\DVD\Moviename\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO, please don't look there and instead use \\server\DVD\Moviename.nfo to get all the information you need"? From my experimentation, it looks like the .nfo file has to be stored next to the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, which is going to mean that updating my database will require me to spin up every drive that contains media, which is gnarly and slow. Or is there some other method that would work better for this particular situation?

One obvious solution to this problem is to build my own database import XML and just use that, but that behaves poorly if someone hits 'reload' on a movie info page.

Any tips or tricks I can use here?
Anyone?
You need to store the .nfo file as "VIDEO_TS.nfo" along your "VIDEO_TS.IFO". There's currently no way to scan without actually seeing the media files (as we only scan if there's a media file found).
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
To get this to (more or less) work, I built from source with some changes to the video database import path to stop looking for local trailers, thumbnails, and fanart, and then did a database import. Seems to work reasonably well for now.
Mind sharing it?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
It's a pretty ugly hack done with utter disregard for how anyone other than myself would use the program, and I've done minimal testing on it beyond verifying that I can do a database import without waking up every drive in my array and that things seem to more or less work afterwards. If you want it, I can share it.

I was thinking about doing a cleaner fix that would put a new setting into advancedsettings.xml to avoid looking at the source file as much as possible, as I suspect I'm going to find more places in the code that go looking for thumbnails and fanart and stream info and what have you as I continue using the system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Scanning without actually seeing the media files?0