Best method to archive my DVD-Video collection to Harddrive/NAS (without using XBMC)?
Question 
I have my XBMC hardware in the mail on its way to me and I am trying to do some planning for when it arrives.

I was wondering what the best way to archive my DVD library to ensure it is easy to play in XBMC.

I have heard dd works well to rip the DVD to an .iso file and play directly from there.

My Media will be stored in a headless ubuntu 9.04 NAS and accessed from my XBMC machine. The XBMC machine will not have any disks (pxe booting, no CD/DVD drive) so ripping from there is not going to work.

I deally I would be able to pop the DVD into my NAS and have it ripped and eject the DVD when I'm done. Is something like that possible?

I would like a similar process for ripping my Music CD's to FLAC format.

I don't mind some light scripting, just need someone to point me in a direction.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
just make a isofile with any tool of your like, shouldn't really matter.
Thanks for the response, I have started ripping the disks using dd on my desktop, i suppose once I have my library DD'd it is not something I would be doing all that frequently.

I did need to expand my storage a bit to accommodate however.

Anyway thanks again for the reply.
check out http://www.makemkv.com/

it let you transcode the dvd to a single mkv ... its slick easy to manage and hasslefree. (in case you can live without any menues, or extras!)
I have heard dd works well to rip the DVD to an .iso file and play directly from there.

Yeah : I heard that too ;-)

If you have linux as os it is very easy .

Make a permanent connection to your nas with nfs or smb
and place a proper line inside your /etc/fstab

Go to my website : Luemmels-dvd-ripper and donload the
red-pill version

For my script it is equal where to store the rip local / smb / nfs
Install the needed software (transcode ...)
The script makes perfect iso copys ....

BTW it the Python script calls only a shell script witch can also
be executed by hand.

If you would like to transform ... use the transcode command ...
on the ripped iso...

Greeting hans

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best method to archive my DVD-Video collection to Harddrive/NAS (without using XBMC)?0