Port XBMC to BSD based operating-system like FreeBSD, PC-BSD, or NetBSD?
Question 
I did a google search to see if i could find any info, i didn't see much.

Does anyone know if it will compile on FreeBSD and if so is there any tips/guides around?
Try it and let us know.
althekiller Wrote:Try it and let us know.

I tried this awhile back and it didn't work for me, I've learned a lot more lately about FreeBSD and building software in general but i still don't know enough about C to make good patches. I was wondering if any progress has been made with porting to FreeBSD.

I'm open to all tips and hints. Thanks guys
no. and it's not on our list at all.
I would imagine it would be some sort of linux/osx mix.
If you're willing to post some of the errors you run into, I'd be happy to work with you to try and resolve the issues.
You start by getting the depends in place, see README.ubuntu or README.osx. OSX is BSD so it's close but there will be some differences. Then get the internal libs building, then the main app. Disable everything that gets cranky.
Question 
Has anyone tried building XMBC on FreeBSD? Did some searching on google and here and don't see any evidence that it's been done.
FreeBSD has native nvidia drivers with vdpau, supports ALSA, Python, LIRC, etc. so I think it might be possible. I'm thinking about giving it a try.
What dependencies would need to be built besides the obvious nvidia, libvdpau, ALSA, Python and LIRC?

Any info would be appreciated.
Isn't freebsd the same as MAC os? I found alot of system binaries on Mac which reference freeBSD.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
OSX is based on FreeBSD.
There are areas where mac devs have made some changes, but they're fairly closely related.
derwood Wrote:Has anyone tried building XBMC on FreeBSD? Did some searching on google and here and don't see any evidence that it's been done.
FreeBSD has native nvidia drivers with vdpau, supports ALSA, Python, LIRC, etc. so I think it might be possible. I'm thinking about giving it a try.
What dependencies would need to be built besides the obvious nvidia, libvdpau, ALSA, Python and LIRC?

Any info would be appreciated.

See README.ubuntu, there's a list of lib depends in there. You will have to diddle source code a bit, you will want linux as the OSX side is mostly cocoa'isms and that's not there in a Free/Net BSD system. The big thing will be the _Linux #ifdefs. Force that and see where it borks, rinse/repeat.
Thanks.. I've got a system mostly built now with XFCE4 desktop.. Gonna start checking libs and see what I can get to work.
Interesting. Make sure to report back Smile XBMC is all I need (and then some) for a media server. BSD with native ZFS would make the package one sweet deal. Currently checking out PC-BSD, and having XBMC functional here would seal the deal.
I've tried this a while back, I'm about to try again.

The biggest hangup I saw was libdl, which is (was?) not present in FreeBSD.

Frequently, most of the FreeBSD development environment is close to Linux, although some libraries on linux are system header in *BSD, and some system headers are combined or placed in different locations.

There are of course structural differences, but the FreeBSD ports system tends to provide stable, moderately recent versions of most libraries needed to compile stuff from Linux.

The opposite path is to use the FreeBSD linux compatibility layer, which provides a simulated kernel and I believe redhat distro set of libraries.

I'll try to post specifics later.
Ok, good news so far while waiting for the download...yikes!

libdl is not necessary on FreeBSD because the same functions are implemented in libc, so it would seem I can just remove the imports.

Can't remember what other libs hung up, but I've got the depends for gnome2.32, vlc, compiz, mplayer etc., so I'm hoping I'm close...googling for a list now...

What will probably be a killer is that many files that would live in /usr on Linux live in /usr/local on FreeBSD (Only system critical core binaries/libs/etc live in /usr, all the additional software lives deep in /usr/local/)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to BSD based operating-system like FreeBSD, PC-BSD, or NetBSD?1