[WINDOWS] DirectX port development?
Thumbs Up 
Woho! Laugh I just successfully built and launched rev 22699 using the DirectX build configuration in VS2008 Express. Launching XBMC worked nicely this time (not more black screen) and even playing videos worked nicely! Nod

It seems things are starting to run smoothly on the DX side - one step closer to DXVA! Rolleyes

Thank you everyone that is working on this, much apreciated! Nod
i have to say nice job to the people who made this working. This is a really nice peace of code.
Curious about this: what subsystems are handled by DirectX? And how is that gonna be handled? The user will have to choose between SDL and DirectX or there's gonna be two different versions?
It looks like, we are going to have two different builds .. OpenGL and DirectX ..
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
seeker83 Wrote:Woho! Laugh I just successfully built and launched rev 22699 using the DirectX build configuration in VS2008 Express. Launching XBMC worked nicely this time (not more black screen) and even playing videos worked nicely! Nod

It seems things are starting to run smoothly on the DX side - one step closer to DXVA! Rolleyes

Thank you everyone that is working on this, much apreciated! Nod

what's the windows version you tried that on?
on win7, i get a real funky gui, but when trying to play a movie, i can only hear the sound, no video, and i completely loose control over xbmc.

on winxp, i got it running, video is also playing, but the tearing i got on the gl version is there, too.
cheers,azido :;):
azido, I suspect you need to install the dxwebupdate (DirectX runtime) under Windows 7. It could be the same problem one has when trying to use MPC-HC.

You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...laylang=en

And here you find an explanation as to why, with Win 7 having DirectX 11, you still need the web update for DX 9: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/185-63...oblem-win7

Namely: "The Win7/Vista installs do not contain the updated DX 9.0c libraires that were continually released after DX 9.0c came out. Many of the new .DLL's that were added are REQUIRED for newer games that run in DX9 mode, and must be downloaded.

Microsoft made a DX updater program that should grab any missing DX9.0c .DLL's and install them as needed"
ashlar Wrote:azido, I suspect you need to install the dxwebupdate (DirectX runtime) under Windows 7. It could be the same problem one has when trying to use MPC-HC.

that is exactly what i did yesterday, it did not help. unlike the guy with the 7048 win7 beta there was no trouble here on 7100 RC1 installing that dx stuff, but afterwards video still does not play in xmbc-dx and i'm loosing control over xbmc as soon as i have started the video.

is there anyone out there that successfully plays videos on the dx-version in a x64 win7 ?

disclaimer: yes i know this is WIP and that WIN7 is not supported yet. i'm not begging for a working version Wink i just share my experience here.
azido Wrote:what's the windows version you tried that on?
I tried it on XP SP2 and Vista SP1. But I'm running an older more stable version on my HTPC since digital surround sound sill isn't working on the later builds.

Great progress on these latest ones though, keep up the good work! Smile
seeker83 Wrote:I tried it on XP SP2 and Vista SP1. But I'm running an older more stable version on my HTPC since digital surround sound sill isn't working on the later builds.

Great progress on these latest ones though, keep up the good work! Smile

so can i assume the vista you've mentioned is the x86 version and not the x64 (64 bit) version?
nevermind

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
azido Wrote:so can i assume the vista you've mentioned is the x86 version and not the x64 (64 bit) version?
hehe oops forgot that part, I use 32-bit XP, but 64-bit Vista.

but keep in mind I didn't test much with it since surround sound still didn't work (so it's still a no go on the newer versions for now), I just fired it up and saw that it was working to play videos.

btw my HTPC is a AMD 780g chipset board, so it's got the Radeon HD 3200 integrated gpu, and I'm using the HDMI port as video/sound output to my receiver.
seeker83 Wrote:hehe oops forgot that part, I use 32-bit XP, but 64-bit Vista.

but keep in mind I didn't test much with it since surround sound still didn't work (so it's still a no go on the newer versions for now), I just fired it up and saw that it was working to play videos.

btw my HTPC is a AMD 780g chipset board, so it's got the Radeon HD 3200 integrated gpu, and I'm using the HDMI port as video/sound output to my receiver.

ok, then i might give it on my x64 vista a go, too.

i also use an ati card (radeon 3650) on an intel quad core cpu but a second sound card with coaxial out going into my receiver. i never had any issues regarding multichannel passthrough mode in xbmc on the recent svns..

let's see if that works on vista x64. would be really cool, since the dx versions are the first where initial startup on tv in fullscreen works like a charm Tongue
Just tested the XBMCSetup-Rev22781-dx version (thanks for that Big Grin )
Works fine, the display #1 #2 function opens the selected device perfectly.
Really great. On my sec. lcd monitor perfect, the 'old' crt-tv through s-video (pal 30Hz) has a little tearing but almost undetectable. I see it becouse I checked very seriously.
So great work all!

I use vista-x64 with a 9600GT for the data.

The Windowed mode could be a little more sopfisticated tho' XD
it should ideally be nonexistent. we're not a desktop app
spiff Wrote:it should ideally be nonexistent. we're not a desktop app

keeping a window mode is good for screen capturing (i.e. video of what you do).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] DirectX port development?1