• 2(current)
MediaPortal TVserver client in XBMC (for Live TV, Scheduling, Rec,... etc.)
(lacitpo @ nov. 12 2004,21:19 Wrote:so is this confirmation that there are plans to work with mediaportal to use xbmc as a frontend.
eh, plans and plans, no one on the team has yet specificly said they will do it, but i'm sure it will get done after media portal pass 1.0

(lacitpo @ nov. 12 2004,21:19 Wrote:if so, does anyone know projected dates for a 1.0 release of media portal.
you have to direct that question to frodo and team-mediaportal, suspect they have a to-do list of major features to complete first?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
well 1.0 has been released.

so....?

just kidding. i can wait for this as it would be sweet.
actually media portal has reached version 0.1 not 1.0 but thats besides the point, i can imagine how great it would be if xbmc and mp were tied in together, that would defintely kill ms mce (in my opinion is already does for the money, but i still have problems with guests in my house still having trouble using xbmc). i know this would be a long term goal but i just wanna show my support for this and hope it will be strongly considered.

-matt
well, i am going to take a look and see if my programming skills can help at all with this. i am sure i will probably get in the way more than anything, but i would sure love to see this come through.
i know this has been brought up in the forum before, but i cannot find anything as far as any official statements on the issue.  are there plans to add tv functionality to xbmc in the future?  i have read that it is possible once mediaportal matures, but after reading up on the boards here and on the mediaportal site, it is not clear if there are actually any plans to make this happen.  it appears most of the users of both pieces of software are very doubtful about this, i just want to try to get an answer from the source rather than reading all the gibberish.  there are several users that would love to have this feature so that xbmc can become their all-in-one solution to a media center.  xbmc, in my oppinion, brings all retail hardware and software to it's knees.  there is just one major area that it is lacking, and that is tv functionality.  i am aware of scripts to interface with this and/or that, and that is all fine and well for now, but what about the future?  i have also read arguments about wait for xbox 2, except, with that means that xbmc will pretty much have to be remade when that day comes.  i have other concerns with this as well, will m$ learn from their mistakes with xbox (not likely as we have seen in the past) and make it more difficult for the modding community to use the hardware for these uses, will they put out another sorry attempt at a media center of their own, etc?  anyways, enough ramblings from me, are there plans to implement tv support in the future?

edit by mod: splitted this post into two (instead of simply putting into garbage bin), separated the mediaportal-client and telephony questions!

Exclamation 
because xbmc is a voleenteer based project we can't force anyone to program something they don't want to do themselves.
so (from both on xbmc and the mediaportal side) this will be coded when someone with the skill and time voleenter to do it.
all we non-devs can do is try give ideas how we think it can be best achieved and tell them why we feel it should be added.

to answer your question, no one on team-xbmc has yet said they will take on this task (so there are therefore no plans).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
this all sounds very nice and would be fun to have.
but as gamestr17 allready stated the devs working on mediaportal all have other goals @ this moment.
none of them have the need for mediaportal<>xbmc connectivity.

i myself would not use xbox as it is nearing the end of it's life-cycle. better look for a different platform i think.
mario is right.

we're working towards mediaportal v1.0 and believe me, it will take months before we get there.
there are no plans to integrate mediaportal and xbmc
why not? simply because non of the mediaportal developers are interested in this
i myself sold my xbox and dont even got the xdk anymore
others are much more eager to work on dvb-s/c/t support and other features for mediaportal.

so i dont think you'll see xbmc + mediaportal integrated unless offcourse a new developers comes up which is going todo this

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
(frodo @ dec. 13 2004,15:17 Wrote:mario is right.

we're working towards mediaportal v1.0 and believe me, it will take months before we get there.
there are no plans to integrate mediaportal and xbmc
why not? simply because non of the mediaportal developers are interested in this
i myself sold my xbox and dont even got the xdk anymore
others are much more eager to work on dvb-s/c/t support and other features for mediaportal.

so i dont think you'll see xbmc + mediaportal integrated unless offcourse a new developers comes up which is going todo this

frodo
good to hear a official statement from you frodo.

to bad that you lost intrest in xbmc, and to bad mp is so much less intressting.

