[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Dynamic Audio Compression (DRC) - why is it Xbox only today?
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Is there a plan on the roadmap when DRC will have his comeback.
It's an awesome feature, especially at night.
Any comments on this? I really miss this feature..
I have found a solution to use DRC with pulseaudio, so now I can have surround and simultaneously access to the sound card, it has some flaws though. This is a easy how to:

-Install pulseaudio equalizer: https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+arc...-1_all.deb

- Run pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk enable it and save it, it will create a file under ~/.pulse/default.pa

- At the end of the file you will see:

### BEGIN: Equalized audio configuration
### Generated from: pulseaudio-equalizer
load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq master=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 plugin=mbeq_1197 label=mbeq control=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
set-default-sink ladspa_output.mbeq_1197.mbeq
set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 65536
set-sink-mute alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 0
### END: Equalized audio configuration

Comment all the lines between BEGIN and END, and add this lines:

### BEGIN: Compressor configuration
load-module module-ladspa-sink sink_name=ladspa_output.dyson_compress_1403.dysonCompress master=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 plugin=dyson_compress_1403 label=dysonCompress control=0,1,0.5,0.99
set-default-sink ladspa_output.dyson_compress_1403.dysonCompress
set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 65536
set-sink-mute alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 0
### END: Compressor configuration

Now you should change alsa_output.pci-0000_00_05.0.analog-surround-51 by what you get after master= in your equalizer config (in all lines!)

Now you should have a new output in sound preferences called ladspa or dyson something

The flaws:
- When I turn up the volume it needs like 5 to 10 seconds to get the correct volume levels
- Seems that the resume video (from puse) is not smooth, I get 3 or 4 "micro pauses" before I get smooth video playback

This seems related with the pulseaudio performance, may need more priority? the filter is the same as the alsa filter and alsa has no performance issues. I think pulseaudio is already running with best priority, so I'm still figuring out how to solve this problems
ubuntuf4n Wrote:Is there a plan on the roadmap when DRC will have his comeback.
It's an awesome feature, especially at night.

I would love to know as well.
Don't want to drop $200 on a receiver.

Just want XBMC Live -> TV via HDMI.
Damn apartment living.

With the way the prices of set-top boxes and televisions are going, many people simply attach a minimal XBMC setup (Acer Revo, etc) to a big screen tv. Just need a fix Smile
I want DRC to be applied within XBMC so that it is not active (or at least switchable) for music playback.
Using a receiver with DRC or a pulse audio plugin is not suitable as it would apply to music also.
Here's the Info:

I read in the Dev.-Section that DRC will come for XBMC.

It will come with the new AE (AudioEngine),
BUT The Dev stated that it has not a high priority and therefore it could be highly delayed.
AE is working with all OS (iirc).

So no need to bump this thread that much... :-)
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
Is a 8 month bump good?

Any word on this?
Living Room Media Center/Server: Win7x64, ~6TB of space, SABnzbd+, SickBeard, MySQL, 32" LCD Vizio Internet TV, XBMC Nightly as of probably a month ago.

Bed Room Media Center: Mac OS X 10.6, 24" iMac Core2Duo
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111106
Ned Scott Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111106

Wow! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Dynamic Audio Compression (DRC) - why is it Xbox only today?0