• 11(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
Hello,

thanks for a fantastic tutorial, which helped me setting up my revo-xbmc really fast.
Since i own a xbox with xbmc too i know the prog for a long time and I'm a big fan of the python scripts of the xbmc, especially the movietrailers one.
Unfortunately not a single script of the ones i installed is running.
It shows the message "running" for a short time but nothing happened.
After googling and searching in the forum here I couldn't find any information about the scripts.
Should the scripts work under Linux ?
Can anybody help me ?

Thank you very much

Dirk
OK. First of all sorry for the noob question, but I am following what appears to be the simplest guide:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=374815&postcount=1

but after linking to:

http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMCbunt...nal_Ubuntu

which is all well and good, I get to

'Initial system configuration'

I hae no idea how to SSH into the PC. From googling it appears I need to use WinSCP, but I have no idea how to find out what IP the box is on? It didnt ask me in the config (so I presume DHCP) but my crappy router does not tell me the IP its on. How do I find out?

I dont need to SSH into it, and would prefer to do directly, but I have a login prompt which I know the l/p for, but after that I dont know how to

'Create the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list with the following content: '

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
Does this tutorial also work if I want to install Ubuntu on my Mac Mini? Anything specific if I want to use bootcamp? Anyone has tried and confirm?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
coalfield Wrote:OK. First of all sorry for the noob question, but I am following what appears to be the simplest guide:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=374815&postcount=1

but after linking to:

http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMCbunt...nal_Ubuntu

which is all well and good, I get to

'Initial system configuration'

I hae no idea how to SSH into the PC. From googling it appears I need to use WinSCP, but I have no idea how to find out what IP the box is on? It didnt ask me in the config (so I presume DHCP) but my crappy router does not tell me the IP its on. How do I find out?

I dont need to SSH into it, and would prefer to do directly, but I have a login prompt which I know the l/p for, but after that I dont know how to

'Create the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list with the following content: '

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

PuTTY is the tool incase anyone doesnt know... although finding the Ip address was impossible for me until after it was installed Confused
Quick question guys.

My system now boots straight into XBMC. How do i get back to the GNOME desktop?
Quote:My system now boots straight into XBMC. How do i get back to the GNOME desktop?
If you followed this guide you have no desktop installed?
G10CHY Wrote:Quick question guys.

My system now boots straight into XBMC. How do i get back to the GNOME desktop?
It's hard to "get back" to something you never installed in the first place. That's why this is called a minimal install. There is no window manager installed, other than XBMC. If you want Gnome, you're going to have to install it.
Cutestory Wrote:I have another issue:

I set up a Samba share to my external NTFS drive connected to my Revo. When logging in tot full-desktop Ubuntu, I can map it just fine on my windows PC: adding/deleting files works perfectly.

However, when I log in using the script to run XBMC automatically (as per default in the install procedure descriped by the OP), I only seem to have read rights to my disk. I can read just as well, but I can't write... Which is a darn shame.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

I've been searching all over to answer this same question! I currently have XBMC Live installed on my Aspire Revo, but I would reinstall everything if I could set this up.

This is what I'm trying to do - I want to connect my external USB hard drive to my Revo and use it for all of my media. I've found that this direct connection results in much better playback and quick response times. However, my main PC is upstairs and is used to rip all of my media. When I connect my external USB drive to this main PC, the streaming is much slower - likely due to the Wireless N adapter that I'm forced to used since I don't have a wired connection to that computer.

So, I seem to be stuck with 2 solutions:

1. Get the Revo to share the USB drive so I can write files directly to it from my main PC.
2. Buy a Network Attached Storage device that I can place on my router and provide a wired streaming connection to my media.

Has anyone been able to get their Revo (or Zotac or similar machine) to share an attached USB drive and allow data to be written directly to that drive while XBMC is running? I don't want to have to switch between XBMC and the Ubuntu desktop if possible.

Thanks!!
I'm new to Linux and this is my first post. I recently bought a Revo - the 1 gb version with Linux installed. Before I installed XBMC Live, I played around with the Revo and could listen to music through headphone enabling the headphone jack. I then followed the instructions above for XBMC Live and installed to the hard drive wiping the previous instal. I connected to my plasma TV via hdmi and but have no audio. I have made sure that video render is VDPAU and the audio output is configured for digitial, device is hdmi, passthrough is hdmi and stereo down mixing is on. When the video is first started a box pops up with information that audio has not initialised and that I should check my configuration. The audio through the headphones also does not work. I've seen advice on checking things with alsmixer but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to know how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. As stated above, I'm new to Linux and finding my way around has not been easy but I'm learning.
xboxbotox Wrote:So, I seem to be stuck with 2 solutions:
Thanks!!

Or number 3: Get some 200Mbps Homeplugs. Fact is WiFi just won't cut it for streaming HD stuff. I got myself some Zyxel 200Mbps Homeplugs and haven't looked back. Although the advertised speed is 200Mbps, I've never been able to get more than 42Mbps (over FTP) and that was when the were plugged in next to each other at a double wall socket. Still a hell of a lot more than WiFi could achieve and so much more stable.

[/off topic]
if anybody is having signal strength issues please run

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty wicd

this appears to increase the wifi signal strength and reliabilty.

wicd and wicd-client is a wifi management utility that allows the system to reconnect if it drops.

Hope this helps some poor sole as i had this issue.

D
Is there a reason to use ubuntu and not windows 7? I am trying to make a box for my gf that does 1080p with no external player in windows (directly in xbmc) and wanted to know if this would work with windows 7 instead? And you're not using an external player in linux right?
Win7 would choke on 1080P without hardware decode acceleration. That's not available on Windows XBMC, yet. You'd need an external player that can utilize DXVA under windows to get good 1080P playback. On linux with VDPAU which offloads decode to the GPU and makes 1080P playback possible on lower end hardware with a compatible nVidia chipse.
In this 17 page thread is there any explanation as to why we would do this and NOT do an install from XBMC Live CD? Is this faster/better in some way?
Updating and adding things are a little easier this way.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1