Possible to install on a partition and boot?
Well Pete, I got the nettop from the Makro (Dutch-German chain of Warehouse clubs).
I payed €200,- for it with discount, I believe the price would normally be €250,-/€300,-.
If you want more information about the Packard Bell feel free to ask.

Also I just bought a 4gig SD card, is there some sort of tutorial for putting XBMC live on a SD card, and how to boot from it?
Ahh yes... I'm a member of Makro here in the UK... I'll see how much they have them for... I could do with a few more.

What you need to do now is 'burn' the XBMCLive iso image to a USB drive or a CD if you have a USB DVD drive like I do. In fact, I got a fantastic deal on a USB LiteOn BluRay drive the other day... haven't tested it with a BluRay disc yet tho.

But I digress...

When you have the boot media attached via usb, turn on the Revo and hit F12. Then select the USB boot option and hit enter. Choose the last menu item and follow the instructions. It should recognise the SD card as a drive, but it won't see your internal hard drive (a quirk with the Revo).

Make sure you tell it not to use the SD card as a removable device.

Enjoy!

Pete
Thank you,

Working on it right now, installing it on a USB flash drive.
I'll tell you guys when I got it working.

Also prehaps I should buy a USB DVD drive, would be great also for mine mini-laptop.

*Edit what does the permanent system storage do?
Permanent storage allows you to make changes that will stick after a reboot...

and yes.. I thoroughly recommend an external optical drive. The Blu-Ray one I got is also a CD and DVD burner - cost under £65.

Pete
I wanted to revive this thread because the OP's original question is getting at what I want to do (and where I'm now stuck). I bought an Acer AspireRevo which came with a 160GB hard drive with XP installed. While in XP, it reports that I have a C: drive that is about 72GB, a D: drive (DATA) which is empty and also 72GB.

I first attempted to go the XBMC Live route and install to an 8GB USB stick, but I've run into several problems with that where my USB stick seems to be getting corrupted, which then results in XBMC not starting up. I don't want to get rid of my XP partition just yet, so I'd like to install XBMC onto a 2nd partition.

So, per some other threads, I downloaded Ubuntu Jaunty Minimal CD .iso image, burned it, and booted up. Because I wanted to keep my XP partition, I selected the install expert option, and eventually ended up in the manual partition mode. That's where I'm stuck. It reports the following:

SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda) - 160.0 GB ATA Hitachi HTS54321
#1 primary 15.7 GB ntfs
#2 primary 72.2 GB B ntfs
#3 primary 72.1 GB ntfs

I'm guessing that 1st partition is some sort of rescue/restore partition (so I was going to leave that alone), the #2 partition is probably my Windows XP C: drive, and the 3rd one is probably what Windows XP is calling the D: (DATA) drive (which is currently empty).

I was thinking that I could/should choose #3, but from what I've read, it sounds like perhaps I ought to be splitting that 3rd partition into three new partitions: an XBMC install partition, a swap partition, and the rest for storage space. I'm not sure what to do and am worried that I'm going to screw something up.

I was hoping someone could walk me through the steps of setting the parameters of this existing 3rd partition correctly. If I choose #3 from this screen, it wants me to set the following settings (defaults and/or my guesses noted in parentheses):
Use as: (e.g, ext3)
Mount point: (e.g., / root)
Mount options: (e.g., relatime)
Label: (e.g., none)
Reserved blocks: (e.g., 5%)
Typical usage: (e.g., standard)
Bootable flag: (e.g., on)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to install on a partition and boot?0