• 56(current)
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies
Uuaww Wrote:Sucess, that worked like a charm. Now a new prob, xbmc is running but won't recognize any of my external hd

good news... please let us know which remedy worked. with so many trial and error its hard to determine what would be useful for future posters.
Uuaww Wrote:Did so
E trouble shooting, and checked the boot menu and my Revo does recognize the USB drive there. But not while in xbmc. I tried uninstalling live and re installing it from the command line but no luck

my archos dvr is mounted automatically... but maybe you need to mount the drives manually (or thru /etc/fstab).

try this... unplug the usb-hd, then type:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

then plug in the usb-hd and look for a log that mentions sda or sdb or sdb1 ...
started with this:
Boot revo, hit ESC and select XBMC - SAFE MODE
login
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo reboot

Finished with this:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live
sudo nvidia-installer --update -a -s -f
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
sudo reboot

wait a bit after nvidia, it takes a while.
schneidz Wrote:my archos dvr is mounted automatically... but maybe you need to mount the drives manually (or thru /etc/fstab).

try this... unplug the usb-hd, then type:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

then plug in the usb-hd and look for a log that mentions sda or sdb or sdb1 ...

I just took a picture of my tv screen, too much to type, still don'thave a computer at home...
Uuaww Wrote:I just took a picture of my tv screen, too much to type, still don'thave a computer at home...
?
then what are you using to run xbmc (you can always use '>' to redirect output to a file -- if your revo has firefox installed you can always access forum.xbmc.org from there).

Code:
mkdir ~/hd-1 ~/hd-2
sudo mount /dev/sdb1  ~/hd-1
sudo mount /dev/sdb2  ~/hd-2
sux that xbmc isnt auto-mounting them but take a look at /etc/fstab and try to guess where to put in those parameters.
ah, gave up and did a fresh install of xbmc, works fine now. thanks for all your help.
Hi all, just a quick question that I didn't feel needed its own thread. ( I have a revo) What are the benefits of installing xbmc live as opposed to just installing xbmc over top of windows7? Is it performance or just preference?

I want to be able to power up my revo and start up windows, and then automatically start up xbmc, but this way I could have the ability to play snes emulators, and age of empires 2 and such.

Just curious as I didn't see the actual benefits of doing this listed anywhere
Got myself an Acer 1600 yesterday second hand and installed xbmc live 10.0 and have everything working brilliantly... on VGA.

When i use the HDMI output into my HDMI 27inch LG tv which works on 720p with my blu ray player, xbox and playstation3, the revo will only output a max resolution of 480p which no option in the settings to go any higher.

Any suggestions?
Kenyan Wrote:Hi all, just a quick question that I didn't feel needed its own thread. ( I have a revo) What are the benefits of installing xbmc live as opposed to just installing xbmc over top of windows7? Is it performance or just preference?

I want to be able to power up my revo and start up windows, and then automatically start up xbmc, but this way I could have the ability to play snes emulators, and age of empires 2 and such.

Just curious as I didn't see the actual benefits of doing this listed anywhere

xbmc-live is basically debian linux with all the excess fat trimmed off.
its programmed to autologin/ autostart the xbmc dashboard when you hit the power button to give the look and feel of a set top box.
one can easily install linux programs by accessing the console (but only the most popular game franchises are ported to linux).
is there an updated guide for 10.10 or is it the same as the 9.x live version??
modey Wrote:my revo is running fine apart from on 1080p files when it buffers a lot, anyone help as to what i need to do?

I added a second stick of ram and a chrystal hd card, buffers a bit at the beginning of the playing of a file but I am sure thats due to the wireless connection to my media.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
blairw Wrote:Got myself an Acer 1600 yesterday second hand and installed xbmc live 10.0 and have everything working brilliantly... on VGA.

When i use the HDMI output into my HDMI 27inch LG tv which works on 720p with my blu ray player, xbox and playstation3, the revo will only output a max resolution of 480p which no option in the settings to go any higher.

Any suggestions?

Check your video playback settings, and your display info. What flavor of XBMC are you running?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Uuaww Wrote:started with this:
Boot revo, hit ESC and select XBMC - SAFE MODE
login
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo reboot

Finished with this:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live
sudo nvidia-installer --update -a -s -f
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
sudo reboot

wait a bit after nvidia, it takes a while.

I have XBMC installed on my 1600 REVO (no windows). Will this work to update\upgrade XBMC or is this only for LIVE ? or am I confused and it's still called LIVE even though it's installed on the HD.
^ what worked for me was logging into the revo via ssh and doing:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install xbmc
schneidz Wrote:^ what worked for me was logging into the revo via ssh and doing:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install xbmc

Ran sudo apt- update and got the following:
Code:
Err http://www.lonelycoder.com hts Release.gpg
  Could not connect to www.lonelycoder.com:80 (194.48.213.8), connection timed out
Err http://www.lonelycoder.com hts/main Translation-en_US
  Unable to connect to www.lonelycoder.com http:
Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch http://www.lonelycoder.com/debian/dists/hts/Release.gpg  Could not connect to www.lonelycoder.com:80 (194.48.213.8), connection timed out

W: Failed to fetch http://www.lonelycoder.com/debian/dists/hts/main/i18n/Translation-en_US.bz2  Unable to connect to www.lonelycoder.com http:

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO install XBMC Live on Acer Aspire Revo - The Complete Guide for Newbies7