• 5(current)
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies
I am about to purchase one of these Revo's but I wanted to know how to integrate the Latest Nvidia Driver into the ISO. The ISO link on the first page is using a older driver; the newest version from Nvidia is 190.42 http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_displ...90.42.html
Birtybasset Wrote:It works flawlessly with 1GB RAM for me. I played killa sample last night and kept an eye on free memory and it had around 550MB free.
Can you confirm if you have 1x1gb stick or 2x512MB sticks?
Using this machine as a media center is very interesting to me. However, it doesn't have a DVD or blu-ray drive. Does anyone know if you can add an external blu-ray or dvd drive to the xbmc live install? Has anyone tried this? Are there drivers for external drives included in the install??

Thanks,
Michael
Qooop Wrote:Also, there is an iPod/iPhone remote app that works great over wifi.

Info/Link please?
justsl2 Wrote:Can you confirm if you have 1x1gb stick or 2x512MB sticks?

Hmmm, is there any way to tell without taking the cover off?
mike_c70 Wrote:Info/Link please?

I am not sure how to link to an iPone app. If you have an iPhone or iTunes just search for XBMC in the app store.

edit: Actually there is an awesome video HERE
justsl2 Wrote:Can you confirm if you have 1x1gb stick or 2x512MB sticks?

Just purchase from my local Frys for $180 +tax. Open up to install a 512MB stick that I had laying around. I can confirm that it comes with 1GB stick of DDR2 SO-DIMM with an open slot for another stick.
Smile 
Birtybasset Wrote:Nope, I bought the £149 Linux 160GB model and it only has 1GB RAm. Plus I can only select a maximum of 256 in the BIOS. AFAIK the only way to unlock 512 is by having 2GB RAM? code is 92.NVDYZ.UI0

Just wanted to note. I got the Revo AR1600, WinXP 160GB HD from Frys for $180. Open up to install a 512MB DDR2 SODIMM I had laying around and notice that I can set 512MB for the video RAM in BIOS.

So it appears that you don't actually need 2GB of RAM to be able to set 512MB in BIOS.

Cheers,
-Dazex
Unless there's a new BIOS around that allows this, that's not the case with mine. I have 1GB stock and can only set the GPU usage to 256MB max in the BIOS. Of course, it's probably not a good idea to go over that anyway if you only have 1GB, since you need to leave some RAM available for non-GPU things. FWIW, under Windows, the 256MB GPU setting works fine to give me flawless 1080p playback with MPC-HC.
Smile 
Scott R Wrote:Unless there's a new BIOS around that allows this, that's not the case with mine. I have 1GB stock and can only set the GPU usage to 256MB max in the BIOS. Of course, it's probably not a good idea to go over that anyway if you only have 1GB, since you need to leave some RAM available for non-GPU things. FWIW, under Windows, the 256MB GPU setting works fine to give me flawless 1080p playback with MPC-HC.

Scott R,
I agree with you. 256MB of GPU Ram is good if you have 1GB system RAM.

I only mention that I was given the option of 512MB GPU RAM once I installed an additional 512MB system RAM in my Revo.

Basically, I was just pointing out that you don't need 2GB in order for that 512MB GPU RAM option to show up as previous thought.

Good to know that 1080P gives flawless playback via MPC-HC with 256MB GPU RAM though.

Cheers,
-Dazex
Has anybody tried moving the Nvidia Drivers over to Camelot? I think I want to give it a shot but I am a noob and need so much hand holding it is embarrassing. I see an earlier post with somebody talking about new Nvidia drivers and I see that the Alpha has recently been pushed, so seems to me like the perfect time for somebody to update the Live installer for this scenario.
Oh, OK, so you're saying that you can add a 512MB chip (total 1.5GB of RAM) and then be able to choose 512MB allocation for the GPU?

Probably good to know, though for someone looking to upgrade the RAM, unless they already had an unused compatible 512MB chip lying around, they probably wouldn't be saving much over buying a 1GB chip.
Hi,

I've gotten the live install running on my new acer... Now I want to adjust
some network settings (static address, etc).... but I am stumped as how exactly is the proper way to do this... I can just go into unix on a terminal session and edit the relevant files, but I want to get the XBMC native interface to work correctly... Any clues?

When I go to settings -> network window, none of the address assignment stuff seems to be changeable... and when I try to set up the samba stuff it doesn't stick... What's up with that??

TIA,

Dave
^ i have the same problem here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54810
justsl2 Wrote:No. I just tried it tonight. I installed 2x2GB sticks of DDR2-667. Still only shows 512 for the buffer. On a related note. If I only put one of the 2GB sticks in I still had stutter issues with 1080p content. I wonder if it's a dual channel memory thing since others claim it works flawlessly with 2GB of RAM. All I can say for sure is that my Revo works great even with 1080p content with 4GB of DD2-667 memory.
Hi,

The stuttering (know as "jitter") may be due to this vsync problems with your TV. This is what resolved the issue for me.

http://www.revouser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33

If you don't have any knowledge of Linux and putty let me know, I'll maybe do a "How To"
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies7