[LIVE] Help, my XBMC Live install falls back to BusyBox
Hello everyone.

I'm having difficulty getting my XBMCLive box up and running. I'm hoping someone can walk me through this issues I'm having. My hardware is listed in my sig.

I installed XBMC from the LiveCD to my SSD HD. There were no error messages. Everything appeared to go fine. The machine restarted and it won't boot fully. I get the following message:

Code:
Starting up ...
Loading, please wait...
Gave up waiting for root device/  Common problems:
-Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
  - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
  - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/91360775-c5bf-41c8-8562-c1c515fc2a78 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands/

(initramfs)

I did a search of the Linux support forum and only found the following thread. It didn't seem to apply to my situation, but I could be mistaken.

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...oot+device

I've gotten the box working with a standard platter drive, but I have yet to get my SSD to boot into XBMC. The drive is definately not bad as it just came back from OCZ after getting checked out.

I hope someone can help me out.
Case: Moneual LAB MonCaso 312B | MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H | PSU: Enermax Modu82+ | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | RAM: Kingston KVR800D2N6/1G x 2 (total 2 gigs) | HDD: OCZ Vertex OCZSSD2-1VTX30G | DVD: LG 22X DVD +/- R DVD burner
-----------------------------------------
"...Be water my friend" ~Bruce Lee
RMD78 Wrote:The drive is definately not bad as it just came back from OCZ after getting checked out.

sorry, but from my experience with OCZ and their (early generation) drives: it "definately" might be bad!

try a ubuntu server minimal installation and see if that will boot
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:sorry, but from my experience with OCZ and their (early generation) drives: it "definately" might be bad!

try a ubuntu server minimal installation and see if that will boot

What do you mean by bad? Poor support for Linux or it's broken?

I don't think it was the latter because they were able to install Windows7 on the drive before they sent it back. I'd like to think it's an install issue.

Thanks for the reply.
Case: Moneual LAB MonCaso 312B | MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H | PSU: Enermax Modu82+ | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | RAM: Kingston KVR800D2N6/1G x 2 (total 2 gigs) | HDD: OCZ Vertex OCZSSD2-1VTX30G | DVD: LG 22X DVD +/- R DVD burner
well, the problem is that the bootloader can't find the root device, which is a really serious error. I don't think that this error is specific to the XBMC live install, so we'd need you to check out if a more general Ubuntu minimal installation will go through without errors. in case it does, you have the advantage of setting up XBMC via the XBMCbuntu guide, which gives you far more options to update and change the system compared to the live install. also, we'd have to check the installation procedure of the Live CD with SSD drives in general or the vertex in specific.
if it also doesn't work, we at least know that something's wrong with your hardware.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
When is use cat /proc/cmdline I get the following:

Code:
root=UUID=91360775-c5bf-41c8-8562-c1c515fc2a78 quiet splach xbmc=nodiskmount,tempfs,setvolume,noredir loglevel=0

Can someone help me dicepher this?

Thanks.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:well, the problem is that the bootloader can't find the root device, which is a really serious error. I don't think that this error is specific to the XBMC live install, so we'd need you to check out if a more general Ubuntu minimal installation will go through without errors. in case it does, you have the advantage of setting up XBMC via the XBMCbuntu guide, which gives you far more options to update and change the system compared to the live install. also, we'd have to check the installation procedure of the Live CD with SSD drives in general or the vertex in specific.
if it also doesn't work, we at least know that something's wrong with your hardware.

I have a LiveCD of Jaunty. Can I give that a go or what? Should I do something to make sure it's a minimal install or just install the whole thing?

Thanks.
your /proc/cmdline has a "splach" in it. WTF is a "splach"? it should be "splash"...

you sure can use this ubuntu jaunty live CD to try and install it to your SSD. we just want to make sure that it isn't your hardware that's borked, so any linux installation will do.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:your /proc/cmdline has a "splach" in it. WTF is a "splach"? it should be "splash"...

you sure can use this ubuntu jaunty live CD to try and install it to your SSD. we just want to make sure that it isn't your hardware that's borked, so any linux installation will do.

Alright, when I try to install Jaunty it makes it to step 4 of 7 where Linux is preparing the partitions. Nothing shows up in the screen. When I hit "Next" I get the error message "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the paritioning menu."

This isn't looking good is it?
it definitely looks like your vertex drive is screwed up, no matter if OCZ managed to install win7. you could try to (re-) flash a new firmware to the drive, change the BIOS settings (native SATA/IDE) or even flash to a newer BIOS revision, but my best guess would be that the drive is still faulty.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:it definitely looks like your vertex drive is screwed up, no matter if OCZ managed to install win7. you could try to (re-) flash a new firmware to the drive, change the BIOS settings (native SATA/IDE) or even flash to a newer BIOS revision, but my best guess would be that the drive is still faulty.

The drive was flashed by OCZ. While the drive was out, I updated my MoBo BIOS. It is currently set to navtive SATA/IDE. When booting, the BIOS recognizes the drive. I did have the machine up and running with a 100G 2.5" laptop drive. This is totally bogus. Is there anything else I can do to see what's up with the drive?

Thanks.
quite easy: try to install XBMC live on the 100GB laptop drive, it'll work. your vertex has a serious problem that maybe "only" is affecting linux installation

there's also a *similar* thread on the OCZ forums http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/...hp?t=57505

again, your vertex drive is behaving bad. I dunno if it's a problem with the indilinx firmware or the partition table, but something's definitely wrong here.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:quite easy: try to install XBMC live on the 100GB laptop drive, it'll work. your vertex has a serious problem that maybe "only" is affecting linux installation

there's also a *similar* thread on the OCZ forums http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/...hp?t=57505

again, your vertex drive is behaving bad. I dunno if it's a problem with the indilinx firmware or the partition table, but something's definitely wrong here.

I have the same problem he has. It works fine under Archlinux and under Windows though, so I think there's nothing wrong with the drive. I think it's the combination of the GF9400 and the SSD drive, that Ubuntu doesn't handle well. (I've also seen other SSD's from other brands with the same problem)
so it may be the combination of the nvidia SATA/IDE controller and the SSD chipset/firmware that's somehow preventing ubuntu from booting? well that's a bummer...
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I'm having the same issue ... attempting to boot the XBMC live CD on an ASRock 330 from USB dongle. I did install Windows 7 first, then Ubuntu, then Windows 7 again (ffs shouldn't have done that) . I'm simply trying to re-initialize grub ... but everything is against me today ... or so it seems.

Now I do get the same "Gave up waiting for root device" error.
cat /proc/cmdline gives:
initrd=/ubninit BOOT_IMAGE=/ubnkern

I'm followed the http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=49781 guide. But I'm unable to boot the USB disk in 'safe' mode.

edit:
Turns out it did work with the Ubuntu 9.10 install disc. So it's not the disk Smile
Anyone stumble upon a fix for this? I'm getting the error with the final 9.11 Live installation. I used the repack released today. I don't know my next step.

Installed onto a 4GB Kingston USB stick

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Help, my XBMC Live install falls back to BusyBox0