• 8(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
nugentgl Wrote:Yes, I upgraded to 1.0.10 and it fixed my DTS and DD issues over HDMI to my reciever.

Are you using a ACER REVO then?
Hopefully this will work tonite when i start over again.
The only problem i was having was the surround sound and possibly some issues with HD content but that may be because i encoded it lol
I'm about to revise the 1st post but am going to Belgium tomorrow and will be on a ferry at WTF o'clock....

This morning I started from scratch with the 2.6.30.2 kernel for better remote functionality and will continue on Thursday morning, taking into account a lot of what has been discussed here as I go. Hopefully the post will be finished by Saturday.

Take care..

Pete
I got all of this up and running last nite (perfect guide by the way)
I updated to alsa 1.0.20 and my amps dolby light flashed on which was awesome.

I played the Aliens DVD from the boxset and got the surround working but when i tried to play Star Wars Ep 5 or Pirates i got no sound at all not even stereo.

Did anybody else suffer this?
Question 
Pete_London Wrote:1. Download the Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope minimal cd from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
Note: Please use the 32-bit CD.

trust me to get stuck at the first step Confused.... that link is broken, do you mean the alternate install or just the standard desktop?

Thanks

D.

edit: just found this, sorry.
foxie2 Wrote:I got all of this up and running last nite (perfect guide by the way)
I updated to alsa 1.0.20 and my amps dolby light flashed on which was awesome.

I played the Aliens DVD from the boxset and got the surround working but when i tried to play Star Wars Ep 5 or Pirates i got no sound at all not even stereo.

Did anybody else suffer this?

I think those movies are DTS. Does your reciever decode DTS?
thanks for the reply nugentgl. My reciever does do DTS.

I managed to get the pirates movies to play surround and most of the others. What i have noticed is when i resume from suspend no sound works at all. Any one else had this?
ok, this may be a stupid question. I bought an ION thinking that it will decode DTS for me and pass it to my TV. My other htpc in my main room does that (running vista). Anyway, is this possible? Basically all I have is a flat panel and this ion htpc. The ION htpc is connected through hdmi and I want to be able to watch all my movies with sound. Currently nothing is working, not even divx's (video works, no sound). I tried playing an mp3 through ubuntu... no sound. I tried the plughw:hdmi and hdmi like this thread suggests... nothing, I get a failed to initialize. Is this just not possible? I want ubuntu to decode everything and just pass it to my tv like my main htpc does. Please let me know, thank you!

EDIT: I don't think I mentioned it.. I DO NOT have a reciever

EDIT2: Ok, got it all working Smile Did a search for the ZOTAC board and followed the instructions in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54705; used alt2 config;
Wow, this guide worked wonders for me and my precious little Aspire Revo. I stopped using XBMC about two years ago because it couldn't play HD video, but with Ion and these little nettops I'm picking up the pace again! And man, has this software improved!

I was just wondering: how does one "kill" the XBMC process and bring up the Ubuntu GUI in order to easily tweak some settings (sharing drives, installing software, etc.)? I installed the Ubuntu Desktop during setup, but can only seem to bring it up when logging in with other users than "xbmc".

Any ideas?
Question 
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the guide! I'm using it at the moment to get my Asrock ION 330 installed. I have a question though.

Quote:deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xbmc-addons/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/xbmc-addons/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu intrepid main

Are you sure that for the NVidia related stuff the Intrepid repositories must be used, or is this a copy 'n paste error?
Cutestory Wrote:Wow, this guide worked wonders for me and my precious little Aspire Revo. I stopped using XBMC about two years ago because it couldn't play HD video, but with Ion and these little nettops I'm picking up the pace again! And man, has this software improved!

I was just wondering: how does one "kill" the XBMC process and bring up the Ubuntu GUI in order to easily tweak some settings (sharing drives, installing software, etc.)? I installed the Ubuntu Desktop during setup, but can only seem to bring it up when logging in with other users than "xbmc".

Any ideas?

