[LIVE] HTPC Questions
Hello All!

I have been a user of XBMC on my modded xbox for about three years now and I'm starting to consider a hardware upgrade. I want to build a nice HTPC with an IR remote, HDMI output and Optical S/PDIF output. Here are a few of the questions I have (I'll update this if more questions arise):

I am looking at an AMD Micro ATX motherboard that has a NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Video card and a Realtek ALC1200 sound card with Optical S/PDIF output.
( Link to the newegg item )
My question regarding this type of hardware setup is, will XBMC output HD quality video and sound?

I am going to be using this PC only for streaming media to my TV and sound system so I would like to install the LIVE version directly to my machine. What are the pros and cons of such a setup?

I want to be able to program a remote to work with XBMC. I have a HTPC case with a remote picked out ( Link to the newegg item ). The remote appears to be by a brand called Veris, will this work with XBMC? If there is some way for me to research this myself just point me in the right direction.

I am considering buying a Blue-Ray Drive, does XBMC support this?

I am open to any suggestions on the best way to go about building a good HTPC and very grateful for any assistance! Thanks a lot!

- Jonny
jrmorrill Wrote:3.

I want to be able to program a remote to work with XBMC. I have a HTPC case with a remote picked out ( Link to the newegg item ). The remote appears to be by a brand called Veris, will this work with XBMC? If there is some way for me to research this myself just point me in the right direction.

yes the remote will work. lirc will recognize it as an imon device.
the nice thing of this case/remote combination is you can use the remote to shutdown and startup the system.
i didn't like the up/down/left/right control though...it kinda acts like a joystick, reason enough for me to ditch it and get another remote.

jrmorrill Wrote:4.
I am considering buying a Blue-Ray Drive, does XBMC support this?

the question is not whether xbmc supports it, the question is if linux does....
and.....it doesn't
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Thanks ronie! That clears up a few of my questions. I guess it would be more practical to buy a blue-ray device for my server so I can rip the movies to digital format and then store them for playback.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HTPC Questions0