• 3(current)
MediaPortal TVserver client in XBMC (for Live TV, Scheduling, Rec,... etc.)
first of all, let me state that xbmc is great. no doubt about it
second, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion,
i hope for you guys that the xbox1 still has a long life, but i doubt it.
reasons for this in my opinion:
- the xbox2 is probably much more secure. remember m$ is losing money on every xbox sold. they business plan is to make money with the games. so their primary goal is preventing that these can be copied
-the playstation3 is coming. from what i heard, it runs a modified linux and seems to be far more open/accessable then the xbox2
-devs like new gadgets. so when the playstation3 comes out and its 'open' you will see devs moving to this console
-lets say the xbox2 can be modded and you can develop your own software for it. then its still very hard to port xbmc to the xbox2. reason: the xbox2 contains a risc processor
this means that all this optimized mmx,sse code used/borrowed from the mplayer group is useless on the xbox2. and its very very hard write your own!

-2005 is going to be the year of the htpc. everywhere you look you see mediacenters appearing. either in pc's, dvd-recorders, sattelite receivers. i expect that m$ will release a mce extender for their xbox2 so maybe you guys could use that

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
agreed mostly, i think frodo.

xbox does have it's limitations, but i still think it makes an ideal candidate for a media center. reasons are:

1. cheap. it will remain cheap (and get even cheaper) long after xbox2 comes out. this makes it an ideal candidate for a "one in each room" device.

2. relatively small and quiet.

3. enough power for playback of dvd resolution stuff, and higher (720p mpeg2 is fine, and mpeg4 at 720p is very close.)

4. interface.

number 4 is imo the number one reason that there are so many htpc products out there. every single one of them fails in the interface. mce2005 has it reasonably good, but is let down by the restrictions and hardware tie ins. hopefully you mediaportal guys can nail this one - perhaps you can look at the progress we've been making with xbmc on this front. Wink

i have never understood why so many people want tv capability. i personally just use the internet as my pvr :p

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

about number 4
maybe you can share whats been added to mp?
also some screenshots would be cool

frodo
Exclamation 
hope you still reading this thread frodo(?), i like to take the opertunity to get back on-topic and bump the discussion on upnp (link);
if upnp-mediaserver is implemented into mediaportal by team-mediaportal then team-xbmc can implement upnp client-code in xbmc.
...and because upnp is an open standard not only xbmc would benifit anyone can then make other upnp-clients for mediaportal Wink
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
(gamester17 @ dec. 14 2004,12:59 Wrote:hope you still reading this thread frodo(?), i like to take the opertunity to get back on-topic and bump the discussion on upnp (link);
if upnp-mediaserver is implemented into mediaportal by team-mediaportal then team-xbmc can implement upnp client-code in xbmc.
...and because upnp is an open standard not only xbmc would benifit anyone can then make other upnp-clients for mediaportal Wink
yes!! xbox for now, and if in 2006 we figure out how to program on a playstation 3, than imagine a pmc (playstation media center) running on cell technology.
gamester17, should we take this as an attempt to implement tv support with your mention of upnp? would be nice, if we already had our side of things done, maybe mp would be more willing to work with us. not to be rude or anything but since frodo has lost interest in his xbox, and seems dead against this functionality, why come to check out the boards? don't take that the wrong way, just seems like maybe you haven't completely lost interest. why not open a doorway for xbmc to expand a little more, once that doorway is open, the developers here can at least make some progress on their own. it would definately extend the life of the xbox since people think it is going to be dead soon. there haven't been a whole lot of breakthroughs with the xbox lately, but maybe this would be just the thing we need to keep the interest and development alive.
Star 
@los93sol, reason i don't implement is i can't as i'm not a programmer, all i mean is not only xbmc would benifit from upnp in mediaportal.
ps! see no point in starting a 'which came first, chicken or the egg?' disscussion, doesn't matter who adds it first; must have both to work
i hope we see live-tv with any tv-card in the "near" future.

which way it will be build in is a matter of the coders Wink

i´ve always shown a way:
for this way we need to have to play udp-streams. until now i didn´t got it to work Sad
look here:
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=6868

if the udp-stream can be played, then we need coders to write the external controls of gam.
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Quote:why come to check out the boards?
because someone told me about this thread
and that xbmc ppl wanted an offical statement from me

frodo
@Frodo, what are your thoughts on what gamester17 has said about upnp support being useful for more things than just xbmc? i can see it being used for several apps/features personally, but what are your thoughts, would it be useful or possibly implemented for another purpose?
this is from the todo list (http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.source....php?t=652) for mediaportal:

Quote:my tv:
general
- video network broadcasting...so we can send live video streams(from a capture device) to other networked computers..

the todo list is about a mile long, but at least this feature is on the radar. now the question is how does mediaportal intend to implement this so we can start working on a client?
what about the python scripts already written for tivo functionality, and dreambox?

i'm going to get going on this, and figure out a way to do it.
it may take some time, while i learn how to xdk, but i'm committed!
i have a hauppauge nexus-s.
i think that the xbox being the cheapest, most powerful frontend you can buy right now will keep it going for years to come, not to mention the fact that i have 540 gigs full of games that my kids will never play in 10 years. the graphics quality of the xbox under hdtv is the best in the market, and games will continue to be released for at least the immediate future. the capabilities of the xbox as a frontend just makes sense.
buy a $800 pc, wiht 2, or 3 dvb-s cards, and a hdtv terrestrial card for locals, thus between $1000, and $1500 invested.
then, $140 per xbox (plus remote kit) for every other tv in your house.(plus a http://www.x2vga.com/ for your hdtv, or monitor/lcd projector)
the result could be a tivo killer for next to nothing in relation to other commercial ventures.

can a tivo do any of the graphics that an xbox can,
no, it plain ass sucks!
tivo menus are the slowest thing i've ever seen.

the myth project is catching up,
but there is a reason that both the xbmc, and mediaportal project is so popular....
there is nothing like it on either platform, that is well, opensource....
smokeman,
i agree with you... the xbmc still has life as long as the devs support/extend/improve it.

i'd love to use mp as the pvr and xbmc as my game machine and front end.

when you get a beta, start a new thread and i'm sure you'll get some testers!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
well, i dont know how much help i can be, but i finally got the xdk and compiled the xbmc source code.

i am looking into implementing a upnp client. hopefully, i can at least get something started that others can work on.
i had an epiphany on the way home from work,
the whole problem right now is that xbmc can't talk to mediaportal at all, right?

what about simply incorporating xbmc stream server into mediaportal, then simply expand on it's functionality?
xbmc stream code is readily available, and understood by many.
there are a lot of pc app coders that understand it already,
so how hard can it be to merge some of that code into mediaportal?

that would be step one, which would allow xbmc to watch shows that are recording. then the next step would be to port the python scripts for controling tivo recording database, or dreambox to control mediaportal's recording schedule.

that may be an oversimplification,
or, it may be a start :-)
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaPortal TVserver client in XBMC (for Live TV, Scheduling, Rec,... etc.)0