Both the things youve mentioned are exactly what I need! If someone can explain how to drop back to the desktop that would be awesome as I cant figure out how to do it but I installed desktop remix...am going to install minimal ubuntu though i think.

Also, how did you install the desktop GUI when installing the minimal install CD please mate?

Also, I have a lot of HD WMVs but the revo struggles in playing them, they stutter really badly, has anyone else experienced this and if you fixed it how?

Thanks
spawn101 Wrote:Both the things youve mentioned are exactly what I need! If someone can explain how to drop back to the desktop that would be awesome as I cant figure out how to do it but I installed desktop remix...am going to install minimal ubuntu though i think.

Also, how did you install the desktop GUI when installing the minimal install CD please mate?

Also, I have a lot of HD WMVs but the revo struggles in playing them, they stutter really badly, has anyone else experienced this and if you fixed it how?

Thanks

Just so happened I solved my own problem this morning. Seeing as I had installed the desktop GUI as well during the installation (I just selected the option, along with ssh, samba, etc.), I can just select Options at the login screen and then choose to log in to Gnome, instead of logging in using the custom xbmc scripts.

Might not be a pretty solution, but it sure does work. =)
Cutestory Wrote:Just so happened I solved my own problem this morning. Seeing as I had installed the desktop GUI as well during the installation (I just selected the option, along with ssh, samba, etc.), I can just select Options at the login screen and then choose to log in to Gnome, instead of logging in using the custom xbmc scripts.

Might not be a pretty solution, but it sure does work. =)

Hmmm, which option did you choose during installation to install the Gnome desktop, I chose Ubuntu Desktop but it installs a full blown ubuntu desktop then! Sorry im a linux noob Smile

Ive installed the minimal install cd choosing only ssh and samba now and then ran this after completing the install and rebooting to create a bare minimum desktop environment:

echo "[*] Installing Gnome Essentials"
sudo apt-get -y install gnome-core gdm network-manager-gnome fast-user-switch-applet \
human-theme x11-xserver-utils tangerine-icon-theme gnome-themes-ubuntu ubuntu-artwork \
jockey-gtk gnome-screensaver gnome-utils
echo "[*] Installing Application Essentials"
sudo apt-get install -y gcalctool tsclient

then ran the script located here:

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55282

but what I get is XBMC auto runs and im not presented with the gnome login screen so i cant do what youre doing to get to the desktop ie click on options. How do I exit XBMC and drop into the desktop? is the above script basically causing gnome to be bypassed on startup and therefore not allowing me to get to it?

help please people this is driving me bonkers ive rebuilt the goddamn Revo about 10 times now trying to get it how I want it Smile

Thanks in advance!
Hi All,

After 3 nights of trying this and following the guide exactly i give up!

I have followed everything as is and I just cant get XBMC to boot, I get and error about the display adapter, so i'm guessing this is probably to do with the nvidia drivers? has anybody had success installing the drivers the way the guide has suggested by Rachel.

Please can you advise if there is another way I can have a go of installng the drivers?

Many Thanks.

Jon
XBMC does indeed start up automatically, but you can always just "exit XBMC" from within the program, which takes me to the login screen. From there on I can choose to run GNOME - FYI I have indeed simply installed the full-blown Ubuntu desktop. =)
Cutestory Wrote:XBMC does indeed start up automatically, but you can always just "exit XBMC" from within the program, which takes me to the login screen. From there on I can choose to run GNOME - FYI I have indeed simply installed the full-blown Ubuntu desktop. =)

Thanks, I think the problem I am having is because I only have Ubunty Jaunt minimal and am not sure that the nvidia drivers are installing correctly.

I don't really want to install the full blown ubuntu desktop as I am affraid this may affect the smoothness of playback for hi def?

Ideally I want XBMC installed as per this guide. Do you know how to manually install the drivers from a removable devise such as USB drive? using the terminal of course as it is only Ubuntu terminal. If I do it this may hopefully I can rule out whether it is the drivers that is causing the problem.

Cheers.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1