good luck inte the future though.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
Quote:to bad that you lost intrest in xbmc, and to bad mp is so much less intressting.
live goes on, better accept that
the xbox is near the end of its life and lets face it
a 733mhz box cant compete with any normal pc anymore
offcourse the xbox2 will arrive, but i doubt it will ever have a large developers community like the xbox1. reason? its probably much more secured to prevent modchips and
its not based on pc hardware anymore

mp being less interesting? i think not!
let me tell you something about mp:

we got all features xbmc has (except kai maybe) and more!
like :
-live tv with pause,timeshifting, recording, search tv guide, manage of recorded tv shows, ...
-integration with most remote controls like winlirc, usbuirt, irman, mce2005 remote
-support for german, french & english imdb
-support for http://www.allmusic.com to retrieve album, & artist info & cover art
-alarm plugin
-status plugin to watch your motherboard & set alarms
-wake up/suspend powerscheduler. wakes up your htpc if something needs to be recorded and shutdown again on inactivity
-my radio , internet, shoutcast and local fm radio
-msn messenger to chat with friends while watching your favortite video/tv show
-my mail to read your mail from within mp
-my recipies, this is for you wife. we accept meal master recipies and there are >10000 recipies of those
-my news, configure & read rss feeds

besides that we can play any media format, including dvd with menu's.
first beta for dvb-s is just released to watch,recording & timeshift any sattelite tv show. dvb-t/c will soon follow

to give you some more numbers.
last weekend we reached the top10 of sourceforge most active projects
we got more then 3000 registered users and the 0.1 version of mp has been downloaded >30,000 times

mp has been covered in well known magazines like c't in germany and 2 weeks ago a well know magazine rated mp as the top 6 mediacenters available (while we are still in beta fase!Wink.
reason we where 6th and not in the top 3 was because we didnt had dvb-s support (which we do now)

so i wouldnt say mp is less interesting ;-)

frodo

XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
Rainbow 
well there you have it; frodo now stated that he will not be the one who codes it which means someone else will have to step up and do it.
ps! i for one do not agree with the opinion that the xbox is near the end of its life, it has got many years left in it as a cheap front-end Cool
i don't see why the xbox is at the end of its life cycle even after xbox 2 comes out. what my xbox does, i doubt any system will be able to do in a long time. i look at microsofts media center and extenders and they totally fall short from xbmc except in tv. not to mention the xbox plays games and emulators. i think by adding tv functionality you will only be extending the life cycle and usefulness of the xbox.

don't get me wrong, i think media portal is totally necessary, a computer will always be the primary backbone to any new technology.

i think the main thing that needs to happen here is developing an api for media portal. if we can setup an interface for media portal that will allow streaming (video/tv) and passing of commands (play, stop, ff, record, etc..) then the media portal will become capable of functioning on any system which code can be compiled on.

i have been looking into this a bit on my free time, if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.
(frodo @ dec. 13 2004,15:54 Wrote:
Quote:to bad that you lost intrest in xbmc, and to bad mp is so much less intressting.
so i wouldnt say mp is less interesting ;-)

frodo
to me it is. i have no plans buying a htpc in the near future. and xbmc works great. it's fast and has almost everything i need.

mediaportal on my computer is like driving through glue. it's slow and unresponsive. had the same problem on my old computer to. (i reasently bought a new one).
i'm playing doom 3 on the new one without problems but can't get mp to feel quick is a bit sad.

i'll keep xbmc and my xbox acouple of years more Wink until hdtv is more common. right now it does everything and does it great. a realy cheap media center solution.

but as i said before i wish you and the mp team best of luck in the future. and thanks again for making the foundation of xbmc.

//niclas
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
absolutely; i agree that the xbox 1 has some time left. of course a powerful mediaportal media server would be very welcome, including the cpu extra cpu power. the xbmc could be the front-end to connect to the media server from different rooms. xbmc is such a wonderful peace of software that it does what it can do very well. probably when 1080i hdtv content will be mainstream a more powerful front-end will be needed / welcome for sure. until then i’m very happy with my xbox, i bought is especially for the use of xbmc and i didn’t regret that a second.

i’m sorry to find out that frodo lost his interest in the xbox. i also agree with him that xbox 2 will be a different machine probably harder to mod and to write software for. perhaps one day i will get myself a dign and start running mediaportal on it but at the moment xbmc is good enough for me. dvb support could be the reason for me!!!! and more speed for mediaportal is what i would like too!!!

:pirate:
thank you for an official response. that is exactly what i was looking for. anyways, with respect to the xbox being "near the end of it's life cycle". i absolutely disagree with this, xbox 2 is going to be much more secure which will make development much more difficult. it will be so long before you see xbmc for xbox 2 as far as it is with xbox 1 now (if you see it at all) that it will not matter if it supports live tv.
i for one, am looking forward to hanging on to my media center xbox because i have the dx-1480 with 128mb ram and a 1.4ghz processor so as far as power goes i am fairly up to date.
alright, well now that we have an official response, can we put a spot in the todo list to get this implemented first on the mp side, then we can get the xbox side working. better yet, can we get a fund setup and whoever steps up to the plate and actually gets it working takes the pot? would be a good way to encourage the development here. after scouring forums and reading several threads, it seems the general consensus is that this would not be an overly huge task, it seems more that somebody just needs to sit down and do it. i am stuck on the idea of it being built into both programs so scripts don't really do it for me. what do you guys think, should we setup a fund and start generating some serious interest in this?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaPortal TVserver client in XBMC (for Live TV, Scheduling, Rec,... etc.)0