[AppleTV] Launcher 3.1 release for Apple TV
MaestroDD Wrote:hm, after you've already downloaded/copied the dmg on/to your ATV, why not also _update_ manually?

To make it 'as much as fool prove as possible' maybe?

Thing is, maybe I want the .dmg to be on a samba/nfs/local fs/URL. Just point to it through the installer GUI where it sais 'custom build (or whatever) and fire away :-)
DaveGee Wrote:I seem to have a very slight overscan issue... all of the edges are like a 1/4" beyond the screens actual size. In other words... The 'news ticker' at the bottom of the screen (in one of the skins) isn't readable, you only see the tops of each letter.

Hint, see display calibration for overscan adjustments.
I don't see why you couldn't add a local xml file which points to a local script and local dmg file to the list in the same manner as how the svn builds is added to the launcher list.

I'm gonna try to figure it out myself with a modified local script to backup my existing xbmc.app and userdata folders.
davilla Wrote:Hint, see display calibration for overscan adjustments.

Thanks I saw it but I'm waiting for my latest monoprice order to be delivered which should include a bunch of new hdmi cables amoung other goodies. Smile

Gotta feeling once I use the hdmi it'll be okay but if not yea I played with the adjustments but would have been more confortable leaving things as they were since I didn't know how it would impact playing videos.

I'd play with it now but I'm in the midst of filling up my new ZFS pool!!

Yea I'm playing with fire but what the hell... Smile

Dave
TeknoJnky Wrote:I don't see why you couldn't add a local xml file which points to a local script and local dmg file to the list in the same manner as how the svn builds is added to the launcher list.

I'm gonna try to figure it out myself with a modified local script to backup my existing xbmc.app and userdata folders.

`This idea i was searching for for a long time.
I want the latest working nightly build for my apple tv with xbmc and the remote working.
Now i can only download with the updater the newest version but manually i can download the dmg-file i need. Just need the entry in launcher for an "easy update xbmc by own dmg" (when dmg is on your apple tv already.

Hope you can figure it out!

Mike
I'm working on a couple manual scripts to download a specified build# and to install a specific downloaded (from sshcs) build file.

you would have to activate them via logging with ssh and typing a couple commands, but it gives you more control over what builds are dl/installed and lets you downgrade if necessary.

I will post them here when I finish testing them.

if you follow the link, there already is scripts to backup and restore if you have problems with a build, you can easily roll back to the exact install you had previously.
TeknoJnky Wrote:I'm working on a couple manual scripts to download a specified build# and to install a specific downloaded (from sshcs) build file.

you would have to activate them via logging with ssh and typing a couple commands, but it gives you more control over what builds are dl/installed and lets you downgrade if necessary.

if you follow the link, there already is scripts to backup and restore if you have problems with a build, you can easily roll back to the exact install you had previously.

being able to archive the userdata would be a good option too. sometime svn head will update settings that will not be backward compatible anymore.
right, the backup and restore scripts mentioned already make a complete copy of both application data/XBMC and XBMC.app, and restore them both.

it does take a bit longer since that copies the entire tree including thumbnail cache, but it does make it an exact backup/restore.
Nice! wish i had the capability to do those commands myself. but its a too big step atm. i learn from alot of mistakes right now Smile but thats the purpose tight now aswell.

Will use that backup script directly, comes in handy when you fuck it up all the time.

Hope you find the "easy" way for installing a "older" nightly build from thequestor.

mike

TeknoJnky Wrote:I'm working on a couple manual scripts to download a specified build# and to install a specific downloaded (from sshcs) build file.

First off, I want to commend you guys for doing all this work.. it is very complicated to me.
All I would like to do is update to the most recent SVN so I can run a newer skin.
I installed XBMC on my ATV via an installer put out by Patchstick.ca. But I can not figure out how to do a manual update as I do not have your 3.1 installer.
I am using a Windows machine and Filezilla to move my stuff back and forth to the ATV over the network.

I can download the most recent SVN and open the file to get to the .dmg file that is in it. I can then open the dmg and save the XBMC.app file to my Windows machine.

Now, what needs to be done with this file? Can I just copy it over the existing XBMC.app file on the ATV, or??
I do not know how to send all the commands you speak of, or run scripts on the ATV. Previously, the PAtchstick.ca took care of all the installing but is only setup to do the major release, not the SVNs.

Any input (or wait till the next 'official' release)...
Thanks
JDizzy Wrote:First off, I want to commend you guys for doing all this work.. it is very complicated to me.
All I would like to do is update to the most recent SVN so I can run a newer skin.
I installed XBMC on my ATV via an installer put out by Patchstick.ca. But I can not figure out how to do a manual update as I do not have your 3.1 installer.
I am using a Windows machine and Filezilla to move my stuff back and forth to the ATV over the network.

I can download the most recent SVN and open the file to get to the .dmg file that is in it. I can then open the dmg and save the XBMC.app file to my Windows machine.

Now, what needs to be done with this file? Can I just copy it over the existing XBMC.app file on the ATV, or??
I do not know how to send all the commands you speak of, or run scripts on the ATV. Previously, the PAtchstick.ca took care of all the installing but is only setup to do the major release, not the SVNs.

Any input (or wait till the next 'official' release)...
Thanks

Need to learn and use ssh. If PAtchstick.ca did not install the ssh server, they are dorks.
davilla Wrote:Need to learn and use ssh. If PAtchstick.ca did not install the ssh server, they are dorks.

Umm.. it says it is ssh accessible so I would venture to say that it is installed.
I'll just have to figure out where to put the dmg file, the command to install it, and how to do that through Filezilla.
JDizzy Wrote:Umm.. it says it is ssh accessible so I would venture to say that it is installed.
I'll just have to figure out where to put the dmg file, the command to install it, and how to do that through Filezilla.

This thread might help -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52572

Remember, you do have an OSX box, it's called the AppleTV and it does run an OSX variant. So you don't have to extract the dmg under window. Do that on the AppleTV. You will have to use ssh.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Launcher 3.1 release for Apple TV0