Song ratings are not saved
Hello,

I use my remote control to rate the songs I listen to, for example I give a song 4 of 5 stars in fullscreen mode. Unfortunately, when I change the song, and skip back to the song I rated, my ratings are gone.

My songs are on a SMB share, I have read and write access to them. I'd prefer XBMC to save the rating directly in the source MP3-file, so other programs I use also get the rating, like Mediamonkey.

But my ratings are not saved at all. Is there a trick to do that?
Scan 'em in to the library first.

And XBMC doesn't write tags - it only reads them.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Scan 'em in to the library first.

And XBMC doesn't write tags - it only reads them.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Is there a way to make XBMC write tags, like for example Mediamonkey does? I want to use the ratings for example to synchronize the files I like with my MP3 Player later, a rating function that cannot write to files (at least optionally) is worthless to me.
*bump*

Is there a way to make XBMC write the rating to the files? Or export them somehow?

So far I have rated many Songs when listening to them in XBMC. Now I see that these Ratings are not saved in the files. Sad
Smile 
I save a Songs from a Smart Playlist to a real, fixed Playlist. This way I can easily rate the songs with another Player.

This way I can save my dozens of ratings done in XBMC. :-)
I've been searching the threads for a solve to this. Just wondering if anyone has any new info on this since these posts. It would be great if XBMC could save the rating in the MP3 file itself. I have the same setup as Jackie78. I rated 500+ songs using XBMC over the last few months, and then my library seems to have been reset/lost after a recent upgrade. I had to rescan all of my music to the library, and when I did I lost all of my ratings. After learning this lesson the hard way I've decided to save the ratings in the files themselves. Besides, I too want to reference these ratings in other applications/devices. It would be great if there was some kind of automated script that could do this. Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure XBMC will never make changes to files. People would complain about XBMC making changes that they didn't want.

I have an external hard drive connected to my Revo, and I use MediaMonkey on my laptop to rate my songs through the network tab. At the end of the day, I update the music library and the changes I made are now shown in XBMC. This is probably the best solution for now.
tensaidavis Wrote:I'm pretty sure XBMC will never make changes to files. People would complain about XBMC making changes that they didn't want.

I have an external hard drive connected to my Revo, and I use MediaMonkey on my laptop to rate my songs through the network tab. At the end of the day, I update the music library and the changes I made are now shown in XBMC. This is probably the best solution for now.

I can't see why this couldn't this be an option that people could just turn on or off? It's obvious from this thread that at least some people would see value in such an option. My music is stored on my NAS. I primarily listen to it using XBMC, which is where I do most of my rating. I don't want to have to use a separate application to do this. It's surprising that someone hasn't developed an add-on script to do this.
bump?
Since the Song rating can be entered manually from within XBMC (not only from reading ID3 tags), it is stored in the music database. When exporting it should be a xml tag within the album.nfo file within each song listed in the file.

Example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<album>
<title>Harvest Moon</title>
<artist>Neil Young</artist>
<genre>Rock</genre>
<rating>6</rating> # note this is the album rating which is scrapped
<year>1992</year>
<track>
<title>Unknown Legend</title>
<position>1</position>
<duration>04:32</duration>
<rating>x</rating> # This xml tag is NOT exported which I think Should be
</track>
I'm still in search of a solution. If anyone has any new info on this please post it. I'd be happy if I could just export the song rating as buddiemac is suggesting. This seems like it should be a no-brainer to me.
Add me to the list of people who'd like this feature. Just having it in the export data would be great.
Add me as well. I was just looking through keyboard.xml and noticed I could rate songs using the up and down buttons on my remote. I got excited, came here, read this post, got disappointed. I always like to have everything saved with my files, just in case. Since Frodo, I noticed TagLib is being used, so maybe something could be done? ....I haven't tested it yet, maybe it works already....
I could use another media player to rate songs and ensure that the ratings are written to the tags, but after getting so accustomed to using xbmc I hate having to use other media players. I would be ecstatic if someone figured out a solution to come up with a simple way to write the tags to the files, be it an add-on or an advanced setting. There is another thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139842 with people asking for the same thing. I understand that people have concerns with xbmc writing tags to their music files and that there isn't a uniform system for music rating. But it seems that xbmc has been developed to read the more popular systems for song ratings, so I would think that whatever ratings xbmc reads would be a good place to start as far as what it writes, at least as far as what options could be given anyway. Thanks for anyone willing to take this on!

Edit:
Here is another thread on the same topic, but for linux specifically. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104387 hirschma gives a bash script for linux to export song ratings from the xbmc database to flac files. I could use something along those lines but for windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Song ratings are not saved0