• 6(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
Hi guys,

I've just tried going through the process and everything appeared to be going fine. But, when it came to rebooting linux and expecting XBMC to boot up I instead get the following message:

-bash: tty1: command not found

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Linux so I may well have screwed something up, in particular the linux install where there are quite a few options.

Anyone know what could have gone wrong?

Ta,
JJ.
Sorted it. God knows what I did wrong the first time but everything seems fine now.
Hello!

Im trying to follow this guide but Im stuck at:

sudo apt-get install xorg build-essential gcc linux-headers-`uname -r`

I get "Couldnt find package linux-headers-uname -r"

am I missing something?

Best regards
Tobias
Jansson_to Wrote:am I missing something?

Yes. the backticks: `uname -r` (note the backticks)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I am trying to get those, but Im probably getting them wrong? I can these from my keyboard: ´ and ' .

Edit. Found them Smile shift+´ made a `

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards
Tobias
I followed your guide on setting up a minimal install and I really appreciate it as my Linux skills have all but disappeared. However, how do I kill XBMC if I need to? I came across one: sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc stop but xbmc is not located in init.d. I also found a way to kill x all together: /etc/init.d/gdm stop but following this guide there is no Gnome.

So how do a temporarily stop XBMC from a terminal?
You can probably kill it just like any other process:

ps ax | grep xbmc

kill -INT [process ID]

(where "[process ID]" is whatever the process number is that you see when you do the first command)

Do another ps ax | grep xbmc to check it's actually stopped though. If kill -INT doesn't do it, try just kill on its own.

Acer Revo 1600 | SpeedLink SL-6399 | Kodibuntu :nerd:
Incidentally on this HOWTO: is it just me, but am I right in thinking that unless you install usbmount, Ubuntu won't mount any external USB hard drives when you boot up? At least, that's my experience when doing CLUI installs. Adding a line to fstab (the traditional method) does jack all in the recent versions of Ubuntu I think.

Acer Revo 1600 | SpeedLink SL-6399 | Kodibuntu :nerd:
gilgongo - I thought of that right after I posted, but then how do I restart XBMC without rebooting?

I have not connected an external USB drive to my box as all content is on the network; however, I do remember reading that usbmount is needed.
Hi, and thanks for all your efforts in making this guide Smile

I followed this install guide and got everything working, except a couple of things.

First, I only got sound working through HDMI by using settings :
Audio Capable Device: plughw:0,3
Passthrough Output Device: hdmi

Thing is - only DTS is sent in multichannel to my receiver (Yamaha RX-V765). Seems like if the moviefile is Dolby Digital I only get Left+Right front channels (no center/surround/sw).
Alsa sound version (sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils) is 1.1.18rc3 - this is not the latest version (1.1.20 is I think). Will an upgrade help on the DD issue? If so, can anyone post a howto for upgrading Alsa?

Another thing - XBMC crashes often. Mostly if I fast-forward a movie, or resumes a previously stopped movie file. Is there any way to configure the powerbutton on the Revo to only kill/exit XBMC instead of shutting down the whole computer? I guess this cannot be assigned to a key, as when XBMC crashes no key on the keyboard respons.

Thanks in advance
skrangel - yes upgrade to 1.1.20. I had similar problems and after the upgrade my DD and DTS was passed correctly to my Onkyo, however, movies encoded in 5.1 flac don't work but that is a low priority now as I only have one movie with encoded as such. On the Ubuntu forums, look for a thread about alsa upgrade script.
Thanks for the reply, nugentgl. Do you have an url to a howto for upgrading Alsa, or is it just a command ?
skrangel Wrote:Thanks for the reply, nugentgl. Do you have an url to a howto for upgrading Alsa, or is it just a command ?

This link contains everything you will need:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810
Thanks a lot, I managed the update.

However, I still struggle to get 5.1 surround from a couple of .wmv 1080p files I have laying around. ASF viewer displays the following for the audio part:
Code:
..... "Windows Media Audio 10 Professional" "VBR Quality 98, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass VBR" WMT_CODECINFO_AUDIO 354 2 0000: 62 01                                             b    
"VC-1" "VC-1 Advanced Profile" WMT_CODECINFO_VIDEO WVC1.....

From these files, I only get stereo through HDMI. I have no problems with DTS, or even AC3 from DVDs.

Could this an issue with:
- the Revo's soundcard?
- XBMC ?
- Alsa ?
skrangel Wrote:Thanks a lot, I managed the update.

However, I still struggle to get 5.1 surround from a couple of .wmv 1080p files I have laying around. ASF viewer displays the following for the audio part:
Code:
..... "Windows Media Audio 10 Professional" "VBR Quality 98, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass VBR" WMT_CODECINFO_AUDIO 354 2 0000: 62 01                                             b    
"VC-1" "VC-1 Advanced Profile" WMT_CODECINFO_VIDEO WVC1.....

From these files, I only get stereo through HDMI. I have no problems with DTS, or even AC3 from DVDs.

Could this an issue with:
- the Revo's soundcard?
- XBMC ?
- Alsa ?

Does DTS and DD get passed correctly in any HD MKV files? I assume these files play fine in Windows?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1