Remote control need extra keys?
when using the ATV remote there are to few keys to access all of the features that were available on the xbox DVD remote. Like resizing the screen,rotating pictures, 'info' key and 'Title' key to mention a few.
I understand the ATV has a learning feature, can it learn the Xbox dvd remote?

I appreciate any help out there.
Search is your friend:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48056

Mods:
Any chance of getting the above thread stickied to cut down on the number of people asking the same question?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
I will check it out, thanks.
@ aedile, Yes I did come accross this guide but was wondering if the old Xbox DVD remote could be 'learned' and used like is was when controling the Xbox.
Anyway, I am a bit of a Noob and appreciate the guide. I do need a bit more help though...I read this..

"4) Download a copy of your keymap.xml file and replace the current entry for apple remote under the global node to the xml below. (You can change the functions, of course). Then copy it back over to the ATV. You can find the correct keymap.xml here:
/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata."
Not quite sure how to do this bit. Can you help with Noobie guide?

Also, when you say a learning remote, is this the type that you point a remote at so it can 'see' the ir while keys are pressed so it can Learn. Like the ATV I guess!

Thanks,
Mique
I second mique's original question.
Can the original Xbox1 remote control Xbmc on the ATV? I though the remote learning in the main ATV OS would allow any remote but it doesn't pickup all remotes Sad
A list of remotes which the ATV could sense without the need for getting a Harmony or 'learning' style remote would be ideal to those who don't want to spend a small foutune on a learning remote
As far as I know it's not the remote that learns. The Appletv learns the remote. I'm currently using an old unused DVD remote to control my Atv/XBMC. Working great so far.
Sorry, been out of town for a while (and yes they didn't have internet where I was :-P).

osxrulz is correct, you can use any remote you'd like as it is the ATV that does the actual learning. While you can't get the EXACT functionality of the original XBOX remote, you can get much closer than with just the straight up ATV remote.

As to the noob guide, I will see about throwing one together as an update to my original post later this evening, but again, search is your friend. You can find everything you need with judicious use of the search functionality. It's all been said before on the forums.

-aedile-
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Hey, just so folks know what I was getting at.
I know the ATV learns the remote, but, I've noticed that it cannot learn all remotes. It seems only to be able to read/receive some remotes.

So my question is, what remotes out there would folks recommend which the ATV can learn? One that has all the buttons you might have been used to on the orignal Xbox1 remote (which my ATV atleast cannoy learn)

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control need extra keys?0