4% Framerate Decrease Adjustment
hello.

i posted this feature request at sourceforge and am cross-posting it here:

--
i live in the us and enjoy buying foreign dvds.  i have many dvds with framerates that were mastered incorrectly and it would be nice to be able to correct this.

what i'm requesting is a "4% framerate decrease" option.  what happens with many hong kong dvds is that the original source for the dvd was mastered at a pal speed of 25 frames per second.  if this is done to a movie shot on film at 23.976 frames per second, it causes the movie to run slightly faster and for the pitch of the audio to be slightly higher.  kind of a "chimpmunk" effect.  many of these companies take this pal source and convert it and then master the dvd at 29.97 fps, but they don't step the framerate down to 23.976 fps first, so the speed of playback and audio pitch is still too fast.

the "adjust framerate" option in xbmc allows 25 fps pal to be correctly played at 23.976 fps, but if the pal source has been incorrectly mastered at 29.97 fps, there is no way to convert it.

implementing a "4% framerate decrease" option would correct this problem and also address the problem that people using pal systems have if they would like to display a 25 fps pal source at the correct 23.976 fps speed on a pal60 compatible monitor.

thank you for your time.
--

any comments?
the only comment i have is playback at 96% of 29.97 fps will not look particularly smooth.

remember, the output device is hardcoded with a refresh rate. it's best to stick to multiples of this if at all possible.

btw: sped up to 25fps, encoded as 29.97fps mustn't look too flash - do they interlace everything orHuh

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hello.

thanks for replying to this and my other post, jmarshall!

yeah, i know that the framerate decrease would probably cause the playback to be jerky, but i would still prefer that to the slightly sped-up pitched effect.

as far as interlacing goes, now that you mention it, it seems like these poor masters are always interlaced too. examples that come to mind are the hong kong dvd of the twin peaks pilot and all of the hong kong shaw brothers remasters.

is there any possibility we'll see this feature in a future build? it seems to me that this should not be a feature that could be accidentally left on all the time. maybe putting a selectable option somewhere in the osd during playback is best. this would change the playback speed for that video only and then default back to normal playback once the video is over. unless the video is part of a stacked set, of course, in which case it would default back at the end of the last video in the stacked set. or if the user presses stop...

like you say, too many features!
hehe - welcome to the joy of deciding which features are worth implementing Smile

i do plan on overhauling the my videos section at some stage in the future (likely at least a month away) to better handle the custom cases like this one.

if it is done, it'll be handled by the video database.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hello.

thanks for considering adding this feature! i'll look forward to it! now, if we could just get the mplayer guys to come out with a better de-interlace filter...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4% Framerate Decrease Adjustment0